• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research X-LS Encore Kit Speaker Review

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, they were AV123 speakers sold by Mark Schifter & co. I had the original X-LS and I did not like them (although the cabinets were amazing to look at). I thought they were thick sounding in the upper bass/lower mids and rolled off at the top - but am not sure how identical they were to these in terms of components.

Correct, Danny acquired the inventory from AV123 after they went out of business. So, there are finished product versions of this speaker. The build thread has a picture of the production crossover and the GR webpage has pictures of them too. Once he was out of production crossovers, Danny turned the speaker into a DIY kit. :cool:

Pic from GR website...
1595897654859.png

Last edited:

maltux

I believe he wanted to say that he wouldn't recommend speakers reviewed by Amir, since HiVi sounds much better to him.

I never really liked the XLS from the kit 10 years ago. I compared them to OverNight Sensations (wonderful kit), B&W (DM600S3), Bose 301's, Tri-Trix (floor standing), Phase Techs(PC10.5) and the Hivi 2.1 (Swan - Frank Hale) and XLS-Encore's are my least favorite of all.
Oddly enough I listen to them more than the others as I have them attached to my Mac Pro to a cheap DAC through a SONY AVR that I operate daily in my den.

Maybe Oscar (EXPO 1967) and I both have wooden ears

IMG_20200727_183915038.jpg

Ericglo

As a matter of fact, yes...

The speaker building aspect is a recent addition to the site, so you may notice that it is a bit more slanted to my computer consulting, but my contact information and other goodies are there: https://www.reasonabletechnical.com/

Just looked at the website. I see you liked the CBTs. I heard them once at Cedia and was impressed.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, there is a gentlemen selling a knock down cabinet. Will not repeat here as it is discussed in the build thread. :cool:

A link would be helpful. I went through that thread and I did not notice one. Perhaps it's in one of those long and useless videos.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A link would be helpful. I went through that thread and I did not notice one. Perhaps it's in one of those long and useless videos.

Lol. Yes it is one of the videos. His name is Peter Rawlings and there is no website, but says to contact him at carbidewing@gmail.com

maltux

Here is an interesting series of videos if you want to build some speakers for under $300.
Frank Hale (retired) of Swan -> now Hivi. I once chatted with him and he preferred the the 2 way to the 3 way.
Frank Hale of Swan

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the GR Research X-LS Encore DIY Kit speaker. It was kindly put together by member @Rick Sykora. You can see his build thread here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/build-of-gr-research-x-ls-encore.14312/

The bare kit without cabinet costs US $249. Unfortunately they do not sell the cabinet parts so you have to source that elsewhere or build it yourself as Rick did. As supplied, this is one heavy, dense bookshelf speaker due to use of thick MDF for cabinet construction:

View attachment 75426

The back panel shows the somewhat utilitarian binding posts and the port:

View attachment 75427

This is also quite a deep speaker so don't think about using it on the desktop. I evaluated it as a hi-fi speaker in far field.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

I used over 800 measurement point which was sufficient to compute the sound field of the speaker. Measurement axis is the tweeter center.

Temperature was 78 degrees. Measurement location is at sea level so you compute the pressure.

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications.

Spinorama Audio Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

View attachment 75428

As noted on the graph, the on-axis (black) and listening window (dashed green) are mostly flat which is what we like to see in a speaker. This means it won't emphasize or de-emphasize some notes at the expense of others. Now, where you draw the line is tricky because there is a hump at 100 Hz or so. I usually opt to use 200 Hz as the reference point and there, we see extra low bass, some weakness in upper bass and some peaking at higher frequencies.

There seems to be little attempt to splice the tweeter and woofer response so that their radiation width match. As a result, the woofer keeps getting directional up to about 2 kHz but when the tweeter starts to take over, the width expands suddenly. This usually screws up the off-axis sound of the speaker but in this case, they important reflections tend to balance out:

View attachment 75429

So what showers your walls will be tonally close to the direct sound you hear from the speaker which is a good thing.

Putting the two together we get the tonality that you may hear in your room:
View attachment 75430

Generally smooth and correct but with some ups and downs that could use tweaking. There is extra bass which mostly people will probably like but be mindful of it activating room modes more and cause booming sound (without EQ).

Impedance doesn't dip too low which should make it more amplifier friendly:
View attachment 75431

There is a slight kink in the response around 200 to 300 Hz which indicates some kind of resonance. It may be what we also see in the "waterfall" graph:

View attachment 75432

If these are due to the cabinet construction, then what you get in your build can be different. GR research measurements for example don't show the resonance around 1 kHz. This could be due to lack of resolution or proper testing on their part, or different cabinet. As always note that this measurement can be manipulated to show no problem or as much as you want!

Speaker Radiation Pattern
Ideally a speaker radiates sound in a predictable manner relative to direct sound. Due to directivity errors, we don't have that here:

View attachment 75433

If you follow the red line that shows when the response is down -6 dB relative to on-axis, the graph goes up and down a lot. So there is no uniformity which means how you toe in the speaker and the shape/reflectivity of your room can change the sound of this speaker fair bit. Your subjective results then may not match mine or the measurements.

In 3-D we see the same thing:

View attachment 75434

Notice how the red region changes its width.

Vertically most 2-way speakers are bad but that doesn't seem to be a major issue in subjective listening:

View attachment 75435

You have more leeway with having the tweeter axis be below your ear height than above. If you go too far, you land in the non-red region meaning there is a lot of deficiency in that frequency region so you want to avoid that.

Speaker Distortion Measurements
I am only going to show Klippel distortion measurements and not Audio Precision in the hopes of having a life beyond reviewing speakers. :)

View attachment 75436

At 86 dB SPL @ 1 meter, distortion is pretty much under control. Turn up the levels 10 dB though and the bass distortion naturally goes through the roof and the tweeter gets unhappy as well. But overall it is not too bad:
View attachment 75437

As noted, and as I could hear during testing, the very low frequencies are severely distorted and don't sound anything like proper low notes so best to filter them out if you can.

EDIT: Forgot to post the individual driver responses:
View attachment 75455

Subjective Speaker Listening Tests
Out of the box, the XLS Encore sounded good. Yes there was a bit of exaggeration in bass which most of the time gave a warm impression to the sound (good). But there were occasional sharpness that would interfere (especially on female vocals). And there was a bit of muddiness/distortion. So I dug out the EQ tools and used the measurements to make a few corrections:

View attachment 75438

I first added Band 3 which gave the speaker a bit more air and clarity in upper bass.

Getting rid of bass distortion was hard as my standard filters would take away good bass (some of the distortion helps with sensation of bass). I eventually landed on the gradual filter as shown which nicely improved note separation and muddiness that was there before it. You would have to experiment in your room since that heavily impacts what is there.

Once there, I still could hear the occasional sharpness that would stand out depending on activation (i.e. content). I put in a dip where the peak was in on-axis around 7.2 khz and that tamed but did not fully remove it. More effort would be needed than me eyeballing it. :)

Once there, this was a very nice speaker and I started to listen to track after track with enjoyment. One of my delightful tracks is from Mary Coughlan's After the Fall album:

View attachment 75439

I can only find this horribly recorded live version of it:

The X-LS Encore could play very loud even in mono configuration (how I test). It also managed to play the Dunwell's Animal track with its deep bass.

Conclusions
The GR Research X-LS Encore DIY KIT build as I tested shows very good performance which with a bit of EQ, rose up to near excellent. Yes there are some technical errors in directivity but otherwise, good attempt has been made to produce near neutral presentation which is what we strive for.

I am happy to recommend the GR Research DIY Kit (sans all the voodoo tweaks he offers).

Much thanks to Rick for building this speaker and sending it to me. I hope you use his services if you don't want to build it yourself.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

My handyman quit on me again after pulling weeds for a while and now I have to go do the rest. Did that yesterday and got so much dust and pollen in my noise that I have been sneezing non-stop. All because I can't afford to hire a more expensive and reliable worker! If you value my health, comfort and prettiness of our yard, I suggest you donate what you can using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

This is fascinating, thanks! There are so many DIY speakers that folks on here like, so it is cool to get a sense for how they stack up. One question: wouldn't the material that the cabinets are made of have an effect on the sound? I imagine cab engineering is as much a part of a design as everything else. So, could my lack of fine carpentry skills wreck the performance of perfectly good speaker components?

xarkkon

Awesome review! I've got a kit sitting in my store room, this is perfect motivation to get off my lazy ass and start putting them together.

C Notes for desktop, XLS Encore for the bedroom. Your focus on DIY Audio is sending my wallet down the drain...

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Massive dispersion disruption at the crossover. It's hard for me to see value at $250 + cabinet + labor when there are regularly speakers designed with attention to dispersion consistency through the crossover available for similar or less money. Such speakers are also generally untainted by association with slimy pitches for miracle passive crossover parts or possibly the dumbest wire termination yet conceived.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Massive dispersion disruption at the crossover. It's hard for me to see value at $250 + cabinet + labor when there are regularly speakers designed with attention to dispersion consistency through the crossover available for similar or less money. Such speakers are also generally untainted by association with slimy pitches for miracle passive crossover parts or possibly the dumbest wire termination yet conceived.
Well to be fair the main reason to DIY is not to save money... Well maybe for a few folks & sometimes it is a nice icing on the cake.
Really IMHO, DIY is because you want to learn, be involved, get dirty, take pride in your finished product even if the lines are crooked.
It is fun!
I enjoy buying "complete" products as well but nothing compares to DIY for that blood sweat and tears personal story.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Wow. Compare this to the Salk. Lol!
Yes, indeed that is an interesting comparison.

One other interesting thing to note is how old this GR design is (something like 15+ years if I am not mistaken), yet it really measures well in the company of current models. Nice job!

I was very curious how this one measured as Danny of the GR company can really polarize people due to yah know some "things". Thanks amir for testing and thanks to the assembly crew.

Another interesting test, so many fun ones lately.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2944

Danny is a pretty enigmatic fellow. This type of basic speaker is in his wheelhouse and the decent result doesn't surprise me. OTOH, he can shoot himself in the foot as well as anybody I've ever seen. :)

Dave.

KaiserSoze

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well to be fair the main reason to DIY is not to save money... Well maybe for a few folks & sometimes it is a nice icing on the cake.
Really IMHO, DIY is because you want to learn, be involved, get dirty, take pride in your finished product even if the lines are crooked.
It is fun!
I enjoy buying "complete" products as well but nothing compares to DIY for that blood sweat and tears personal story.

For anyone who has never built speaker cabinets from scratch, you have to learn a variety of skills with the table saw and a router just to name two. And the finishing. All in all it can be daunting and the effort is easily underestimated. One option for this speaker is the small "high fidelity" cabinet sold by Parts Express, intended to be used with specific drivers that they sell. It is the right size and the pre-cut openings are roughly correct but it still might be necessary to make a different baffle. Even if you get lucky with the PE cabinets and the pre-cut baffle requires only minor modifications (which isn't especially likely) the cost for this pair of cabinets plus shipping and likely tax is going to run about $180. There's probably other items that you need that aren't in the kit, so you can figure a minimum of $200 in addition to the $250 for the kit. So realistically the cost will be $450 at the least. And a lot of time.

I won't say whether the speaker you end up with will or won't be a better speaker than the Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2, but the Elac speaker is presently marked down to $280 for a pair. All you have to do with it is take it out of the carton and connect the wires (and likely buy a pair of stands). When you can buy an off-the-shelf speaker of this type for so much less than what the actual, total cost of assembling the kit speaker will be, the kit speaker just doesn't make sense for most potential builders. Only for people who really, really get satisfaction from doing things themselves. If I were going to invest all that time and money in a kit speaker, I would want to end up something really special. For me, it doesn't add up. Possibly, the HiVi kits sold on amazon would make sense, because they include the cabinets for no more cost than this X-LS Encore speaker.

xarkkon

For anyone who has never built speaker cabinets from scratch, you have to learn a variety of skills with the table saw and a router just to name two. And the finishing. All in all it can be daunting and the effort is easily underestimated. One option for this speaker is the small "high fidelity" cabinet sold by Parts Express, intended to be used with specific drivers that they sell. It is the right size and the pre-cut openings are roughly correct but it still might be necessary to make a different baffle. Even if you get lucky with the PE cabinets and the pre-cut baffle requires only minor modifications (which isn't especially likely) the cost for this pair of cabinets plus shipping and likely tax is going to run about $180. There's probably other items that you need that aren't in the kit, so you can figure a minimum of $200 in addition to the $250 for the kit. So realistically the cost will be $450 at the least. And a lot of time.

I won't say whether the speaker you end up with will or won't be a better speaker than the Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2, but the Elac speaker is presently marked down to $280 for a pair. All you have to do with it is take it out of the carton and connect the wires (and likely buy a pair of stands). When you can buy an off-the-shelf speaker of this type for so much less than what the actual, total cost of assembling the kit speaker will be, the kit speaker just doesn't make sense for most potential builders. Only for people who really, really get satisfaction from doing things themselves. If I were going to invest all that time and money in a kit speaker, I would want to end up something really special. For me, it doesn't add up. Possibly, the HiVi kits sold on amazon would make sense, because they include the cabinets for no more cost than this X-LS Encore speaker.

These speakers rate better than the B6.2 (with subs 7.6 over 7.2), score the same as the much more expensive Buchardt S400, and are slightly cheaper than the Zaph 5.2 DIY kit (which performed poorer on a subjective basis). Yeah, the XLS Encores aren't earth shattering but I'd say they deserve a little more credit.

That being said, I do agree that DIY is seldom about getting the best deal out there. I don't include labour when I budget for my kits, as I take the view that I'm paying for the opportunity to play, rather than cutting on costs with labour. A detriment to my wallet for sure! Heh.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is his 0/10/20/30/40 horizontal graphs (1/3 octave) vs what Klippel got:
View attachment 75449View attachment 75450

7kHz peak and 10kHz dip are main differences.

As before, I wonder if the ~3kHz bunching of off-axis responses could be tamed with rounded edges.

It is a problem as I see that the directivity error cause peaking in the 2-4 kHz region, which IMO will cause some harsh sound on soprano and female voices. I doubt there is a fix using rounded edges, but a wider baffle might help some + putting the cross-over at 3 kHz. + felt pads on each side of the tweeter.

Last edited:

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As before, I wonder if the ~3kHz bunching of off-axis responses could be tamed with rounded edges.
I doubt there is a fix using rounded edges, but a wider baffle might help some + putting the cross-over at 3 kHz. + felt pads on each side of the tweeter.
With DIY kits, the focus is on making the speaker cabinet as simple as possible to reproduce.
Rounded side edges would certainly improve the radiation pattern. However, the radius must have a certain size for this.

This is nothing new, however, as the magazine Hobby-Hifi, for example, already showed in detail 20 years ago.
Here is a small excerpt from the article (Have removed the German comments from the picture, the results speak for themselves, the frequency responses 0° to 60° are shown):
Source: http://hobby-hifi.de/Archiv/01/05_01/05_01.html
1595921844992.png

The test object had a baffle width of 0.17m. This means that the distance of the tweeter to the lateral edge of the baffle is 0.85m, which at a wavelength corresponds to the frequency of 4kHz - exactly the problematic frequency range.

UPDATE: The percentages in the image refer to the baffle width of the loudspeaker. In order to achieve a similar effect as in the bottom diagram with a 0.3m wide loudspeaker (problematic frequency range would be around 2.3kHz), the radius of the rounding must be 45mm.

Two important remarks on this:
- A radius that is too small further exacerbates the problem of edge diffraction - the frequency response becomes even more unsteady.
- Rounding the side edges reduces the "effective" baffle width, the effect of edge diffraction shifts to higher frequencies and "smears" the edge diffraction over a wider frequency range, which means that the crossover will most likely have to be adjusted.

Nowadays, even for hobby loudspeaker developers, it is no longer a problem at all to optimize the radiation of a loudspeaker through simulation (before the first prototype must be produced)- it is almost child's play ;)

Last edited:

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Very nice, now someone needs to send @amirm an IPL acoustics transmission line speaker from the UK which has got good customer base :)

Top Bottom