• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Diy 3-Way Compact Monitor Vs 2-Way , Pros+Cons of each design.

OP
D

DrSpan

If you go with plan B (Woofer+ Coaxial Driver) I would suggest KEF co-axials. Right now you can buy a new pair of KEF Q150s from Amazon for $350. IIRC they use the 12th generation of the co-axial. They don't have MAT (Metamaterial Absorption Technology), but IMO otherwise are the best co-axials available. I did the same thing with the older Q100 co-axials and was very happy with the result. They do take extra work to mount, but the end result is worth it.
If i go coaxial i will surely check them out. did not think of this solution. Thank you

ChrisG

FWIW, I'm also working on a pair of small monitors. It'll be 2x Kartesian Sub120_vHP and 1x SB Acoustics Satori TW29RN. MTM configuration, bi-amped. I'm planning a relatively low crossover, since the woofers are likely to struggle first - I'm not planning on using a subwoofer.

The Kartesian woofers do very well in Klippel measurements, and hold up well them you throw some power at them. Might be worth a look.

Chris

ShadowFiend

@DrSpan : If you have a KH80 and now want to build another near field monitor, I would suggest you choose 3-way mini monitor route. Even though the solution Kef coax + woofer is a great choice, overall the sound is not too far different from your KH80. After all tweeters of both speaker use waveguide, so directivity at treble is controlled but more narrow than 3-way monitor without waveguide.

Like you, I also plan to build a near-field monitor, but in small budget. I also want that it can translate to surround speaker in the future. After researching, my plan is using a BMR driver TEBM46 for midrange from 500 Hz to 3000 Hz and SB Acoustics SB26SCTN for treble. Their off-axis response is tracking each other nicely up to around 6kHz even at 60 degree off-axis.

For woofer, I uses SB17CAC since I have a pair lying around but you can use a long throw 6-7 inch driver like 18w/8434 or CA18RLY/CA18RNX for woofer. If you use subwoofer at 80 Hz, you can get away with sealed box. It is easier to design and has better group delay in bass compared to vented design.

OP
D

DrSpan

@DrSpan : If you have a KH80 and now want to build another near field monitor, I would suggest you choose 3-way mini monitor route. Even though the solution Kef coax + woofer is a great choice, overall the sound is not too far different from your KH80. After all tweeters of both speaker use waveguide, so directivity at treble is controlled but more narrow than 3-way monitor without waveguide.

Like you, I also plan to build a near-field monitor, but in small budget. I also want that it can translate to surround speaker in the future. After researching, my plan is using a BMR driver TEBM46 for midrange from 500 Hz to 3000 Hz and SB Acoustics SB26SCTN for treble. Their off-axis response is tracking each other nicely up to around 6kHz even at 60 degree off-axis.

For woofer, I uses SB17CAC since I have a pair lying around but you can use a long throw 6-7 inch driver like 18w/8434 or CA18RLY/CA18RNX for woofer. If you use subwoofer at 80 Hz, you can get away with sealed box. It is easier to design and has better group delay in bass compared to vented design.
Sounds very interesting. Will keep that in mind.
Thanks for tuning in!

OP
D

DrSpan

FWIW, I'm also working on a pair of small monitors. It'll be 2x Kartesian Sub120_vHP and 1x SB Acoustics Satori TW29RN. MTM configuration, bi-amped. I'm planning a relatively low crossover, since the woofers are likely to struggle first - I'm not planning on using a subwoofer.

The Kartesian woofers do very well in Klippel measurements, and hold up well them you throw some power at them. Might be worth a look.

Chris
Wishing you success! Sounds like fun

For me there is no listening without sub anymore. You can simply not replicate this kind of bass with any compact speaker.
i use Sub-Monitor combinations for the last 15 years and no going back from that :)

Talking about me , i dont want to build a 2xWoofer + 1Tweeter cause it will either be a 2.5 way or a Dàpollito 2 Way like in your case.
Because i sit very nearfield i don`t like speakers towering over me. I want them a bit lower than my head and tilted up a bit.
So they are always laying on their side , even if it has its disadvantages but i feel more free when i can look over the speakers when listening.
For me feeling comfortable is priority one.
Also i find the difference-price i pay small when it comes to stereo imaging at these distances.

The Dàpollito makes me feel weird when i see speakers which use a design specifically (and even more critically to be placed like this) made for Vertical placement to be laying on their sides somehow. It beats the idea completely somehow. i see it in studios so it won`t be that bad if you are not a religious audiophile but still….
Also it means that using these drivers you mention the smallest width would be around 40 cm or even 45cm. The neumann kh 80 are half of this. I find them the perfect size for my taste.

So all in all, no MtM for me but i like the design as such . I am going for ultra compact when i finally manage to decide …...anything at all

Last edited:
Top Bottom