• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye NC252MP Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 171 58.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 87 29.9%

• Total voters

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I know that feeling, yo!

Post in thread 'Buckeye NC252MP Stereo Amplifier Review'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...mp-stereo-amplifier-review.48196/post-1822305

Post in thread 'Buckeye NC252MP Stereo Amplifier Review'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...mp-stereo-amplifier-review.48196/post-1822906
You just keep beating this drum…over and over…I’m giving you a break from this Review thread. You ignored my previous attempts to give you subtle advice. :(

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Listen Bro, like I’m digging what you’re laying down Dude. But, like, this is a tripping Review Thread and if we don’t tighten up the slack around here dude. That Moderator Cats is going to come in here and ruin our buzz. So like, we don’t want that Bro. We had better take this side convo to the down lo (Any of Buckeye’s Build Threads listed in his signature) before the fuzz gets back. See ya there bro.

Smoking Lamp is Lit.
Good 'pointed' response, and gave me a huge laugh.:D
I worked with an engineer who wrote a 'jive' version of the equipment help/prompt files (IRCC, the 'Format Disk?" prompt was hilarious?).
It absolutely cracked us up - until somehow a customer ended up with a version of it, and that joy ride came to a crashing end.
Merry Happy Xmas!!

Descartes

Major Contributor
Who else offers this kind of value?

Monolith by Monoprice M8125x 8x100 Watts Per Channel Class-D Multi-Channel
Home Theater Power Amplifier with XLR Inputs
NC252MP for $1,999.99

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who else offers this kind of value?

Monolith by Monoprice M8125x 8x100 Watts Per Channel Class-D Multi-Channel
Home Theater Power Amplifier with XLR Inputs
NC252MP for $1,999.99

Lol, when you can find it in stock!

Should be a better deal when you buy more channels anyway. Not sure why anyone would be willing to spend 4 times more for a multichannel amp if they only need a stereo one. :confused:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Should be a better deal when you buy more channels anyway. Not sure why anyone would be willing to spend 4 times more for a multichannel amp if they only need a stereo one. :confused:
Maybe someone like me with 4-way active speakers? :)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe someone like me with 4-way active speakers? :)

Ok, but in your case, a single Buckeye amp (as reviewed here) may be a good value but leaves you quite a bit shy of a full range listening experience! :D

Descartes

Major Contributor

I need multichannel amplifiers

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Still, the Monoprice is not that good of deal. You can get 4 audiophonics stereo NC252MPs for less than $1900 shipped to the US. And although you have more boxes / power cords, stereo amplifiers are easier to resell and you can easily add / remove / move channels around.

Michael

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks for clarifying but hopefully you now see why this post is problematic in a review thread. Suggest you try another thread like the following or start your own.

Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given the bland look the amp is critisized for by some, he comments that it doesn't matter as his sales has gone up.

I comment that he couldn't possibly know how it would've been, had it had a different design.
Had the price been higher to accommodate a showier case, I wouldn’t have bought my Buckeye amp.

Rick “one data point for you” Denney

Repdetect

Forum Donor
Thanks. It's a shame it's not closer to home, but hard to avoid these days.
Yes virtually impossible to avoid, but China most always means lower cost than US buying from EU or vice-versa, no?

Five24287

I have noticed that my buckeye amp clips(the orange led comes on) while driving elac db6.2 . My impression was that they being 6ohms speakers, the amp won't clip. Do I have something wrong in the setup or is that expected? I am using them elacs as rear surround.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I have noticed that my buckeye amp clips(the orange led comes on) while driving elac db6.2 . My impression was that they being 6ohms speakers, the amp won't clip. Do I have something wrong in the setup or is that expected? I am using them elacs as rear surround.
Definitely not expected, feel free to message me to troubleshoot.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely not expected, feel free to message me to troubleshoot.
Does the clip indicator come on only for voltage limit? Or is it triggered also for overcurrent?

But why would it be restricted with 6ohm? Regardless of average impedance, the impedance characteristic will be significantly higher than that for a large proportion of the response.

EDIT : It is 8ohm or more for a large part of the 20 to 100Hz range, and for everything above about 800Hz.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the clip indicator come on only for voltage limit? Or is it triggered also for overcurrent?

But why would it be restricted with 6ohm? Regardless of average impedance, the impedance characteristic will be significantly higher than that for a large proportion of the response.

EDIT : It is 8ohm or more for a large part of the 20 to 100Hz range, and for everything above about 800Hz.

The intrinsic Hypex response for their MP series is here.

In this case, it is more of a general error indicator. Newer Buckeye amps have a processor that monitors the signal line and may also add some different behavior(s), but the basic behavior is as described in the above post.

Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s what Hypex told me, too: Output does not equal input. What I didn’t get from them was what quantity of difference would it take. It is definitely below the threshold of audibility, and I’m guessing no more than 1% difference. That may vary depending on the shape of the error.

I am able to see flashing indicators with my NC502MP Buckeye amp playing uncompressed drums very loudly into Revel F12 towers. Those are nominally 6 ohms, but I doubt that’s important. Did I say it was very loud? Few commercial recordings are as dynamically recorded and mixed as the one I was using.

Rick “wife not home and cat hiding under the bed” Denney

Top Bottom