• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz "Cinema Series" "2022-2023" AV Launch Thread

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now official. :)

Flak

Industry Insider

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know this is the state of the market, but it just seems wrong that the most expensive model is the only one without power amps? Couldn't they make the cheapest one without power amps and instead have XLR outs? Surely making an output with XLRs at 3 or 4 volts is cheaper than a power amp. And how does the least expensive 7.2 channel model have Atmos? I thought Atmos needed 5.1.2 minimum.

Of course until Amir gets hand on one we don't know if they are really better in basic performance or just prettied up face with mediocre performance at price gouging prices.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Their philosophy is entry level is less power less features, grows to more channels with more power and more features, and their high end is separates. Having an entry level AV processor with pre-outs to use with other multi-channel amps is just beyond their grasp.

Last edited:

retro

@Flak ,
Since u participated in this thread, can u explain what Dirac functions will be available for the Denon/Marantz models..?
DLBC..?? Anything else..???

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I would echo what Blumlein says but I know market positioning doesnt allow it.

I've always liked the look of the Marantz NR1500/1700 series units... but 50w x 5/7 in that package doesnt make much sense to me.

They dont have the room for preouts so its kind of a waste of a unit... coupled with reliability issues from shoving all that into a slim package...

It would make more sense to me to create an alternate product with preouts and no amps and sell it at the same price... it would undoubtedly cost them less but they market researched this and realise the market just isnt there.

That Cinema 70s looks neat but its a dead end.

DrStranger

And also some aditional info, same page as @GXAlan pasted in for Denon, in french but we get the idea:

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For me would be Cinema 70 and use its pre-outs for my separate multichannel power amp. Let's see if someone sends one for Amir to measure.

Flak

Industry Insider
@Flak ,
Since u participated in this thread, can u explain what Dirac functions will be available for the Denon/Marantz models..?
DLBC..?? Anything else..???
My understanding is that Sound United will complete the Dirac Live integration in March 2023, Dirac Bass Control will come later and I cannot comment about "anything else" :)

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
My understanding is that Sound United will complete the Dirac Live integration in March 2023, Dirac Bass Control will come later and I cannot comment about "anything else" :)
I think you just earned about 5000 friendly hugs from many interested folk! :)
Thank you!

DrStranger

Help me out here, The C60=X28 and the C50=X38? Which ones are the X48 and X68?

These does not have QMS either, wonder why both Denon and Marantz left it out on the new ones?

Last edited:

SynthesisCinema

Help me out here, The C60=X28 and the C50=X38?
Correct. Cinema 40 = X4800h and Cinema 30 should be introduced 2023, new version of SR8015.

Cinema 60 comes with 7.2 preouts where as Denon X2800H doesn´t, missed opportunity again! Cinema 50 is lowest model which has Dirac Live upgradability.

Cinema 70 comes with the low level Audussey MultEQ version. Cinema 60 has MultEQ XT which is nearly useless due to how it does most correction at high frequencies.

index.php

DrStranger

Correct. Cinema 40 = X4800h and Cinema 30 should be introduced 2023, new version of SR8015.

Cinema 60 comes with 7.2 preouts where as Denon X2800H doesn´t, missed opportunity again! Cinema 50 is lowest model which has Dirac Live upgradability.

Cinema 70 comes with the low level Audussey MultEQ version. Cinema 60 has MultEQ XT which is nearly useless due to how it does most correction at high frequencies.

index.php
So the C60 has preouts but not full HDMI 8K and no DIRAC.

Honestly if Marantz makes it through this release, I would be suprised. If I sumarize this, Denon X3800 will be the sweet spot for Sound United, more or less.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Honestly if Marantz makes it through this release, I would be suprised.
I think you are underestimating the power of consumerism. People worldwide will buy Marantz just because it is Marantz. They would have to have a seriously flawed approach to break that.
Moreover, they are positioning themselves to compete directly with the other companies producing <$10K "Super-Processors." Arcam, Anthem, JBL... this is where the meat of the class is hanging out. Perceived Value will make a statement in the eyes of many folk who will automatically value Marantz at that level, if not elevate them slightly more by brand recognition alone.

I'm not saying it's right, but the psychological aspect of their pricing and brand elevation scheme will make up for what they may lose down-market.

We on the forums tend to be focused on slightly different matters, too.

DrStranger

I think you are underestimating the power of consumerism. People worldwide will buy Marantz just because it is Marantz. They would have to have a seriously flawed approach to break that.
Moreover, they are positioning themselves to compete directly with the other companies producing <$10K "Super-Processors." Arcam, Anthem, JBL... this is where the meat of the class is hanging out. Perceived Value will make a statement in the eyes of many folk who will automatically value Marantz at that level, if not elevate them slightly more by brand recognition alone.

I'm not saying it's right, but the psychological aspect of their pricing and brand elevation scheme will make up for what they may lose down-market.

We on the forums tend to be focused on slightly different matters, too.
Both yes and no, there is one more thing that makes me say this. When the economy hits like it has people will stop for a minute and think more rational, for example: What do I realy need vs nice to have, lets go for need: pre-out with individual internal amp turn off, DIRAC, HDMI 8K, with a rational price.

Marantz wants aprox 300/400(?) more for its X3800 version? Does it make sense? Not to me at least.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And how does the least expensive 7.2 channel model have Atmos? I thought Atmos needed 5.1.2 minimum.
I guess 7.2 is configurable as 5.2.2.

DrStranger

Can we expect DIRAC spatial room correction in the future, on DIRAC enabled AVR's, current as well as past released models? :)

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I like the looks of the Cinema 70... I think tis sort of well price for most markets... if a unit is over $2k usd then it goes ballistic is markets with lesser currencies.

This unit DOES have pre-outs for all channels. I see this as a good evolution of what the market wants... it still has phono, it has 3 line ins and it looks like it only has 1 x coax and 1 x optical. Looks like no usb in.

They removed all the stupid stuff like analog video inputs.

The unit also seems to have something called "Bi-Amp Drive"... I wonder if this is the ability to have the internal 50w drive the mid range and you use an external power amp to drive the woofers???

I wonder how the electronics inside work to do that? electro crossover?

DrStranger

I like the looks of the Cinema 70... I think tis sort of well price for most markets... if a unit is over $2k usd then it goes ballistic is markets with lesser currencies.

This unit DOES have pre-outs for all channels. I see this as a good evolution of what the market wants... it still has phono, it has 3 line ins and it looks like it only has 1 x coax and 1 x optical. Looks like no usb in.

They removed all the stupid stuff like analog video inputs.

The unit also seems to have something called "Bi-Amp Drive"... I wonder if this is the ability to have the internal 50w drive the mid range and you use an external power amp to drive the woofers???

I wonder how the electronics inside work to do that? electro crossover?
Did you read the Q&A on the US site for the 70S? It seems the internal amps cant be turned off on the C70S...

Bren Derlin

I'm curious to know why the C50 would have significantly improved dynamics over the C60. This is disappointing, as many people don't NEED 9 channels, much less 4 sub outs. One would hope the a company would use the same base processing from one receiver to the next in the same family, but simply stepping up to more channels as you go up in scale. I had high hopes for this, as I need to replace an old Denon 3805 AVR, but changing the dynamics between the 60 and 50 is just dumb, and makes me want to look elsewhere. I hate when companies do this... There are plenty of other reasons to step up to the Cinema 60 (11 channels, 4 independent sub outs, etc). Changing the processing to improve the sound quality shouldn't be one of them — not in the same family of receivers.

Top Bottom