• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't think that's going to be a budget solution at 8ohm. Though @JohnYang1997 keeps teasing some upcoming amps from topping at up to 200W (I guess at 4 ohm)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That whole trend of 4 Ohm ratings is bothersome and I've made the mistake of thinking it is 8 Ohms when the ratings are for 4 Ohms.
Agreed - it irritates the hell out of me. In my day power ratings were always at 8Ω (Ha - just found the Ω symbol on my mac)

SEEDSTAR

Don't think that's going to be a budget solution at 8ohm. Though @JohnYang1997 keeps teasing some upcoming amps from topping at up to 200W (I guess at 4 ohm)
I only really wanted to spend about £200ish. I've been looking at old NADs and Sony's in the 130>150 Watts 8ohm range. Been looking at all the usual Behringer A800 / Crown 1502 / MC2 / Lab Gruppen etc too.

Really I should prob wait and pony up for Nord's 200watts hypex

Last edited:

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Agreed - it irritates the hell out of me. In my day power ratings were always at 8Ω (Ha - just found the Ω symbol on my mac)
well, if u saw Amir's speaker measurments - speaker "specced" impedance has nothing to do with reality. 8 Ohm speaker may go down as low as 2Ohm depending on frequency.

Lambda

Major Contributor
That whole trend of 4 Ohm ratings is bothersome and I've made the mistake of thinking it is 8 Ohms when the ratings are for 4 Ohms.
Amplifier Should give the Max output voltage and max output current or maybe the minimum load resistance.

If the power is given at 4ohm its easy and save to assume the power at 8ohm will be halve this. but it doesn't work the other way around.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amplifier Should give the Max output voltage and max output current or maybe the minimum load resistance.

If the power is given at 4ohm its easy and save to assume the power at 8ohm will be halve this. but it doesn't work the other way around.
It's not safe to assume this. I've seen amps specced the same at 4ohm and 8ohm. It will depend on whether the power is voltage limited (in 8ohm) or current limited in 4 ohm.

IE if an amp has the voltage capability to deliver x watts into 8 ohm, is the power supply capable of delivering 2x the power at 4 ohm.

Lambda

Major Contributor
It's not safe to assume this. I've seen amps specced the same at 4ohm and 8ohm. It will depend on whether the power is voltage limited (in 8ohm) or current limited in 4 ohm.

IE if an amp has the voltage capability to deliver x watts into 8 ohm, is the power supply capable of delivering 2x the power at 4 ohm.
Yes of cause but if the amp is voltage limited (typical) its save to assume it can deliver at least halve the power into double the impedance
If its current limited (not many amps are) maybe even more.

Redheart

Hi there, I got into asr because of the need for a cheap And clean amp for a DIY studio Monitor loudspeaker project I was building. Long story short, I bought the Aiyima A07 and enjoy it a lot! It’s very dynamic and detailed with zero noise floor and can get pretty loud.
read about the warning about the power supply if it’s too high voltage. So I got the stock 32v 5a power brick. Sound was very nice!

but I was experimenting farting bass at very high volume. My speaker are sealed box bass with super smooth roll off, sensitivy around 87db and a nice 8 ohm load and with minimal 6.5 ohm dip I think.

So… I bought the nice 48v 7.5a in alu case PSU even though it was kind of a gamble. I was thinking heck now I have a power switch button!

and I can tell you it’s been two weeks of heavy use and if you want to hear what the A07 can really do, and considering your speaker are 8 ohms, buy this PSU!!!

I cannot show graphs or what I am hearing, but I feel cleaner sounds at higher volume, bass is no longer bottlenecked my woofers don’t wobble during demanding passages, and sound seems more Dynamique and detailed if I am not delusional hehe!

Now the bass is phenomenal at high volume, really really pleased! I am so pleased that I don’t even consider Buying the “other amps“ that I was after.

maybe later when I have cash to throw out I will try to buy some amps like Mcintosh (lust for looks) or Jeff Rowland (status symbol baby!) and A/B them with the A07 w/48v 7.5a.

and I’ll keep you posted, but for the time being I can assure you that there is no clipping, not protection shut down, the amp stays cool, while I push the volume to the max during 2 hours while I was not in front Because it was so loud just to test if the formers warnings were true. Well they were not founded for people using true 8ohm load speakers!
i believe that many manufacturers state a misleading 8ohm loads when they can average in the 6 ohm and dip in the 4ohm!
and I certainly trust people reporting having issues with higher voltage PSUed A07 with their 4 ohms load speakers that I am sure dip in the 2ohm for the worst designed speakers!

my speakers really average above 7.5ohm and dip no lower than 6.5ohm.

also I love the build of the psu it has a led ring led around the power switch that goes together well with the a07, elevates the somewhat poor looks of it! It’s the same width too so a nice stack. For 45€ it’s a deal!

i didn’t shoot the amp with PSU doh! but here is the speaker project, it’s still raw mdf, I just tinted the front baffle black.
82A0B740-6E21-4A6B-87EA-820F566181C8.jpeg

Last edited:

Ordin Aryguy

Hi there, I got into asr because of the need for a cheap And clean amp for a DIY studio Monitor loudspeaker project I was building. Long story short, I bought the Aiyima A07 and enjoy it a lot! It’s very dynamic and detailed with zero noise floor and can get pretty loud.
read about the warning about the power supply if it’s too high voltage. So I got the stock 32v 5a power brick. Sound was very nice!

but I was experimenting farting bass at very high volume. My speaker are sealed box bass with super smooth roll off, sensitivy around 87db and a nice 8 ohm load and with minimal 6.5 ohm dip I think.

So… I bought the nice 48v 7.5a in alu case PSU even though it was kind of a gamble. I was thinking heck now I have a power switch button!

and I can tell you it’s been two weeks of heavy use and if you want to hear what the A07 can really do, and considering your speaker are 8 ohms, buy this PSU!!!

I cannot show graphs or what I am hearing, but I feel cleaner sounds at higher volume, bass is no longer bottlenecked my woofers don’t wobble during demanding passages, and sound seems more Dynamique and detailed if I am not delusional hehe!

Now the bass is phenomenal at high volume, really really pleased! I am so pleased that I don’t even consider Buying the “other amps“ that I was after.

maybe later when I have cash to throw out I will try to buy some amps like Mcintosh (lust for looks) or Jeff Rowland (status symbol baby!) and A/B them with the A07 w/48v 7.5a.

and I’ll keep you posted, but for the time being I can assure you that there is no clipping, not protection shut down, the amp stays cool, while I push the volume to the max during 2 hours while I was not in front Because it was so loud just to test if the formers warnings were true. Well they were not founded for people using true 8ohm load speakers!
i believe that many manufacturers state a misleading 8ohm loads when they can average in the 6 ohm and dip in the 4ohm!
and I certainly trust people reporting having issues with higher voltage PSUed A07 with their 4 ohms load speakers that I am sure dip in the 2ohm for the worst designed speakers!

my speakers really average above 7.5ohm and dip no lower than 6.5ohm.

also I love the build of the psu it has a led ring led around the power switch that goes together well with the a07, elevates the somewhat poor looks of it! It’s the same width too so a nice stack. For 45€ it’s a deal!

i didn’t shoot the amp with PSU doh! but here is the speaker project, it’s still raw mdf, I just tinted the front baffle black.View attachment 166702

What power supply did you buy?
Have a link?

Ordin

Redheart

Last edited:

Sami

There you go, this is the 48V 7.5a PSU I bought.

in short, if you have 8 ohm load speakers, use this PSU :)

Also change the two A07 power capacitors for nichicon 1000uf 63v In place of the 1000uf 50v ones.

No specs? Does that PSU have any certifications, EMI filtering?
Compare to Meanwell LRS-350 for example (IEC/EN60335-1(PD3), IEC/EN61558-1, -2-16; IEC/EN/UL62368-1 and GB4943).

Redheart

I really don’t know anything about certifications on this PSU, but it seems to add 2000uf of filtering per channel before feeding the A07 48VDC.
didn’t have any noise issue before this PSU, and now it’s all better regarding power and definition.
I am convinced that the most dramatic change due to This PSU is the lower octave region. Definition is now really good, in line with all the rest of the frequency spectrum. With the. 32v 5a I was really not happy with flabby bass in the. 30 to 40hz region…

Last edited:

Redheart

No specs? Does that PSU have any certifications, EMI filtering?
Compare to Meanwell LRS-350 for example (IEC/EN60335-1(PD3), IEC/EN61558-1, -2-16; IEC/EN/UL62368-1 and GB4943).
underneath the unit there is a sticker with the branding and power info:
it says safety norm : CE FU

Here is the page for the Aiyima branded one. Maybe if we ask them they will answer regarding the safety norms.

Last edited:

bramsat

Verry good amp the aiyima....but you want an fantastic sound? ......Topping E30!

nawfal07

Hi everyone, just registered and I’m new in hifi as well.

I’ve been in home theater hobby, but I also listen to music sometimes. Obviously for music I’ve been using an AVR which is a Denon AVC-X3700H, with a pair of KEF Q350s. They sound amazing to me, clear details with sweet trebles, with an SVS PB-2000 Pro subwoofer (I know). I don’t have anyone in my circle with the same hobby, but online speaker groups have been pushing us home theater people to get a separate DAC / stereo amplifier and whatnot claiming that our jaw will drop. I’ve dismissed them for so long but now out of curiosity I’m gonna go ahead and take the first step.

At the moment it’s not possible for me to visit showrooms for a demo but I can purchase stuffs online. I don’t want to start with a big budget for something I don’t really believe in yet, I’m looking for something dirt cheap and if I’m sold I’ll be spending some serious money for a whole new setup with even higher end speakers.

This is when I came across this Aiyima A07, which is way cheaper than I expected to find, but if it works then why not, so this is where we come to my questions.

1. Will this Aiyima A07 prove them right? Outperfoming my Denon AVR? I mean the sound quality. Or just the same or maybe worse at which point will not change my mind on the debate, I’ll be wasting my time so I should go right ahead and get those expensive big boys instead?

2. I also found Aiyima A08, it has the same TPA3255 amp so it should perform similar to A07 right? I’m attracted to this model because of the power supply, I can just use my IEC plugs I have lying around.

3. Or is there any model with the same TPA3255 amp that has a subwoofer pre-out?

Thankd in advance!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone, just registered and I’m new in hifi as well.

I’ve been in home theater hobby, but I also listen to music sometimes. Obviously for music I’ve been using an AVR which is a Denon AVC-X3700H, with a pair of KEF Q350s. They sound amazing to me, clear details with sweet trebles, with an SVS PB-2000 Pro subwoofer (I know). I don’t have anyone in my circle with the same hobby, but online speaker groups have been pushing us home theater people to get a separate DAC / stereo amplifier and whatnot claiming that our jaw will drop. I’ve dismissed them for so long but now out of curiosity I’m gonna go ahead and take the first step.

At the moment it’s not possible for me to visit showrooms for a demo but I can purchase stuffs online. I don’t want to start with a big budget for something I don’t really believe in yet, I’m looking for something dirt cheap and if I’m sold I’ll be spending some serious money for a whole new setup with even higher end speakers.

This is when I came across this Aiyima A07, which is way cheaper than I expected to find, but if it works then why not, so this is where we come to my questions.

1. Will this Aiyima A07 prove them right? Outperfoming my Denon AVR? I mean the sound quality. Or just the same or maybe worse at which point will not change my mind on the debate, I’ll be wasting my time so I should go right ahead and get those expensive big boys instead?

2. I also found Aiyima A08, it has the same TPA3255 amp so it should perform similar to A07 right? I’m attracted to this model because of the power supply, I can just use my IEC plugs I have lying around.

3. Or is there any model with the same TPA3255 amp that has a subwoofer pre-out?

Thankd in advance!
They are most likely wrong - your jaw is unlikely to drop. Your AVR performs pretty well (it measures 88dB sinad for the amp here) - not as well as great stereo amps, but the difference - if audible at all - will be very difficult to hear even if you are trained at listening - certainly nothing like "night and day"

Further - the A07 is a bargain basement amp - and measures a little worse than your Denon at , about 83db Sinad - although again you'll probably not hear the differences

Similarly - there are probably better DACs available than that built into your Denon. The denon Dac measures at 97dB, and state of the art DACs can achieve 120dB, however, above about 110db any improvement is pretty much inaudible to people even with the most sensitive ears, and I doubt very many people would be able to hear a difference to your Denon in real world conditions.

One thing you should be doing though for any analogue sources, is listening to your music in "pure direct" mode on the Denon - this turns off all the DSP, and allows the best possible signal through to the amplifier stages.

Top Bottom