• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye NC252MP Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 171 58.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 87 29.9%

• Total voters

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Much of what you write may be true. But yet again, it IS unknown and opposing the fact that aesthetics matter is a weird flex. Even from someone selling the stuff.

That was my only point.

And I have nothing against cheap amplification and nothing against Buckeye Amps and nothing against "utilitarian" looking amps. I think many pro amps look just as nice than the residential ones.

Understood - and to be clear I did not think you were criticizing Dylan or Buckeye (and it would've been fine even if you had been). But in my opinion, "it IS unknown" is a statement that is both undeniably true, and also glosses over the information differential between you and me on the one hand, and Dylan as the guy running his company on the other hand. I think that information gap is significant. Reasonable people can of course disagree though.

D

Deleted member 48726

You keep repeating that as though @Buckeye Amps has denied it.

I keep looking at it every time you do, blink, and think "Well yes, obviously. But so what?"
Exactly. -So what. I don't get the outrage.

@BDWoody @AdamG will you clean up this sh**show that actually ended with an answer I got from Dylan on my third comment.
The rest is just.. A very high noise floor of people jumping in to "defend" from whatever attack they saw. If you must you can delete my entire collection of comments on this thread as well.

Thanks. And happy holidays to you all.:)

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Exactly. -So what. I don't get the outrage.

@BDWoody @AdamG will you clean up this sh**show that actually ended with an answer I got from Dylan on my third comment.
The rest is just.. A very high noise floor of people jumping in to "defend" from whatever attack they saw. If you must you can delete my entire collection of comments on this thread as well.

Thanks. And happy holidays to you all.:)
There is no outrage. Except maybe your overly sensitive response. Dylan made a choice to put function above esthetics. He essentially carved out a separate market segment of Consumers who mostly care about performance and don’t care about appearance. By focusing on building amps that provide high performance and not putting extra costs into what the amp looks like. He was able to undersell the competition and he passed this savings on to the consumer. People who buy Buckeye Amps don’t care what the enclosure looks like. That’s his market and value he brings to his Customers.

If you keep getting the same answers but continue to constantly raise the same questions. Who exactly isn’t paying attention? The shit show you refer to is mostly of your own making. You are welcome and happy holidays to you and your loved ones. ;)

Full disclosure I own two Buckeye Amps. Therefore I have some bias in this topic. Make of it what you will.

Last edited:

Rob Fens

This site is based on a scientific approach, when people have the guts to spend some words on sound quality, they are requested by some members to look somewhere else (fortunately not by AMIR) since this forum is not for subjectivist. Ok, i respect that and can even understand. But how come pages are spent on amp cases (Buckeye and Nilai) while nobody objects? The more so because Buckeye motivated the policy very clearly in a very civilised way.

Best regards,
Rob.

AdamG

Forum Donor
But how come pages are spent on amp cases (Buckeye and Nilai) while nobody objects?
People do object. But let’s try and separate the tests and measurements Amir conducts from the Forum side of the house. The testing side is 99% objective data driven. The Forum side is for the Members to create a community that talks about all things Audio. The creation process of Music is incredibly subjective and full of emotion and feelings. The Forum side of the house is going to be a mixture of the Objective and Subjective. It doesn’t have to be one over the other here. They can equally complement each other and human dialogue will also be a mixture of the Science and the Creative Process.

Pages and pages is what a forum is for. This is for the Memebership and they decided what topics get the most attention and what topics don’t. I hope that helps explain why we have these differences and the subsequent discussions about them.

Happy Holidays and happy Christmas Eve, Eve. ;)

Since this is a Review Thread. Let’s get back on topic. If anyone wants to continue this discussion about esthetics please start a separate thread. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

D

Deleted member 48726

We don't decorate the home with appliances. The AV gear isn't the main feature. In fact, I prefer the gear that makes the effort to minimize it's presence at the party. I think the Buckeye Amp does that job real swell. I know some people like decorative AV gear, and that's cool. I, otoh, would rather brag about the ceramics in this picture and how four of those shown were made by my wife.

View attachment 336318

Off-topic; that can't be great for sound that speaker placement? Have you done some measurements?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Off-topic; that can't be great for sound that speaker placement? Have you done some measurements?
What do you care? His home, he can do what he likes. He never claimed uber sound, so why would he have to justify it with measurements?

Sounds pretty patronizing to me and maybe trying to tell other people what to do in their home / business, especially when they didn’t ask for it, isn’t such a great approach. One would think you learned that by now.

Maybe you didn’t mean it like that. But it awfully comes across as such.

D

Deleted member 48726

What do you care? His home, he can do what he likes. He never claimed uber sound, so why would he have to justify it with measurements?

Sounds pretty patronizing to me and maybe trying to tell other people what to do in their home / business, especially when they didn’t ask for it, isn’t such a great approach. One would think you learned that by now.

Maybe you didn’t mean it like that. But it awfully comes across as such.
What?? It was not at all my intent! :confused:
Was scrolling through again and the picture caught my eye.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamG

Forum Donor

musicforcities

If you want a Hypex amp in a shiit case, petition shiit to make it

A) hey man, no need to get uptight. Sorry if I triggered you. It’s cool if you’re a Buckeye loyalist and consider Schiit a bunch of Marco-syndicalist class AB maxi zoomed wee bees. From the text on their website they seem a bit duchie to me too, Man. So like your free to have like your opinion. You may love the Eagles, while I hate the f-ing eagles. No biggie.

but that is not what I was saying, and I think you know it man. I was merely pointing out that their products have a distinctive design language, one that is consistent from $90 to +1000, and that the cases are very economical in every way.

B) Also, no need for Manicheanism or whayhaveyous: design does not mean more expensive. function is not the opposite of form. Beauty is not opposed to utility. There are lots of ins and outs.

Take, for example, your ceramic plates on display…

C) One can be constructively critical. As I was attempting to be. Maybe that was not clear. Replying as you do with the equivalent of “if you don’t like it in (insert country of choice) go live in (insert country of not your choice), is sorta off putting.

musicforcities

This site is based on a scientific approach, when people have the guts to spend some words on sound quality, they are requested by some members to look somewhere else (fortunately not by AMIR) since this forum is not for subjectivist. Ok, i respect that and can even understand. But how come pages are spent on amp cases (Buckeye and Nilai) while nobody objects? The more so because Buckeye motivated the policy very clearly in a very civilised way.

Best regards,
Rob.
Cause like dude, there is not much to talk about in terms of measured performance. This Buckeye cat nailed it. And did so at a great value.

Not much interest in a discussion forum that is 2000 responses of: yeah, it’s effectively perfect in terms of measurement at a price unimaginable ten years ago. Amir would have to find another jobbie. We don’t want that to happen.

But if you want a theory here is one:

The Buckeye logo is bad-ass man. It’s like if 1970s Nakamichi logos got it on with the opening title of the film Alien.

It’s so cool however it makes the case seem ultra not cool in comparison.

Without the bad ass logo the Buckeye would have a whole “Normcore” thing going on. But the logo would need to be like, just the name printed in Rockwell typeface. Maybe you can keep the logo but it would need to be modified to evoke more of a Carhart or gas station attendant vibe, maybe making lines less elegantly thin. Chunk em up in a way that says you couldnt care less about how a jacket fits. Or how this amp looks. Cause dude, the current logo is way too elegant and sophisticated to pull normcore off.

To keep our analogy going, the case is like the JVC logo. I mean it’s not offensive like some Crown blingy shapey cut out nightmare or in my opinion, some recent giant McIntosh logo lit up in Halloween green like a fast and furious hot hatch. But it’s just sorta there.

Come to think of it: DUDE, the answer is to own that awesome logo and print it across the entire face of that bad boy. Embossed by cnc machine on a thick slab of anodized. Something that says business like a cattleman’s belt buckle. Sorta

Sorta like Bryston newer amps try and utterly fail to do. their logo is not cool: it’s just their name and in some typeface that never got over shrooms or came off a Yes album cover. They were better off keeping it purely industrial: “it’s a Bryston. You can throw it into a truck 1000 times and it will still work. Nothing to see here.”

Or if your not into the whole tasteful thing, etch it into clear acrylic (painted black on the backside, the size of the entire front and light it from the edge so only the etched part glows. You could use Halloween green or Easter blue I guess. Or like the user to select whatever RGB monstrosity they like.

The latter could be the Buckeye Gamer edition. You could charge twice the price for the same thing but with rgb.

Look man, I totally would get a buckeye rather than some overpriced NAD that likely has worse capacitors and whathaveyous.

Last edited:

Multicore

Major Contributor
A) hey man, no need to get uptight. Sorry if I triggered you. It’s cool if you’re a Buckeye loyalist and consider Schiit a bunch of Marco-syndicalist class AB maxi zoomed wee bees. From the text on their website they seem a bit duchie to me too, Man. So like your free to have like your opinion. You may love the Eagles, while I hate the f-ing eagles. No biggie.

but that is not what I was saying, and I think you know it man. I was merely pointing out that their products have a distinctive design language, one that is consistent from $90 to +1000, and that the cases are very economical in every way.

B) Also, no need for Manicheanism or whayhaveyous: design does not mean more expensive. function is not the opposite of form. Beauty is not opposed to utility. There are lots of ins and outs.

Take, for example, your ceramic plates on display…

C) One can be constructively critical. As I was attempting to be. Maybe that was not clear. Replying as you do with the equivalent of “if you don’t like it in (insert country of choice) go live in (insert country of not your choice), is sorta off putting.
gosh, it seems like i did a lot of things besides type that short sentence

musicforcities

When people bring up “Just offer two different cases for those who want to pay more” it is nowhere near that simple.
Dude, I dig your vibe. I was just pondering and what have you.

I’m beginning to think of the Buckeye style along the lines of the late 1990s IBM thinkpads. Or 1970s BMW interiors.

Flat black. All angels. All machine . No BS.

Leather optional.

1703461772721.gif

1703461908451.jpeg

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hey man, no need to get uptight. Sorry if I triggered you.
they seem a bit duchie to me too, Man.
while I hate the f-ing eagles. No biggie.
but that is not what I was saying, and I think you know it man.
Also, no need for Manicheanism or whayhaveyous
Cause like dude
This Buckeye cat nailed it.
The Buckeye logo is bad-ass man
There is more.

Are you trying to audition for a part in a 1980's detective show based - oh I dunno - somewhere in south Florida?

:p

(Happy Christmas)

AdamG

Forum Donor
Listen Bro, like I’m digging what you’re laying down Dude. But, like, this is a tripping Review Thread and if we don’t tighten up the slack around here dude. That Moderator Cats is going to come in here and ruin our buzz. So like, we don’t want that Bro. We had better take this side convo to the down lo (Any of Buckeye’s Build Threads listed in his signature) before the fuzz gets back. See ya there bro.

Smoking Lamp is Lit.

musicforcities

Listen Bro, like I’m digging what you’re laying down Dude. But, like, this is a tripping Review Thread and if we don’t tighten up the slack around here dude. That Moderator Cats is going to come in here and ruin our buzz. So like, we don’t want that Bro. We had better take this side convo to the down lo (Any of Buckeye’s Build Threads listed in his signature) before the fuzz gets back. See ya there bro.

Smoking Lamp is Lit.
There is just not much to say technically beside, great job Buckeye. Amp problem effectively solved. For a very good price.

Copy paste a few hundred times. Then Thread closed.

Top Bottom