• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz NR1510 AVR Review

Rate this AVR:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 221 81.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 41 15.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

KxDx

It seems like ALL of the Denon and Marantz models have gone up 30-40% in the last two years. None of them seem cheap to me any more.
Inflation has hit the audio sector especially hard. Parasound prices have practically doubled in the last 2 or 3 years. Phones and video game consoles are subsidized by software sales but audio components have to be profitable at time of sale.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wake me up when high performance AVR is made. Something tells me it's going to be a slumber worthy of a vampire.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the NR1506 and the NR1710. As mentioned in a previous post my measurements of the 1710 indicate that the 1kHz distortion was a measurement error. Using my portable computer these distortion products disappear. However the jitter problem and the slow filter is still there. As noted in spec, these slim line AVRs lack a jitter reduction component present in the larger AVRs.

Bogda

Wake me up when high performance AVR is made. Something tells me it's going to be a slumber worthy of a vampire.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm, it’s a big regression in performance from the NR1608 that I measured a while back. I don't see my DAC measurements, but at least these are the analog amplifier measurements.

Note the frequency of the THD+N going from 20 to 88.2 kHz not your usual 20 kHz.

1670944966919.png

1670944994776.png

This is a Google Search for the internals of a NR1608. The brown capacitor on the left next to the power supply is bigger than the one on the NR1510. The WiFi module on the older unit is at the upper right on the NR1608 as opposed to the center on the NR1510. May being further away from the amplification circuitry helps. The wires coming off the power supply are twisted on the NR1608 but not on the NR1510. I wonder if those small changes makes a difference or if there is something else. I would have expected the DAC performance to drop, but not the amplification portion!

marantz-nr1608-72-channel-full-4k-ultra-hd-network-av-receiver-.jpg

VS

index.php

raindance

Major Contributor
I have one of these receivers and use it for my living room entertainment setup. The performance is perfectly adequate for TV and movie watching and despite the measured performance challenges, which are disappointing, let's be real, what is the best SINAD streaming television can provide? And even if the quality of the streaming content improves, the trend continues where dialogue is mixed further and further beneath multiple layers of sound effects to the point where even my 22 yo son, who has excellent hearing, has to turn subtitles on (and this is with the center channel boosted by 6dB over "normal" and using the Audyssey level compression feature on its medium setting).

Properly setup, it sounds way better than more expensive systems I hear at other people's homes that are improperly setup (like, you know, the typical "surround sound" system where all 5 speakers are stacked on top of the TV cabinet :)) haha - this was a joke, but I have seen this type of setup far too often. Point is, for those of us who take the time to properly place speakers and subs and calibrate their receivers, even substandard performance has the possibility of being good enough. Plus it sounds at least 10 million times better than rear facing TV speakers (before someone jumps on me, yes, this is an exaggeration).

I wouldn't use it as the basis for a music-only system, but that wasn't the reason I purchased it. It was a combination of sizing, features and a low price.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 'continuingly' poor measurements of these (not cheap!) AVRs makes me think maybe my old Emotiva UMC200 (HDMI only) wasn't so bad in comparison!! And that thing is ancient now....
Hm....

Tangband

Major Contributor
I have the NR1506 and the NR1710. As mentioned in a previous post my measurements of the 1710 indicate that the 1kHz distortion was a measurement error. Using my portable computer these distortion products disappear. However the jitter problem and the slow filter is still there. As noted in spec, these slim line AVRs lack a jitter reduction compo have the NR1506 and the NR1710.
There has been some desinformation for a couple of years on the swedish forum Faktiskt.io about AVRs , that they are infact good. Thanks to Amirm, we can all see that this was never the case.

Its nice though to see Faktiskt.io are sobering up 2022 thanks to new members. ( i-or to name one ).

Looking at Amirms reviews , most AVRs seems to be big compromises regardless of price, most of them are not good at all even for high amounts of money, with worse SINAD than standalone dacs for 15 dollars and many 2-channel amplifiers for 150 dollars will give you a much better sound for two channel use.

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There has been some desinformation for a couple of years on the swedish forum Faktiskt.io about AVRs , that they are infact good. Thanks to Amirm, we can all see that this was never the case.

Its nice though to see Faktiskt.io are sobering up 2022 thanks to new members. ( i-or to name one ).

Looking at Amirms reviews , AVRs seems to be big compromises, they are not good at all even for the money, with worse SINAD than standalone dacs for 15 dollars and many 2-channel amplifiers for 150 dollars will give you a much better sound for two channel use.
Yes they are poorer than dedicated devices. However, my concern is the different results here. While I got the 1 kHz signals as well they disappeared when I used my portable. 1 kHz pollution can be from USB.

Repdetect

Forum Donor
The 'continuingly' poor measurements of these (not cheap!) AVRs makes me think maybe my old Emotiva UMC200 (HDMI only) wasn't so bad in comparison!! And that thing is ancient now....
Hm....
Agree. I think the unit that was tested was defective. I bought a UMC-200 when they were first introduced. Still going strong.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
a manufacturer with the panache of Marantz…
Marantz left their panache in the 20th century. Since the brand moved the Japan it was all cloak-and-dagger stuff and no substance.

mctron

Woof! Not unexpected though to be honest. I have a 1608 feeding a Hypex :p:p:p

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So this is the conundrum that presents itself to anyone wanting to assemble a highly performant home theater: On the one hand, the content providers have made it virtually impossible to do surround sound audio codec processing on the most capable digital multitasker you have in your house, namely, your PC. If they would, you could receive content via eARC, decode on software like JRiver, and send a digital stream via USB to a highly capable multi channel DAC. Problem solved. But no, hell no! Copy protection makes that a non starter for the content providers. So, no way, Jose.

So, on the other hand, the the audio equipment providers have in their turn filled this gap by providing processors and receivers bundled together with DACS and amplifiers which perform at or below the level of 1960's and '70's solid state gear with a form factor most nearly resembling a college dorm room refrigerator sporting a front panel that lights up like the one on a Gulfstream V--which is totally not distracting if you want to watch a movie. All for the price of the average audiophile's US federal income tax annual refund. And, that audiophile will need that check every year because said receiver will either fail and be unrepairable after a coupla years, or else be rendered obsolete because of new connections, codecs, processing, etc. At which point it will need be tossed onto the front lawn's AV receiver pile which is next to LuLu's broken dryer and Grandpa's red,rusted out '57 Ford pick truck up on blocks.

And yeah, this Marantz does look like another one for the pile.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
With gear like this one has to wonder why building competent AVR´s and processors is so difficult? Is it orders of magnitude harder than preamps and integrateds or what? Sure, I´m not expecting crystaline 115 db SINAD due to the use of DSP´s, but around 100 db is quite reasonable to expect. I mean, Denon and Anthem have reached it...

respice finem

Major Contributor
So this is the conundrum that presents itself to anyone wanting to assemble a highly performant home theater: On the one hand, the content providers have made it virtually impossible to do surround sound audio codec processing on the most capable digital multitasker you have in your house, namely, your PC. If they would, you could receive content via eARC, decode on software like JRiver, and send a digital stream via USB to a highly capable multi channel DAC. Problem solved. But no, hell no! Copy protection makes that a non starter for the content providers. So, no way, Jose.

So, on the other hand, the the audio equipment providers have in their turn filled this gap by providing processors and receivers bundled together with DACS and amplifiers which perform at or below the level of 1960's and '70's solid state gear with a form factor most nearly resembling a college dorm room refrigerator sporting a front panel that lights up like the one on a Gulfstream V--which is totally not distracting if you want to watch a movie. All for the price of the average audiophile's US federal income tax annual refund. And, that audiophile will need that check every year because said receiver will either fail and be unrepairable after a coupla years, or else be rendered obsolete because of new connections, codecs, processing, etc. At which point it will need be tossed onto the front lawn's AV receiver pile which is next to LuLu's broken dryer and Grandpa's red,rusted out '57 Ford pick truck up on blocks.

And yeah, this Marantz does look like another one for the pile.
Some (including me) have switched back to stereo. For those reasons too, and one more: Apart from a few really good productions, most are IMHO "surround for surround's sake", which is tiring. Or maybe my "cinema for one" just wasn't good enough, and/or is it just me getting old, IDK.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally understanding the Marantz point. They make you feel good when you buy Denon.
Unfortunately, Denon do not have such a product.

Top Bottom