• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz PM 25 upgrade worth it?

yussef961

hi I have had for 4 years now a PM 25 which works well and I love, I lack some new features like optical output etc, I know there are much newer amps (mine is from 1985-1990 approx).
those are the specs from a new one
Mesures
Réponse en fréquence (entrée analogique) : 10 Hz à 40 kHz
Rapport signal/bruit (audio) : 90 dB
Distorsion Harmonique Totale THD (audio) : 0,1 %
and these from mine

Specifications​

Power output: 30 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
Frequency response: 10Hz to 50kHz
Total harmonic distortion: 0.1%
Signal to noise ratio: 83dB (MM), 86dB (line)
so in paper it seems worse lol
as far as sound quality as it evolved?
thx

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why do you want to upgrade? What could another amplifier do to make you happier? More power, better sound? Soundwise amps do not differ that much.

What room and speakers do you have? In the room you can make the biggest upgrade, as in treating the walls for less echo.

OP
yussef961

yussef961

hi thx, soundwise i feared new ones would be worst , ah yes my speakers 2 towers cabasse mt 32 that i love...
i wanted features such as wifi, internet connection optical ports etc
but in fact i decided to keep mine lol thx

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
hi thx, soundwise i feared new ones would be worst
A well designed modern amplifier won't sound worse than this. Also, there's nothing to suggest the PM 25 is a "classic" amplifier that sets it apart from anything else in that era. So, if you are happy with it, don't change it.

OP
yussef961

yussef961

i thought the one i was comparing it would be worse because of its specs :
new one :
Frequency response: 10Hz to 50kHz
old one
Réponse en fréquence (entrée analogique) : 10 Hz à 40 kHz
even though i may not hear the difference

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Those specifications are completely irrelevant! Any good amplifier should have a flat frequency response. What is more, you can't hear much above 16kHz let alone between 40 and 50kHz. I suspect any modern, well designed amplifier will sound as good if not better than the PM 25. But, if you like it, don't change it.

Top Bottom