• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

Rate this AC Cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 373 95.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 3.3%

• Total voters

DanielT

Major Contributor
Totally agree! I have a degree in computer science, but when I started the hobby I didn't know much about audio. And when switching components I heard differences (differences that didn't exist). Ear+brain is very powerful. I was not aware of psycho acoustics. So my thought was that maybe we are not able to measure everything yet. That view on the matter is confirmed by almost all 'reviewers'. Audiosciencereview explaint it all to me. But I also understand why a lot or even most audiophiles fall for the subjective side.
Yep, that's it. In addition, peer pressure, to fit in. If others say something, we adapt. Here's a classic social psychology experiment:

In psychology, the Asch conformity experiments or the Asch paradigm were a series of studies directed by Solomon Asch studying if and how individuals yielded to or defied a majority group and the effect of such influences on beliefs and opinions.[1][2][3][4]

Developed in the 1950s, the methodology remains in use by many researchers. Uses include the study of conformity effects of task importance,[5] age,[6] sex,[7][8][9][10] and culture.[5]
[10]

So if you're on a subjectivity forum and everyone says you'll hear a difference with cable X. You're testing the same cable, what do you write about it in that forum? Pretty obvious what kind of comment it will be.;)

Then add that if you buy something expensive, you must justify your purchase, of course you think it sounds better.

Edit:
Asch_experiment.svg.png

One of the pairs of cards used in the experiment. The card on the left has the reference line and the one on the right shows the three comparison lines.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Why? Because the electrons are very, very tired and stressed after powering through all that resistance. Do you really want them entering your audio equipment in that state? Geeze, they'll be stumbling over each other, wandering into the wrong locations, and just generally making poor decisions. Your system will sound like 5 pounds of crap squeezed into a one ounce Dixie cup.

A cable like this one essentially gives the electrons a trip to the spa. Or better yet, to an all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean. They can spread out, have a nice drink, eat at the buffet, absorb some Vitamin D, sleep for a few days and generally just recharge their proverbial batteries. Then they they are fully rested and of the proper mindset, they can orderly march into the power supply and the resulting billowing of music free from layers of veils will effortlessly remove the haze from the glass on the sonic window -- and even throw open the sash -- so you are looking directly outside into the performance as the musicians intended it to be heard and experienced. Your mother-in-law will call from the other side of the world and ask what you just improved on your system, as she can hear it through the screeching of the ally cats that are fighting outside her kitchen window.

Honestly, I don't know how one can even assign a monetary value to cables like this. Like a puppy, they add so much to our lives and ask very little in return.

Wow! Free the electrons!

EXIF68

We have typically in the house installation several meters of Ye 1,5mm2 wiring from the fuse cubicle to the wall socket. And this wires are used with several intermediate terminals to connect one part to the next. And now you will „rescue“ the situation with a highly sophisticated cable from the wall socket to the High End device. This can only be an expensive joke.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If Danny comments on Amir's results, I guess he will say:
But you hear no difference if you use B24 and listens to only one speaker. B24 is designed to work optimally with two speakers.
I only test speakers in mono. Other things like this cable were tested in stereo. In this case using my Dan Clark Stealth headphone. Note also that the null tests and results were in stereo as well.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Plus the usual:
Not good enough HiFi system
Not enough burnt in
Connected to the wrong HiFi gadget while listening, no difference is heard
If you do not want to hear differences, you do not hear any either
The whole point of the null tests was to neuter those arguments. People can listen on any system they want and evaluate for themselves. Or see if they can hear anything in the null. I can easily encode more content and post them blind.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The whole point of the null tests was to neuter those arguments. People can listen on any system they want and evaluate for themselves. Or see if they can hear anything in the null. I can easily encode more content and post them blind.
Well, let's see here:
Not good enough HiFi system
You didn't even have a complete HiFi system, obviously that is no good :facepalm:
Not enough burnt in
Who says the signal gets better after burn in.. possibly it degrades after 200 hours, and then the measured and audible difference gets clear. I told you before, but you wouldn't listen :facepalm:
Connected to the wrong HiFi gadget while listening, no difference is heard
Well duh! Do I even need to explain this? :facepalm:
If you do not want to hear differences, you do not hear any either
Obviously, your company does not sell these cables, so yeah, you are totally biased :facepalm:

How did I do? :cool:

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
I only test speakers in mono. Other things like this cable were tested in stereo. In this case using my Dan Clark Stealth headphone. Note also that the null tests and results were in stereo as well.
Well, I agree with that. There was only a little speculation on my part what Danny might say. Plus Danny can throw in another classic: You can hear differences, which can not be measured.;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well, I agree with that. There was only a little speculation on my part what Danny might say. Plus Danny can throw in another classic: You can hear differences, which can not be measured.;)
Again the null test is in there which doesn't rely on measurements.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I know. I'm not arguing against what you say.:)

We'll see if IF Danny will comment. Exciting.
He's going to squirm on this test... big bucks exchanging hands after a year's sale of cables...

uwotm8

Once maybe a week ago after some cable switching my Verum headphones got such an incredibly tactile bass.
Then I realized that I turned off speakers but sub was working:D
At the same time, analogue interconnects do matter, I hear that on relatively budget active Dyns:)
Also considering getting some $20 Chinese (or local garage-assembled) power cables just to replace garbage $4 PC power cables, these are just too bad, not sure even if it's real copper or copper-plated...

Last edited:

Fidji

Again the null test is in there which doesn't rely on measurements.

Of course, as your null test has removed "the soul of music". And obviously you CAN NOT MEASURE said soul.
Every subjectivist can attest to this. You listen with your heart, they say.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I am surprised that the five or so people who voted great did not offer good money to Amir to buy the cable back from him and relieve him of that wretched thing :rolleyes:

Maybe not so great after all to make a bid for it?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
60% is such a low margin lol. Some boutique PHAT KABLZ such as NBS are being selled withing community by a small individual sellers and 50-60% is a typical "disconut" from some RRP but I believe that's just a made-up sales model. And, the second one, MapleShade... Worth to have a dedicated thread here. Epic brand. So I think real margin on these is 95+% of RRP at least
Seriously? The shop/dealer sells the cable for 20x what they paid the distributor/manufacturer?

Fidji

I am surprised that the five or so people who voted great did not offer good money to Amir to buy the cable back from him and relieve him of that wretched thing :rolleyes:

Maybe not so great after all to make a bid for it?

Going rate for 2nd cable is approx 40% MSRP, new - if you do not get discount at least 25% for more expensive ones, then you have got a bad deal.
There are lot of nice looking cables 2nd hand, where owners are further down the "upgrade" path.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I know the company you speak of.. Only caveat was that you stocked pretty much the whole range - they gave you a nice display rack too I recall.. A couple of decades back now, if you ordered enough, another cable supplier popular with the UK dealer chains, offered a 75% margin, so lord knows how much the wire cost in real terms.
Chord Company? QED? Not allowed to say?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Going rate for 2nd cable is approx 40% MSRP, new - if you do not get discount at least 25% for more expensive ones, then you have got a bad deal.
There are lot of nice looking cables 2nd hand, where owners are further down the "upgrade" path.
You mean "further down the rabbit hole"? :)

Top Bottom