• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima A07 Pro Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 98 52.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 21 11.2%

• Total voters

375HP2482

The FTC stepped in in 1974 as we all know, but home audio was a much bigger (and more expensive relatively) at the time. They won't do anything these days, got bigger fish to fry.
Bigger fish, indeed. Like the Full Self Driving Teslas that aren't. Level 2 is not Level 5.

Jukka

I'd like to see Aiyima specifying the power their completed product can actually achieve, as opposed to a best case IC data-sheet spec @10%THD with a layout and power supply they clearly don't employ.

They claim 300Wx2@4R for this thing. :facepalm:

The SMPS you tested with was 216W (rated) and you squeezed 110WPC (2 channels driven), so even with the maximum voltage supply (48V), the amp might manage 140WPC (I highly doubt it). That's still not even half of what they claim...

I really miss conservatively honest and regulatory compliant specifications. There's a few generations of people who have grown up seeing a total lack of honesty plastered all over the fronts of gear and with the various bodies tasked with ensuring truth in advertising being comatose at the wheel.

Why not claim 50wpc@8R and 100wpc@4R? That's what it achieved and is a bargain for that amount of power.
I understand this and the marketing aspect as well. Literally all if the chip amps use inflated power numbers and when you get past that, you also understand not to trust them and let the "power feeling" pass. I have personally learned to ignore the "first" power rating and look for well defined power ratings or graphs in the details. Let the marketing use whatever numbers they like as long as the honest numbers are there too. When I see a chipamp I most often search for the specsheet and look at the "knee point" in the power graph, because that's kind of a hard limit what the chip can do. But it would save me time if I didn't need to. Turns me into a window shopper.

375HP2482

With the chip amplifiers it's simpler than that. Just examine the bundled power supply, multiply the Volts output by the Amps output and divide by two (channels). Multiply that by 0.95 and you will get the unit's maximum 4-ohm power per channel; divide by two to get the 8-ohm power.

Using a more powerful power supply than what is offered with the unit is inviting issues.

Snix

Bought this lil guy the other day, gotta say it's the best cheapo-hifi I have bought in years.
Pair it with a cheap now-mostly-sound-all-the-same DAC and I can enjoy a good music with the cost of few cups of starbucks.

Yeh, the tone control knobs aren't sophisticated (and the lack of detent/tone defeat), the Bluetooth isn't top notch,
but hey surprise! you can buy a non-pro version with cheaper price if you don't want those things.

For me tho, tone controls aren't such a big issue since the amp itself doesn't sound super clean in the first place,
so I'm just having fun with the tiny knobs and explore them with long forgotten pairs of speakers.
Bluetooth is just a convenient pinch-hitter when for some reasons, you don't/can't use your DAC.

Lastly, it's a darn 90$ amp (you can find even cheaper deal from time to time especially Asian stores love matched date&month 1/1, 2/2, 3/3 etc.)
iirc I got it like <70$.

Will this amp be your hifi holygrail? Prolly no. (If yes, then gratz, you lucky son of a gun)
Will it improve your sex life? Depends, but highly likely, no.
Will it drive your speakers well enough? Prolly yes.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I feel like unless you spend a bit more and get a better BT chipset arrangement with AAC Qualcomm LDAC then youre going to get a shit BT implementation... I think people dont test it because its a convenience feature that the Chinese expect...

There's a few new players here, the new A04 and the Fosi V3 but I would SPECIFCALLY get an amp with no tone and no BT and as simple as possible just because I know they will probably mess up basic features.

You're not going to get dragged down by shit that isnt there.

Sadly I dont think these guys are up to SMSL and Topping but then the price isnt there either.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
are they though? where's the $599 to $1,000+ devices? where's the infineon powered stufff? some were even reluctant to add... a remote control!

these guys, bless their hearts, havent even discovered the invention of the internal psu!

Birdy

I have 2 Aiyima A07 one is stock and the other one with OPA2604. I can tell you that the OPA2604 version sounds way better when compared side by side. No dreams there!
agree 100% on sound improvement Aiyima A07 with opa2604, i use the Aiyima A3 tube pre amp (stock tubes) with opa2134 for some "warming up", great combination ;-)

Last edited:

grogi.giant

With the chip amplifiers it's simpler than that. Just examine the bundled power supply, multiply the Volts output by the Amps output and divide by two (channels). Multiply that by 0.95 and you will get the unit's maximum 4-ohm power per channel; divide by two to get the 8-ohm power.

Using a more powerful power supply than what is offered with the unit is inviting issues.
What have you been smoking?!

You are saying that 24V/10A gives you same output power into 4Ohm as 48V/5A. That's nonsense.

Kip

This is a review and detailed measurements of the AIYIMA A07 Pro stereo amplifier. It was kindly drop shipped to me by a member and costs about $90.
View attachment 286715
As you see the distinguishing factor from some of the other Aiyima amplifiers is inclusion of tone controls. Alas, that is also where the problem is with this unit: there is no detent and no way of setting its response to flat. Worse yet small changes in the dials will make large differences in tonality. So while I like having toner controls, I definitely like to see a tone defeat feature. Otherwise the unit feels nice to use and operate. As is typical, the power supply is much larger than the amplifier itself:
View attachment 286716

AIYIMA A07 Pro Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard of 1 kHz tone into a pure 4 ohm load, driven to stereo at 5 watts:
View attachment 286717

We expect good performance from AIYIMA and we get it:

View attachment 286719

Switching to my PowerCube Loadbox, we can simulate more complex loads: (1 channel tested)
View attachment 286720

As you see, performance is essentially the same.

Noise performance is good enough for this class of budget amplifiers:
View attachment 286721

Multitone shows good performance:
View attachment 286722

Frequency response unfortunately is load (speaker) dependent:
View attachment 286723
So you may be forced to use the treble control to adjust high frequency response for your speaker.

Crosstalk is very good:
View attachment 286724

Let's get into all important power measurements starting with 4 ohm:
View attachment 286725

View attachment 286726

This is plenty for desktop use. Switching to 8 ohm naturally robs us of fair amount of power:
View attachment 286727

Fortunately vast majority of speakers on the market are 4 ohm nominal.

To see stability of the amplifier, let's subject it to suite of loads and reactive components:
View attachment 286728

An ideal amplifier would follow the red line. We are essentially there for both 8 and 4 ohm. Surprisingly this little amp managed to also keep running at 2 ohm, albeit without capacitive component and some power drop. Many amps simply shut down and won't even work into 2 ohm.

Edit: here is the response vs frequency that I forgot to post originally:
View attachment 287021

Finally, here is the warm up profile:
View attachment 286729

In use, the amplifier ran pretty cool.

Conclusions
The AIYIMA A07 Pro continues the tradition of the company providing competent levels of noise and distortion, good bit of power and very reasonable price. While tone controls are a nice added feature, they lack a defeat switch. And we have our usual load dependency.

Personally I very much dislike the lack of tone control defeat so won't buy it. But if that doesn't bother you, then the AIYIMA A07 Pro is another good bargain in stereo amplification.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Do you have a text version of the SINAD ranking information you could post ?
I was surprised to see the A07 pro beating the Sony STR DH190 so handily.
I would like to use this information when listening for differences between my Sony STR-DH790 and the Aiyima and Douk 3255 based amps I have.

Last edited by a moderator:

RDoc

Do you have a text version of the SINAD ranking information you could post ?
I was surprised to see the A07 pro beating the Sony STR DH190 so handily.
I would like to use this information when listening for differences between my Sony STR-DH790 and the Aiyima and Douk 3255 based amps I have.
Wouldn't it be better to listen for differences between them without knowing which was which?

Kip

Wouldn't it be better to listen for differences between them without knowing which was which?
That will show the contrast between the two I already own, but they are only close matches with what is represented in the ranking in the image.
If I had the same data in a table, any time I wish to consult this ranking, I could actually string search for a close match to what I have to get an idea when considering anything new.
That would be a very ergonomic way of getting more benefit from this great work.

carlmart

Is it possible to find an A07 pro schematics to see how the tone controls are connected? Quite probably not.

I've read there's an IC for the input and two ICs for the tone controls, so these two might be by-passable, in theory at least. But we are dealing with SMDs here, so a schematic is necessary. Something might be tried, which is connecting a shielded wire between the input IC output pin, pull out the tone chips and connect that wire to the tone control output. Then add a switch to that cable, or simply leave it like that, which would be an A07 in fact.

What do you think Amirm?

The gain over the A07 would be an input selecting switch, which in my case would be important.

Attachments

• Aiyima A07 pro.jpg
    Aiyima A07 pro.jpg
    966.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible to find an A07 pro schematics to see how the tone controls are connected?
Unless you reverse engineer it yourself, it's unliklely you get schematics for this kind of device.

grogi.giant

Is it possible to find an A07 pro schematics to see how the tone controls are connected? Quite probably not.

I've read there's an IC for the input and two ICs for the tone controls, so these two might be by-passable, in theory at least. But we are dealing with SMDs here, so a schematic is necessary. Something might be tried, which is connecting a shielded wire between the input IC output pin, pull out the tone chips and connect that wire to the tone control output. Then add a switch to that cable, or simply leave it like that, which would be an A07 in fact.

What do you think Amirm?

The gain over the A07 would be an input selecting switch, which in my case would be important.

Go to TI website, download "Audio Tone Control Using The TLC074 Operational Amplifier".

I don't think anybody would engineer anything else for a mass amplifier like this one.

carlmart

Go to TI website, download "Audio Tone Control Using The TLC074 Operational Amplifier".

I don't think anybody would engineer anything else for a mass amplifier like this one.
Well, of course the circuit should be very simple. This was taken from TI, and the red line bypass is what I propose. You may add a switch, if you find a place where to put it.
First you pull out the two tone ICs and then add the bypass.

Attachments

• Aiyima Filters Bypass.jpg
    Aiyima Filters Bypass.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 82

KaeliKoo

I received the new upgraded Aiyima 48V5A power supply for evaluation, had it 1 week/100 hrs usage. The previous 48V liked to make it's own noises and was not much appreciated - the upgrade version seems to be quite capable and is very quiet. Sound quality seems very comparable to the Fosi 48V5A, the Ayima unit is about 1/4" less in height than Fosi and a tad heavier. Main difference is the power cord, the Aiyima has 3 prong plug w/grounding on both ends. Feels like quality and no issues with driving any of the TP3255 amps I have. (pic with Aiyima on left, Fosi on right with the traditional "figure 8" receptor)

Attachments

• Aiyima_PS.jpg
    Aiyima_PS.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 86

grogi.giant

I received the new upgraded Aiyima 48V5A power supply for evaluation, had it 1 week/100 hrs usage. The previous 48V liked to make it's own noises and was not much appreciated - the upgrade version seems to be quite capable and is very quiet. Sound quality seems very comparable to the Fosi 48V5A, the Ayima unit is about 1/4" less in height than Fosi and a tad heavier. Main difference is the power cord, the Aiyima has 3 prong plug w/grounding on both ends. Feels like quality and no issues with driving any of the TP3255 amps I have. (pic with Aiyima on left, Fosi on right with the traditional "figure 8" receptor)

They are called C13 and C7 respectively.

Very handy when you search for spare/longer cables.

carlmart

I've read that some people had technical problems when using a 48v power supply, though I don't know if the upgraded supply corrected this. Can anyone confirm that and say which is the one to get. Channels blew and things like that.
For one I'd say that a new heatsink should be used, replacing the original one. One larger or with more fins, but if you don't at least unscrew the HS and replace the heat grease. That corrected a switch off problem I had with a TPA3118 amp. It seemed to get too hot and it switched off.
Another thing to do is cutting a round hole on the A07 or A07 pro top cover, and installing a fan. You would have to find a suitable voltage for the fan in the amp to link to.
My A07 will probably arrive next week, with its included 32v supply. I will check if it attends my power need. Most certainly yes, but I don't have instruments to measure distortion. Perhaps someone can say what input voltages make the A07 distort, because then a peak level led could be added up front.
Is it a good upgrade replacing the volume pot for an Alps log pot? What value is the original pot?
Here the different upgrades proposed and tried in DIYAudio for the A07.

Top Bottom