• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best way to bi-amp two way speakers?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
LA90 Discrete puts out 106V peak to peak into 8 ohms, which works out to 175W - not overly loud, but pretty good. 85dB/W means 100W makes 105dB. 200W is 108, and 108dB is actually each speaker's rating (total, so probably pink noise split at 2.1kHz). I think 175 below 2.1kHz and 52 above (LA90 Discretes configured as described) is probably right on to match the speaker... 227W total, 85dB/W, 108dB max continuous rating.

I don't plan to eq in the bigger room at highish levels if you're thinking that - I have two subs I'll be using in there - a couple KEF Kube 10s. They're also sealed design and DSP'd for the -3dB point to be at 21 or 24Hz (can't remember 100%). The only problem is their crossover is 24dB/oct which doesn't match the speakers' 12... I could add another 12 using the EQ which matches the natural rolloff of the mains, then set the sub crossover to meet...

Each Kube has a 300W RMS amp and effortlessly bottoms the woofers (likely not a small feat because they seem to be able to move close to 4cm peak to peak)

Ah, yes, I could use an eq shelf at the crossover point... it's not ideal, but I could try it
I thought you are running one LA90 Discreet<?>

Top Bottom