• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3e audio TPA3255 260-2-29A Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier (kit):

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 53 20.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 194 76.4%

• Total voters

jkorten

Search Preamp DIY kit on amazon - many tube and solid state options (NE5532 for instance, a very old but standard high end op amp that is a bit hard sounding compared to the latest from burr brown). I'm not a fan and prefer a separate preamp. But - try the potentiometer first! That's your cheapest option. One side of the pot to + in, the other side of the pot to - in, and the wiper goes to +in on the board and the - in goes to the - in on the board. I'd start with between a 20K and 50K pot and see how that sounds. (Audio taper).

daniboun

Major Contributor
Nice, which power supply is that?
400W with active PFC.
I am using the same one here

DSJR

Major Contributor
Search Preamp DIY kit on amazon - many tube and solid state options (NE5532 for instance, a very old but standard high end op amp that is a bit hard sounding compared to the latest from burr brown).
My preamp has NE5532's and what comes out subjectively is exactly the same as what goes in (been properly checked as best as I can do). Any proper evidence to show the Burr Browns 'sound' different assuming both have been properly implemented?

lazerharp

400W with active PFC.
I am using the same one here

Thanks, did you order it from Ali? I am a little scared of buying power supplies direct from China. They don't have any EU or American certification I guess?

Would it be possible to have an external like this?

daniboun

Major Contributor

xschop

It is not an usual practice but works performance but at the risk of sacrificing performance

View attachment 348322
Again thank you for the reply. I am only asking questions because I'd Like to put this 3255 board in the same type custom case I put the Aiyima A07 (has large integrated dial. Everything must fit in a 6.50" diameter cylinder that is 6.00" tall internally. I recently added LM4562's and am extremely happy with the quality of sound. If this can be accomplished, I'm on board with this board, no pun intended.

XS amp case.jpg

daniboun

Major Contributor
Thank you ! :)

How about using an external?

I am in the planning stage right now. I will get back later when I got all information.
The right question is > what is your budget ?

lazerharp

The right question is > what is your budget ?
Well as I wrote before. I have sold some expensive equipment so the budget for this project isn't a problem. The reason I ask about external power supply is because I have an extra 48V Fosi PSU and I have a small case that only fit the amp board.

If I go with internal is there any difference in sound quality between the ones you suggest and the one used in Amir test?

daniboun

Major Contributor
Thank you ! :)

How about using an external?

I am in the planning stage right now. I will get back later when I got all information.
Before you launch headlong into it. I shared different projects based on 3E Audio and Sylph Audio modules. I invite you to read them, I used different PSUs each time
The projects are quite detailed with prices, links to elements etc etc

lazerharp

Before you launch headlong into it. I shared different projects based on 3E Audio and Sylph Audio modules. I invite you to read them, I used different PSUs each time
The projects are quite detailed with prices, links to elements etc etc

Yes, I know i have read about all of them and following them closely. That´s why I´m still int the planning stadium :)

And as I wrote:
" Well as I wrote before. I have sold some expensive equipment so the budget for this project isn't a problem. The reason I ask about external power supply is because I have an extra 48V Fosi PSU and I have a small case that only fit the amp board."

If I go with internal or external is there any major difference in sound quality/ Sinad between the ones you suggest and the one used in Amir test (Morsun)?
I also saw in the Sylph thread that Sylph suggested you to compare with the stock PA5 supply.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Yes, I know i have read about all of them and following them closely. That´s why I´m still int the planning stadium :)

And as I wrote:
" Well as I wrote before. I have sold some expensive equipment so the budget for this project isn't a problem. The reason I ask about external power supply is because I have an extra 48V Fosi PSU and I have a small case that only fit the amp board."

If I go with internal or external is there any major difference in sound quality/ Sinad between the ones you suggest and the one used in Amir test (Morsun)?
I also saw in the Sylph thread that Sylph suggested you to compare with the stock PA5 supply.
All those high end TPA325X boards have an excellent PSRR. Any good PSU should be fine.
I still have a preference for the Micro Audio which is not regulated but which therefore seems to bring more dynamism at the bottom of the spectrum.

lazerharp

All those high end TPA325X boards have an excellent PSRR. Any good PSU should be fine.
I still have a preference for the Micro Audio which is not regulated but which therefore seems to bring more dynamism at the bottom of the spectrum.
Thank you for all the help!

daniboun

Major Contributor
Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor
4Ohm or 8Ohm. PSU only 250Watt
Check tables I shared )

So you can understand current / voltage limitation about TPA325X :

Here the graphs. from Texas Instrument for TPA3255 & TPA3251 chips

1707467609485.png

Last edited:

rsqt

Have you measured it or is it only your "opinion"? As you said......we are here on ASR for measured datas. ;)
Have you got an accusticaly optimised room and DSP for linearising frequency response? Otherwise it is a bit "into the blue".

daniboun

Major Contributor
Have you measured it or is it only your "opinion"? As you said......we are here on ASR for measured datas. ;)
Have you got an accusticaly optimised room and DSP for linearising frequency response? Otherwise it is a bit "into the blue".

As I said in my previous thread, I have not had the opportunity to measure this point but on the other hand, the reputation of Micro-Audio PSUs is known here. Here is the only FFT we have.

As it is an unregulated power supply, the only possible comparison = VS an unregulated Hypex PSU which is renowned for its performance. The Hypex PSU has a Ripple of around 85mv
In the audible band, the Micro-Audio performs better.
From 120 Hz to 2 kHz, spurious tones are less significant on the Micro-Audio PSU as well

index.php

You can also check a short measurements here (Micro-Audio + TPA3255 board)

Last edited:
Top Bottom