• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Relatively Inexpensive Multichannel Amp

xirtam2005

Looking for a relatively inexpensive 5-channel multichannel amp that is a good value for what it is.

I've narrowed it down to:
1) Marantz MM7055 5-channel
2) Buckeye Hypex NC252MP 6-channel
3) Emotiva BasX A5 5-channel

1) and 2) are similarly priced, while 3) is by far the cheapest.

Questions:
->Is 3) as good as 1)
-> Is 2) better than 1) and/or 3)

The processor has both RCA and XLR outputs

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buckeye will be the lightest. If you want light and good, this one is a solid contender.

I think Emotiva still wires their XLR inputs wrong.

Know nothing about Marantz, but if I were looking for a high value multichannel AB bruiser I’d be looking used - you might find something like a Sherwood A-965 (7 channels, but very well designed and built amp) for very little money. Or an old Lexicon (Bryston rebadge).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of that group, I'd get the Buckeye. Personally I'd get the NC502MP instead. (2) is a bit more powerful than the others. Mostly what sort of power do you need for your speakers/listening?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
502 front LCR, 252 surrounds.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Buckeye. Or perhaps ATI if you prefer Class AB, something like the AT1825. Don't get the Emotiva. It's cheap for a reason.

OP
X

xirtam2005

Tanks. That AT1825 is a nice amp, but it is quite expensive - out of budget and a bit overkill for this application. That's probably in Parasound A52 price range.

Price range is $1500 give or take a few hundred for a 5 channel, so I don't need to cheap out on the Emotiva. The Marantz and Buckeye are in that range. Not tied to AB. Class D is OK, as long as it is "good" class D. Open to different options for 5 channel in that price range, as long as it is good value for what it is.

OP
X

xirtam2005

There are plenty of decent 5 channel amps in the higher $2-3ish k range, like ATI 1825, Parasound A52+, Anthem, Rotel, etc. Marantz makes a better 7 channel amp (8000 series) in that higher price range, but am hoping to find something decent in the $1500ish range.

eric-c

Forum Donor
Also consider some older/used 3ch and matching 2 ch amps. If really old, they may not have 12v triggers. My first mc amp was a 5 ch acurus and it didn't have 12v triggers

OP
X

xirtam2005

This application is just to power small Paradigm MilleniaOne speakers with an existing Marantz AV7005 Preamp Pro that has both RCA and XLR outs. I don't need anything super-powerful, but want good high quality clean power. The Marantz AV77005 would at least aesthetically match this well and may have even been originally introduced to match this Pre/Pro However, the Buckeye price is right. Certainly don't need the ~$3k AB powerhouses for this application. Probably down to the Buckeye vs. Marantz unless there's anything better in this price range that is new.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tanks. That AT1825 is a nice amp, but it is quite expensive - out of budget and a bit overkill for this application. That's probably in Parasound A52 price range.

Price range is $1500 give or take a few hundred for a 5 channel, so I don't need to cheap out on the Emotiva. The Marantz and Buckeye are in that range. Not tied to AB. Class D is OK, as long as it is "good" class D. Open to different options for 5 channel in that price range, as long as it is good value for what it is.
Curious, why do you need equal power to surrounds....lots of multich music rather than movies?

OP
X

xirtam2005

Outlaw Audio 5000 used or the newer version. Good reviews here and on Audioholics.

Thanks for suggesting this. That looks to be a much better amp than the Marantz. The Outlaw is also rated for 4 ohms. Don't think the Marantz is. That Marantz looks little more than a "good receiver amp" from the early 2010's, which is a lot better than modern 2023 receiver amps now, but not great for a good quality amp. Still very much considering the Buckeye.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have exactly the same speakers 5x. Both movies and multichannel music.
Plus I missed you said processor rather than avr so I was thinking of a 3ch amp rather than 5. I'd do same as you but still look at higher output Buckeye Hypex offerings....may as well just get as much power with one buy as you can.

OP
X

xirtam2005

Plus I missed you said processor rather than avr so I was thinking of a 3ch amp rather than 5. I'd do same as you but still look at higher output Buckeye Hypex offerings....may as well just get as much power with one buy as you can.

I'm leaning toward the Buckeye, but would those particular speakers really benefit from anything more than the NC252? They're small speakers, but they are good quality small speakers: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-fq2kQ9sZsDj/p_819MIL1W/Paradigm-MilleniaOne-1-0-Gloss-White.html

Plus don't have the space for multiple boxes.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm leaning toward the Buckeye, but would those particular speakers really benefit from anything more than the NC252? They're small speakers, but they are good quality small speakers: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-fq2kQ9sZsDj/p_819MIL1W/Paradigm-MilleniaOne-1-0-Gloss-White.html

Plus don't have the space for multiple boxes.
Always the same speakers in the same room/situation? I'd rather have the flexibility in simply a more capable amp with one buy as a best situation thing....

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for suggesting this. That looks to be a much better amp than the Marantz. The Outlaw is also rated for 4 ohms. Don't think the Marantz is. That Marantz looks little more than a "good receiver amp" from the early 2010's, which is a lot better than modern 2023 receiver amps now, but not great for a good quality amp. Still very much considering the Buckeye.
I have the original Outlaw 5000 and I use the preamp outputs of a Marantz SR7005 receiver driving the Outlaw. Marantz sounds thinner and shuts down at high volume occasionally. Much prefer the Outlaw. I know all amps sound the same… no they don’t.

Top Bottom