• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SacreDro

Anyonw got the R-S700? Just received mine and the sound is disappointing to say the least.
Sound is thin, lack of power, volume knob seems dry and sticky with a little play, no where near the power of my little Sansui A-E770 which is rated at 50 watts.

D

Deleted member 48726

Anyonw got the R-S700? Just received mine and the sound is disappointing to say the least.
Sound is thin, lack of power, volume knob seems dry and sticky with a little play, no where near the power of my little Sansui A-E770 which is rated at 50 watts.
Maybe start a thread?

Yamaha 5000

Forum Donor

Specifications​

Tuning range: FM, MW

Power output: 100 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 100kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.019%

Input sensitivity: 3.5mV (MM), 200mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 87dB (MM), 100dB (line)

Output: 200mV (line)

Dimensions: 435 x 151 x 387mm

Weight: 11.2kg

Accessories: remote control

Year: 2010

Yamaha 5000

Forum Donor

Specifications​

Tuning range: FM, MW

Power output: 100 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 100kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.019%

Input sensitivity: 3.5mV (MM), 200mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 87dB (MM), 100dB (line)

Output: 200mV (line)

Dimensions: 435 x 151 x 387mm

Weight: 11.2kg

Accessories: remote control

Year: 2010
What speakers are you running with this receiver?

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had several and have one, but i'm not uncivilized and so i have a silver one. ;-)
The power amp section and power supply is exactly the same as the one in the A-S701/801.
Yes, the volume knob is rickety, but it has a big pro: it's electronic and will never fail!

Maybe what you are hearing is ... a lack of distortion? It has copious amounts of power, low distortion and low noise.
1686602764245.png

The Sansui amp is a multichannel amp in midi format. It has tiny filter caps, and compared to the R-S700 tiny heat sinks.
I would say your Sansui could have a low dampening factor that allows the speakers to distort unchecked in the lower end. Maybe it's drifting out of spec too.
I doubt the Yamaha has these problems yet. Could it be that you are now blessed with cold, controlled and undistorted sound? ;-)

Or maybe the Yamaha is defective or not set up correctly, can't rule that out yet.
Tell us more about your setup, particularly your speakers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the volume knob is rickety, but it has a big pro: it's electronic and will never fail!
Those digital volume control assemblies do fail. The contacts in them if copper or silver colored metal alloys get gummed up and then they need to be disassembled, cleaned and the metal scoured and treated with metal contact cleaner and then seal it with a dielectric silicon. The volume control ICs fail too and they are a hybrid so if one fails in any of several duties they perform the entire unit is toast because Yamaha is not supplying the CPU and other ICs relative to the volume control. I would need the service manual to denote exactly which ICs but I've done this several times with the newer Yamaha integrated amps and receivers with digital volume control and it seems to be a pattern.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Those digital volume control assemblies do fail. The contacts in them if copper or silver colored metal alloys get gummed up and then they need to be disassembled, cleaned and the metal scoured and treated with metal contact cleaner and then seal it with a dielectric silicon. The volume control ICs fail too and they are a hybrid so if one fails in any of several duties they perform the entire unit is toast because Yamaha is not supplying the CPU and other ICs relative to the volume control. I would need the service manual to denote exactly which ICs but I've done this several times with the newer Yamaha integrated amps and receivers with digital volume control and it seems to be a pattern.
boo on Yamaha. :(

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
That's why I like 2A3 power triodes.
Continuous production since ca. 1930. :)

ik7z351abi8t.png

This lovely 90-year-old pair of single plates just sold on hifihaven for -- a princely sum. ;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yeah, that digital volume control is good until parts are not available.

Yamaha is/was not supplying the main IC (which controls inputs and volume) in the R/A-Sxxx series as a spare part. It was an 'entire assembly' which is basically half the cost of the amps.

If they fail, they are a boat anchor.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's why I like 2A3 power triodes.
Continuous production since ca. 1930. :)

ik7z351abi8t.png

This lovely 90-year-old pair of single plates just sold on hifihaven for -- a princely sum. ;)
They truly are like jewelry though compared to todays stuff. :D

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
They truly are like jewelry though compared to todays stuff. :D
Yeah but (and not to drag this too far offtopic!) they're also surprisingly durable.
The pair currently in my 2A3 amp are 70-ish years old, and I bought them used over 20 years ago. I've put a lot of miles on them in the interim, too. :)

I've certainly gotten my $20 worth out of 'em.

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning

To me it looks like something's way off. No way a Yamaha should produce no sound at all until -10db of attenuation. Tonal balance is also bad (no bass) and a lot of audible distortion when going 0db and up. Why tape? Have you tried cd direct or pure direct? How about bass/treble knobs, do they work? Is it possible that something's wrong with your source or some bad connection somewhere? Speaker terminals + and - connected in reverse?

Last edited:

SacreDro

I have tried woth CD input, same result with a pair of Wharfdale Diamond 11.2 speakers and Denon DCD 600ne.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The contacts in them if copper or silver colored metal alloys get gummed up
I always thought it was an optical rotary encoder in the R-S700. Touching it now, i'm sure of it. A one gang potentiometer (which is used for electronic volume in the A-S1000 and up btw) would have a limited range, 270° usually. This one is unlimited.

It feels shite, but technically it's superior, you have no channel imbalance, nothing that can gum up, it should be good forever.
The only con i see is that the rotary encode doesn't remember where it's at, so you have to have non-volatile memory somewhere. That might fail and you get thrown back to the default, which is presumably very low.

The volume control ICs fail too and they are a hybrid so if one fails in any of several duties they perform the entire unit is toast because Yamaha is not supplying the CPU and other ICs relative to the volume control.
That isn't worse than other manufacturers in that price range. If an IC fails, usually your device is done for, true. You could open the pre-ou/main-in bridge and use your DAC or something else as preamp. Then it's at least still a fine power amp. ;-)

Regardless, in my mind the R-S700 is still my favourite used value amp. You can get it for 200€, sometimes far less, and they are plenty.

I have tried woth CD input, same result with a pair of Wharfdale Diamond 11.2 speakers and Denon DCD 600ne.
A mystery. I would bring the unit back to where it came from and ask for a fix. If that isn't possible, i would look for someone with a bit of experience in repairing audio stuff in your area, so the device can be checked there.

SacreDro

Will take it to my local electrician guy and if the unit is dead I will ask Ebay to solve it, in case the German seller does not want the unit back.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
For all the Yamaha lovers here:

Would you rather get a Yamaha A-S3200 or a Accuphase E280 or Luxman L-505uXII

They are roughly in the same price range and are kinda similar feature wise and VU meters with that nostalgic 70s look to it.

I was wondering how the internals compare and obviously craftsmanship.

Both are not in my price range for the foreseeable future but I'm really always coming back to those 3.

A NAD M33 (open box) would fall into the same price range and would be the opposite direction with class D, Dirac and DAC/streaming etc.

But I got the feeling the former 2 could be serviced the next 25 years and will have some resell value till they stop working whenever that may be.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For all the Yamaha lovers here:

Would you rather get a Yamaha A-S3200 or a Accuphase E280 or Luxman L-505uXII

They are roughly in the same price range and are kinda similar feature wise and VU meters with that nostalgic 70s look to it.

Hard to say.
1) Accuphase is the only one that you will be able to have serviced by the factory in 25 years. In the United States, the price premium is incredible where you pretty much have to treat it like a first class vacation. In that week of experiences, there is no resale value. I have owned the P-266 from Accuphase which I really enjoyed. After 40 years the attenuation knobs were starting to get fickle.

The E-270 tested here is one of the best Class AB amps ever tested. The Marantz Pm-11s2 may actually beat it, but the E-280 is a step up in SINAD.

These Accuphase’s are single ended so you can see that balanced connections are WORSE on the unit compared to the unbalanced connections. Phono is also an upgrade.

2) Yamaha is extremely low noise but its distortion, if I recall, is higher than a Class D Marantz PM-10. As a fully balanced design, it’s a great choice if that’s your primary use. I have the CX-A5100 and MX-A5000 personally.

3) Luxman’s are also beautiful, but I have not owned one.

I was in the same price class, and ended up getting the Marantz PM-10.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Hard to say.
1) Accuphase is the only one that you will be able to have serviced by the factory in 25 years. In the United States, the price premium is incredible where you pretty much have to treat it like a first class vacation. In that week of experiences, there is no resale value. I have owned the P-266 from Accuphase which I really enjoyed. After 40 years the attenuation knobs were starting to get fickle.

The E-270 tested here is one of the best Class AB amps ever tested. The Marantz Pm-11s2 may actually beat it, but the E-280 is a step up in SINAD.

These Accuphase’s are single ended so you can see that balanced connections are WORSE on the unit compared to the unbalanced connections. Phono is also an upgrade.

2) Yamaha is extremely low noise but its distortion, if I recall, is higher than a Class D Marantz PM-10. As a fully balanced design, it’s a great choice if that’s your primary use. I have the CX-A5100 and MX-A5000 personally.

3) Luxman’s are also beautiful, but I have not owned one.

I was in the same price class, and ended up getting the Marantz PM-10.

The Marantz is going for 10k euro while the others are all in the 5k euro range.

Top Bottom