• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

Rate this AC Cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 373 95.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 3.3%

• Total voters

ta240

Major Contributor
Wowow. I retailed gear for 9 years in the 80's and early 90's and we never had those kind of mark-ups in Canada. What country where you retailing gear in?
The clothing stores I worked in the 80s and 90s typically doubled the cost to get retail. Unless it was a small item and then it would be 400%

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
That downright voodoo stuff. :facepalm:
If only. I’m still waiting for proper voodoo and its application for remote control. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a little effigy of your amp that you stick needles in for changing volume, balance, EQ?

57gold

Have to confess, I had/have a Marigo power cable @$200 in the early 90s and then bought a couple of packs of dots.

White ones and green ones that had different uses to absorb resonances in component parts...the claim of Marigo.

Had some on parts in a Theta Gen Va DAC, that started to sound bad, the dealer said I was nuts, so I sent it to Theta who confirmed it was broke and needed repair. Once repaired, I got a call from the tech who did the work who commented, "I don't know what these dots do, but your repaired unit is one of the best, smoothest sounding I have heard and I have worked on many."

No dots on anything today. But since dots came up, it brought back that memory.

Never tried a Mpingo disc, Shakti stone, crystal pebbles, or those little metal cups that Synergistic sells...oh, then there was the Tice clock and the Bybee stuff.

Still do not understand why one would not test a mongo, heavy gauge power cable on a high current component versus a preamp?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If only. I’m still waiting for proper voodoo and its application for remote control. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a little effigy of your amp that you stick needles in for changing volume, balance, EQ?
Lol... of course. :D
GettyImages-108114648-5998ce049abed50010c7a7b3.jpg

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
You need to watch Danny's video to understand why I tested this. He claims the AC cable filters noise. The only way I could show that was by isolating the cable itself and seeing if it is less susceptible to noise pick up. It was. But not in any material way.

The 20dB reduced pickup of AC hum is interesting nonetheless. Of course it doesn’t matter to the cable itself, as it will be carrying hundreds of milliamps or several amps of AC hum, but it could mean that it also radiates less AC hum to its neighbouring cables. That would be a tangible benefit, if proper cable routing is a challenge. Not that hum induced into interconnects has been a problem in any of my systems in the last 20 years, but for people using poorly constructed RCA cables it may be an issue.

BadOlePuddyTat

Years ago, when fancy power cables started popping up, folks agreed it was lunacy. Now, you have people arguing it's THE most important cable in a system. It's a pretty good example of what marketing can do.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has tried a fancy audiophile power cable with something other than an audio component. Ironically, those connectors (particularly the IEC end) are way too big to fit most other electronics. I figure if there is a difference to be observed, it would manifest itself in something other than audio. I have a handful of different fancy power cords and I, so far haven't been able to find any concrete evidence they're doing much at all.

I connected various cables to PC monitors and laptops. The logic being that both had screens, and under certain conditions, you can see various imperfections in the displays, even among new PC equipment. Viewing various AC cables connected to identical devices side by side, the only differences were in the monitor, or laptops themselves (that is, if I switched the cable, the same anomolies would stay with the respective device).

BTW, a lot of high-end (gaming?) latops have AC adapters with IEC connectors, and an you can squeeze some of the fancy IEC connectors into an HP ZDisplay. So, it's possible to experiment.

I'm interested in know if anyone else has found another device the not only fit, but would perhaps allow for observable comparisons.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The 20dB reduced pickup of AC hum is interesting nonetheless. Of course it doesn’t matter to the cable itself, as it will be carrying hundreds of milliamps or several amps of AC hum, but it could mean that it also radiates less AC hum to its neighbouring cables. That would be a tangible benefit, if proper cable routing is a challenge. Not that hum induced into interconnects has been a problem in any of my systems in the last 20 years, but for people using poorly constructed RCA cables it may be an issue.
I had a customer call one day. The complaint was his satellite TV 12 foot dish had a really bad picture and the audio was a little fuzzy. I went over to his home and he had wound with zip ties all the various cables into a nice neat tight loop that looked like a large television degausser coil. The point I am making is a customer would really have to make some sort of inductive coil to induce anything substantial otherwise there would be no issues like you noticed for the past 20 years.

Katji

Major Contributor
I did actually. Just didn't want to spend that much on electricity after blowing so much on the cable itself. :)
Well, talk about blowing. Anything could've happened.

I avoided this review since it showed up in RSS. My reaction was like :oops: "GR Research power cable? :D ..:rolleyes: "

Finding that it doesn't fit is like getting a speaker kit and finding the port hole was not cut.

I wait to hear that you didn't test it properly - plugged in wrong ......i hope you listened with both speakers.

kencreten

Forum Donor
I think you are on to something. Seems like no matter the gear the optimum burn in is 200 hours with few exceptions. So it makes sense if this is a property of the electrons and not the gear. Now that's what I call Science.
Hah. That's great. Or.. 200 hrs... is what support people can say, "OK, you don't hear a difference. Are you sure you burned it in 200 hrs?"

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Windmills sound airy, nuclear is bright yet warm and coal is dark sounding.
And hydro has a liquid quality, right?
:)

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe the price for the GR power cable is indeed way too low to show those superlative benefits advocated by so many audiophile magazines. Amir, would you consider to test this one? It is sensibly priced at $ 34,999 for a generous 1.25 m length. Made here in the Commonwealth of MA.
nordost-odin-gold-hifi-news-aug-2021-power.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have never, ever heard of someone upgrading the AC cable because they had hum. Much less paying this much for it. Post upgrade, the claims are always bigger soundstage, tighter bass, clear highs, etc.

Regardless, the induction effect only occurred when I put the large transformer directly on the cable. Any distance from it would cause the interference to drop to zero.

Countless times I have measured mains leakage when testing but moving AC cable has made no difference at all. It is always due to grounding, etc.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe the price for the GR power cable is indeed way too low to show those superlative benefits advocated by so many audiophile magazines. Amir, would you consider to test this one? It is sensibly priced at $ 34,999 for a generous 1.25 m length. Made here in the Commonwealth of MA.
:) At least it is very nicely put together. Not this horrible construction that is B24.

I am sure one day I will test cables like that. Just as I tested their $1,800 BNC cable. There are people who are starting to pause and think whether these things do anything at all.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a customer call one day. The complaint was his satellite TV 12 foot dish had a really bad picture and the audio was a little fuzzy. I went over to his home and he had wound with zip ties all the various cables into a nice neat tight loop that looked like a large television degausser coil.
Isn't it amazing how many people can make such a change, experience problems, and not consider returning to the good configuration?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't it amazing how many people can make such a change, experience problems, and not consider returning to the good configuration?
It apparently went right over his head. It was a sizeable coil of wires too. The extra wire from the satellite dish's low-noise block downconverter (LNB) carried a very very low signal and that was obliterated by the coil he made with all the other wires. Some of these customers have no idea about electricity and simply call for assistance at the slightest predicament so they don't screw anything up. It's better that way... :D

EDIT: .. and the operation of a dish with dozens of satellites across the Clarke Belt accessed by using a actuator on the dish makes the customers really confused for the first weeks. So maybe he was confused and thought the snow or himself changed out something and ruined the picture.

Last edited:

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
Why you should do this? If you have 40m of cabels in the wall with high resistence, what should than the last meter with lower resistance change? Do the math, no need for tests. Ohms law is well established.
Why? Because the electrons are very, very tired and stressed after powering through all that resistance. Do you really want them entering your audio equipment in that state? Geeze, they'll be stumbling over each other, wandering into the wrong locations, and just generally making poor decisions. Your system will sound like 5 pounds of crap squeezed into a one ounce Dixie cup.

A cable like this one essentially gives the electrons a trip to the spa. Or better yet, to an all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean. They can spread out, have a nice drink, eat at the buffet, absorb some Vitamin D, sleep for a few days and generally just recharge their proverbial batteries. Then they they are fully rested and of the proper mindset, they can orderly march into the power supply and the resulting billowing of music free from layers of veils will effortlessly remove the haze from the glass on the sonic window -- and even throw open the sash -- so you are looking directly outside into the performance as the musicians intended it to be heard and experienced. Your mother-in-law will call from the other side of the world and ask what you just improved on your system, as she can hear it through the screeching of the ally cats that are fighting outside her kitchen window.

Honestly, I don't know how one can even assign a monetary value to cables like this. Like a puppy, they add so much to our lives and ask very little in return.

DualTriode

Are you meaning to say, that Amir does not always mention "Audibility", when comparing one noise reading to another?

Think back, try real hard.

What single parameter is used to rank every DAC and amplifier tested?

SINAD is the standard. "Audibility" may not even show up in the same paragraph.

This is just the first example I clicked on.
Best budget stereo amplifier review.png

DanielT

Major Contributor
If Danny comments on Amir's results, I guess he will say:
But you hear no difference if you use B24 and listens to only one speaker. B24 is designed to work optimally with two speakers.

Plus the usual:
Not good enough HiFi system
Not enough burnt in
Connected to the wrong HiFi gadget while listening, no difference is heard
If you do not want to hear differences, you do not hear any either

Best to point out again, above is what I guess Danny's comment will be. Best to clarify it so no one thinks that is my opinion.Except for the last point. It works both ways. To imagine hearing or not hearing differences.:)

Last edited:

BossBunos

I disagree. While there will always be diehard "Cable believers", and there will always be people without critical thinking that were led to believe, but there are more people who can be convinced otherwise. ASR did a great job exposing these snake oils, and would help many of these people to understand where and what they should (or should not) spend money on.

Enjoying better music while wasting significantly less money, isn't that better for the world?
Totally agree! I have a degree in computer science, but when I started the hobby I didn't know much about audio. And when switching components I heard differences (differences that didn't exist). Ear+brain is very powerful. I was not aware of psycho acoustics. So my thought was that maybe we are not able to measure everything yet. That view on the matter is confirmed by almost all 'reviewers'. Audiosciencereview explained it all to me. But I also understand why a lot or even most audiophiles fall for the subjective side.

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Why? Because the electrons are very, very tired and stressed after powering through all that resistance. Do you really want them entering your audio equipment in that state? Geeze, they'll be stumbling over each other, wandering into the wrong locations, and just generally making poor decisions. Your system will sound like 5 pounds of crap squeezed into a one ounce Dixie cup.

A cable like this one essentially gives the electrons a trip to the spa. Or better yet, to an all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean. They can spread out, have a nice drink, eat at the buffet, absorb some Vitamin D, sleep for a few days and generally just recharge their proverbial batteries. Then they they are fully rested and of the proper mindset, they can orderly march into the power supply and the resulting billowing of music free from layers of veils will effortlessly remove the haze from the glass on the sonic window -- and even throw open the sash -- so you are looking directly outside into the performance as the musicians intended it to be heard and experienced. Your mother-in-law will call from the other side of the world and ask what you just improved on your system, as she can hear it through the screeching of the ally cats that are fighting outside her kitchen window.

Honestly, I don't know how one can even assign a monetary value to cables like this. Like a puppy, they add so much to our lives and ask very little in return.
Pure gold. Bookmarked! :D

Top Bottom