• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Berwhale I intend to listen to the setup with my ears, the size of the room is a small room.

The distance from your ears to the speakers is a rather important consideration.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I am not too serious, I was just sincerely
confused and I think @sarumbear was in the same boat. I suspect we were having more of a difference of semantics than a disagreement on facts.

I just ran a search in the review index, and at least of the speakers Amir has reviewed; Genelec 8030C sticks out as maybe the best match for your criteria.

Maybe look for a deal on Focal Solo6Be if you like the aesthetics there. Personally I would get the Focal, but more because I love the brand and Genelec would look a little odd with my decor.

Last edited:
OP
Thunder

Thunder

The distance from your ears to the speakers is a rather important consideration.

I believe more in the near field then, to use with my gaming PC, with my 48" Oled 4K 120Hz HDR Gsync LG C1 Gaming TV muahahaha

Last edited:
OP
Thunder

Thunder

I am not too serious, I was just sincerely
confused and I think @sarumbear was in the same boat. I suspect we were having more of a difference of semantics than a disagreement on facts.

I just ran a search in the review index, and at least of the speakers Amir has reviewed; Genelec 8030C sticks out as maybe the best match for your criteria.

Maybe look for a deal on Focal Solo6Be if you like the aesthetics there. Personally I would get the Focal, but more because I love the brand and Genelec would look a little odd with my decor.
Nice

OP
Thunder

Thunder

Now if you excuse me I'm going to proceed to listen to reggaeton at 128Kbps in mp3 converted from YouTube with my $5 bluetooth speaker from a chinese shop.

Katji

Major Contributor
Rephrase the question. Speakers are not for the DAC, they are for you to hear audio/music, in your room. And you make sure the amplifier is suitable for the speakers.
Choose speakers according to your budget, your room, what you like the look of. DAC has fxxkall to do with it.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there all brochachos, please don't kill me and don't kill you each other, I just want some recommendation

@Berwhale I intend to listen to the setup with my ears, the size of the room is a small room.
@Helicopter My budget is about one trillion dollars for each speaker (Just kidding) I wouldn't like to spend more than $1000 for each monitor.
@sarumbear Haha you're so funny, really, I'm crying of laughter here (Sarcasm) By the way you seem to be an expert in this matter. o_O
@Beershaun Oh, you join the party too, don't drink and drive :p Thanks for your comment and suggestion
@Harmonie Sisterchacha, I'm looking for some monitors worthy of the best DAC for it's price right now (D90SE) I mean I won't be buying the best dac and connecting a pair of $20 monitors :facepalm:
@HiFidFan Haha memes and all that, long live the Internet! :cool:
@sweetchaos My budget is of 1€ for the whole setup (Lulz), read my answer to @Helicopter in this comment, thanks. Bookshelves, active (But really no preference, I'm not the best audiophile in the world like you guys, my life doesn't depend on it.)

Don't laugh guys, thanks for all your replies, and don't take it too seriously, I'm just a random user, but I have feelings too... :(
Well said. Since your listening distance is 1m I think the genelecs are a fantastic choice! Go ahead and get them and you will be very happy!

OP
Thunder

Thunder

I'm gonna put it very easy for you guys:

If you already got the D90SE, what speakers/monitors would you get?

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Thunder "They wouldn't be too small, right?"

Too small? Too small for what?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
For your budget and listening distance, I would be deciding between Genelec 8030C or Neumann KH120.

Another member posted his semi-anechoic measurements of the KH120, and it's on-par with Neumann's provided spinorama...which speaks volumes about Neumann's accuracy and transparency.
index.php

source.

Here's the comparison btw Genelec 8030C (dashed) or Neumann KH120 (solid):
1632711003913.png

source.

Genelec 8030C:
1. Literally destruct proof.
2. Preference Score is 6.3 and would be 8.5 with a perfect subwoofer.
3. Not as deep bass (Bass extension: 46Hz at -6dB)
4. On budget, 450 EUR/each https://www.thomannmusic.com/intl/genelec_8030_cp.htm

Neumann KH 120:
1. Preference Score is 6.7 and would be 8.7 with a perfect subwoofer.
2. Better bass response (Bass extension: 42Hz at -6dB)
3. On budget, 520 EUR/each https://www.thomannmusic.com/intl/neumann_kh_120_a.htm

Seeing how many people are happy with both Genelecs (myself included) and Neumanns, IMO, those would be my recommendations.

Also, Focal Solo 6 Be looks gorgeous (and measures well)...but slightly outside of his budget (at 800 EUR/each), I believe.

OP
Thunder

Thunder

For your budget and listening distance, I would be deciding between Genelec 8030C or Neumann KH120.

Another member posted his semi-anechoic measurements of the KH120, and it's on-par with Neumann's provided spinorama...which speaks volumes about Neumann's accuracy and transparency.
index.php

source.

Here's the comparison btw Genelec 8030C (dashed) or Neumann KH120 (solid):
View attachment 155827
source.

Genelec 8030C:
1. Literally destruct proof.
2. Preference Score is 6.3 and would be 8.5 with a perfect subwoofer.
3. Not as deep bass (Bass extension: 46Hz at -6dB)
4. On budget, 450 EUR/each https://www.thomannmusic.com/intl/genelec_8030_cp.htm

Neumann KH 120:
1. Preference Score is 6.7 and would be 8.7 with a perfect subwoofer.
2. Better bass response (Bass extension: 42Hz at -6dB)
3. On budget, 520 EUR/each https://www.thomannmusic.com/intl/neumann_kh_120_a.htm

Seeing how many people are happy with both Genelecs (myself included) and Neumanns, IMO, those would be my recommendations.

Also, Focal Solo 6 Be looks gorgeous (and measures well)...but slightly outside of his budget (at 800 EUR/each), I believe.
Thank you!

Haruko

Genelecs are known for their digital series 83XX which have no need for DAC as they have digital input (They simply sound superior to analog series). Any analog input will only tarnish the sound as you need to convert from Analog to digital (this ADC is from genelec and you have no way to bypass it) and back (internal DAC). 8030 Would be sane choice for dedicated DAC but you are missing on that Genelec engineering.

OP
Thunder

Thunder

Genelecs are known for their digital series 83XX which have no need for DAC as they have digital input (They simply sound superior to analog series). Any analog input will only tarnish the sound as you need to convert from Analog to digital (this ADC is from genelec and you have no way to bypass it) and back (internal DAC). 8030 Would be sane choice for dedicated DAC but you are missing on that Genelec engineering.
So I could just get the 8030C and no need for a DAC then?

Haruko

So I could just get the 8030C and no need for a DAC then?
No what I meant to say is that Genelec 8330 that doesn't need DAC will sound better than 8030 with any DAC you will ever use with. 8030 will need DAC

Top Bottom