• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz "Cinema Series" "2022-2023" AV Launch Thread

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What is nice is that it is reliable (iOS/android) and auto switches native sample rates. As far as I know, TV based apps and the NVIDIA Shield will sample rate convert.

If you want “UltraHD” (24/44 or higher) from Amazon Music HD, you need to use the HEOS app as opposed to the Amazon Music app.
FWIW, the NVIDIA Shield Pro, as of OS version 9.0, has a setting called "Match content audio resolution" that preserves bit depth and sample rate over HDMI for high-resolution and multi-channel sources. This means that, for instance, on the native Android TV TIDAL app, you can play Atmos and Master tracks at full resolution. Atmos in particular is quite nice on a home theater and TIDAL has quite a bit of Atmos content. Previously, I was a Qobuz subscriber, but switched due to the 2-channel limitation in their library as well as a less-polished app.

minus3dB

This thing is built like a tank...very pleased with the sound so far though have not done any room tuning yet. The upmixers are so much better than the 10 year old Dolby ProLogix IIx I was running with. Best sound so far was on an Atmos recording of classical guitar & orchestra rendered at DD + Dolby Surround on my 7.1 setup. Spoiler alert: I couldn't hear any difference between the two reconstruction filters. ;-)

Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 7.11.29 PM.png

minus3dB

Responding to a question by HiFi5.2 where I posted this in the AVM 70 thread, "Does the AV 10 get warm?"

I've only checked once just when streaming youtube videos running Dolby Surround and Audyysey filters, and it was barely warm to the touch.

Update: the area I touched was above the HDMI board along the rear 1/3rd of the top cover. It was difficult to get to but the area above the power supply felt a good bit warmer, but certainly not hot. I shot a temperature gun at the rear of the top through a glass shelf a couple inches above it and measured in the low 90's (Farenheit). I imagine it's 10-ish degrees warmer over the linear power supply based on the touch test. This was while I was streaming Atmos (actually multiple PCM streams if I understand how the ATV processes the Atmos content) from an AppleTV 4K Gen 3 via an ARC HDMI interface on my TV with the AV 10 rendering it as DD + Dolby Surround, with Audyysey filters ablaze.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
damn, next time i'll read their homepage ;) thanks!
in that case guess it would be even bad to buy the ddrc. i'll wait for dirac in a year when its supported in the marantz
The use of those minidsp devices are overrated. If you are obsess in gettibg the smoothest possible base curve, just use the Editor app with Ratbudyssey and you can get very decent results. You can get 20-150 Hz within +/- 2 dB or better, and then you can tilt the curve for more bass, all achievable with the editor app.

Then just try Dirac when it becomes available If you dont mind spending another $700 for incremental gain. In any case, there is no point having the minidsps with more wires dangling. Been there, done that!

tjcinnamon

The use of those minidsp devices are overrated. If you are obsess in gettibg the smoothest possible base curve, just use the Editor app with Ratbudyssey and you can get very decent results. You can get 20-150 Hz within +/- 2 dB or better, and then you can tilt the curve for more bass, all achievable with the editor app.

Then just try Dirac when it becomes available If you dont mind spending another $700 for incremental gain. In any case, there is no point having the minidsps with more wires dangling. Been there, done that!
miniDSP's are good for multiple subs timing and gains can work wonders without even any EQ.

However, I'm a shill for MultiEq-X. It's only $200 extra and great gain can be found. Best sound I've gotten vs Dirac and XT32. I used an external mic with REW to generate the filters. Drew my own curve and it was on the nose.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
miniDSP's are good for multiple subs timing and gains can work wonders without even any EQ.
My understand is that it can do very well in that sense if used with MSO. Back when I played with it there was no MSO and no matter what I did, it could not do better than Audyssey XT32 with sub EQ HT, but that's with 2 subs. The REW generated equalizers do showed smooth response achieved quickly but that's for the MMP, Audyssey works on the listening bubble so if you compare MMP only, it is not a proper comparison. I removed it eventually and was please with the much less cluttered wires, and don't have to second guess whether the minidsp's 2 V max if hurting anything, it shouldn't but just don't like to be limited to 2 V, especially for subouts.

tjcinnamon

My understand is that it can do very well in that sense if used with MSO. Back when I played with it there was no MSO and no matter what I did, it could not do better than Audyssey XT32 with sub EQ HT, but that's with 2 subs. The REW generated equalizers do showed smooth response achieved quickly but that's for the MMP, Audyssey works on the listening bubble so if you compare MMP only, it is not a proper comparison. I removed it eventually and was please with the much less cluttered wires, and don't have to second guess whether the minidsp's 2 V max if hurting anything, it shouldn't but just don't like to be limited to 2 V, especially for subouts.
Over time, I've learned that less things in the chain is better. I've simplified as much as I could so far. I'd love if I could have 4 (or 3) independent sub outs now that MQX would allow me to individually EQ them and I could get rid of my miniDSP. I have 3 subs, so that's my constraint.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DrStranger

A small review:

ban25

Time: 27:22
Sorry, my comment was not specific enough. I was referring to the unsubstantiated (and incorrect) claim that the X6800H was using an AKM DAC. We all know that the Cinema 30, X6800H, A1H, and AV10 are all using ESS DACs.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, my comment was not specific enough. I was referring to the unsubstantiated (and incorrect) claim that the X6800H was using an AKM DAC. We all know that the Cinema 30, X6800H, A1H, and AV10 are all using ESS DACs.

One thing I find very interesting, someone mentioned before (I couldn't find that post, that was from not that long ago) that since the ES9017S is an 8 channel chip, so 2XES9017S can only do 16 channels, not counting Z2,3 and Net. That means there is 1 channel short for models such as the X6800H that has 17 discrete channels not including z2,3 and net.

In previous D+M models, they use the 3XPCM5100 for Z2,3 and Net, that is a fact as there are service manuals anyone can see. The X6800H and C30 supposedly (based on seemingly reliable sources so far) has 2X ES9017S and an unknow number or PCM5102A, so it is possible that they use the PCM5102A for the 4 subouts, or the PCM5102A are still used for Z2,3 and Net and the missing subout channel will then have to share the same DAC channel of another subout, example, sub1,2, each has its own but sub3,4 share the share. When I email Denon on this, the rep's response was vague, but seem to indicate since there is only 1 LFE channel, while each subout can have its own adjustments, it does not mean every subout must have its own dac channel. I find this interesting, but I guess there is no chance of getting the truth unless D+M eventually make their service manuals available, or someone do a teardown, plus some in depth technical review/analysis.

ban25

One thing I find very interesting, someone mentioned before (I couldn't find that post, that was from not that long ago) that since the ES9017S is an 8 channel chip, so 2XES9017S can only do 16 channels, not counting Z2,3 and Net. That means there is 1 channel short for models such as the X6800H that has 17 discrete channels not including z2,3 and net.

In previous D+M models, they use the 3XPCM5100 for Z2,3 and Net, that is a fact as there are service manuals anyone can see. The X6800H and C30 supposedly (based on seemingly reliable sources so far) has 2X ES9017S and an unknow number or PCM5102A, so it is possible that they use the PCM5102A for the 4 subouts, or the PCM5102A are still used for Z2,3 and Net and the missing subout channel will then have to share the same DAC channel of another subout, example, sub1,2, each has its own but sub3,4 share the share. When I email Denon on this, the rep's response was vague, but seem to indicate since there is only 1 LFE channel, while each subout can have its own adjustments, it does not mean every subout must have its own dac channel. I find this interesting, but I guess there is no chance of getting the truth unless D+M eventually make their service manuals available, or someone do a teardown, plus some in depth technical review/analysis.
I haven't checked the manuals, but do we know if the X6800H, for instance, can drive all 3 zones simultaneously?

As to the subs, we know they have independent delays and presumably EQ (?), so I imagine 1 LFE source would turn into 4 separate digital channels inside the pipeline which need to be converted to analog.

ban25

I haven't checked the manuals, but do we know if the X6800H, for instance, can drive all 3 zones simultaneously?

As to the subs, we know they have independent delays and presumably EQ (?), so I imagine 1 LFE source would turn into 4 separate digital channels inside the pipeline which need to be converted to analog.
I checked and you can play different sources simultaneously across all three zones.

It's pretty interesting that the internal layout is much different for the 30 compared to the 6800 unlike the 40 and 4800 which looked almost identical. Perhaps to better help with thermals?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I checked and you can play different sources simultaneously across all three zones.

Thanks, that's the same as the previous models and therefore the TI PCM5100 series dac ICs are most likely (but not necessarily because they could have designed around it) for Z2,3 and Net.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, but as the support agent told me, "There is only 1 discreet LFE channel in any audio recording. While there can be adjustments made to the individual subwoofers, that is via the crossovers of the speakers, or just their volume/timing, which can happen after the main signal has gone through the DAC. "

So far I am quite happy with Denon and Marantz support. If you ask politely, but insist on getting an answer, even on technical matters outside of their domain, they would still try to get you an answer that may not be precise and/or definitive, but to me it is still better than no getting an answer at all like it was well before Masimo took over.

Top Bottom