• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop Nearfield Speakers £1k budget

potatohead113

For nearfield desktop use between 2 ft and 1M distance from me.
Active Studio Monitors vs. Passive Bookshelves + Small Amp? Roughly £1k budget.

I’m looking for desktop speakers/amp to pair with Topping DX5 DAC that I currently only use with headphones. Usage will be hi-res music playback (Apple Music, Tidal, Qobuz) + some lossy Spotify playback + some video listening for work + general audio, but all at roughly 1M nearfield.

I’ve worked professionally in film sound for several decades so I’m considering either 2nd-hand Neumann KH 120A’s vs. passive Philharmonic Audio Ceramic Monitors or True Mini Monitors, or 2nd-hand Revel M16s— those with an SMSL AO200 mkII class D amp. Prices are comparable. Anyone have an opinion on powered studio monitors vs. high-quality bookshelfs + small class D Amp? Any opinions much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Phil in the UK.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
KH120A
A lot of the smaller studio monitors are designed for nearfield although they also work in midfield.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can buy kh120’s here new for CAD$900 each, taxes in. (~ £530)
No similar deals in the UK?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's your desk layout like? How much space do you have? Will the monitors be close to a wall? (if so, may want to avoid rear ported designs) Can you get them up on stands? (to get tweeters to ear height and avoid desk reflections).

You should also factor in the cost of a measurement microphone. UMIK-1 is the easiest option, especially if you don't have an interface.

You can get a pair of iLoud MTMs + Presonus Sub8BT + UMIK-1 + stands for under £1,000 (but i'm biased and had space constraints that you may not have)

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Studio monitors in genereal but depends on models and would depend on the deal, especially when buying used. Used is likely your best bet and if you can get a pair of KH120 I would go with them. New, Kali or JBL studio monitors with subwoofer in your price range. Although, I don't know what their pricing is in the UK. If you don't desire a subwoofer go with a little better studio montior.

OP
P

potatohead113

I can buy kh120’s here new for CAD$900 each, taxes in. (~ £530)
No similar deals in the UK?
Roughly £700 buys a pair of good condition used Neumann KH120As here. The newer KH120 IIs are more than double that.

lowkeyoperations

I used to have a pair of MK120s mki for about 5 years as near fields. You can’t really do wrong. One benefit is the eq dip switches that can pull a bit of bass out if you’re putting them on your desktop that’s up against a wall as well.

You might also want to consider the KH80s as they are a bit smaller which, depending on your desk might be an advantage.

Also get some stands to get them up if the desk.

YSC

Major Contributor
Neumann or genelec with stand should work great, especially if you don’t use EQ to tame the wall boost, their various room profile did help quite a bit

OP
P

potatohead113

What's your desk layout like? How much space do you have? Will the monitors be close to a wall? (if so, may want to avoid rear ported designs) Can you get them up on stands? (to get tweeters to ear height and avoid desk reflections).

You should also factor in the cost of a measurement microphone. UMIK-1 is the easiest option, especially if you don't have an interface.

You can get a pair of iLoud MTMs + Presonus Sub8BT + UMIK-1 + stands for under £1,000 (but i'm biased and had space constraints that you may not have)
It’s a wide desk with Ultrawide computer screen, would probably be 3-6inches from wall, in a medium-sized (14’ X 11’ X 7.5’ high) room that doubles as a guest bedroom.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

FunkIT

It’s a wide desk with Ultrawide computer screen, would probably be 3-6inches from wall, in a medium-sized (14’ X 11’ X 7.5’ high) room that doubles as a guest bedroom.
Klipsch The Fives work nicely for me....real nice!
I too have an ultra wide monitor on a wide desk.
Great for gaming and high resolution music!!
No sub required but optional for those with money to spend

unpluggged

Why KH80 vs KH120A? I'd rather not get a sub. And what's your opinion between Genelec and Neumann?
They both need a sub. And for desktop setup, I'd rather get the KH 80 + KH 750 DSP than KH 120 + KH 750 DSP. In my environment, KH 120 are surprisingly better in a living room than on my desk. At about 2−2.5 meter distance they show some beautiful synergy with the room: the treble is more natural and bass is more prominent.

Jasperous

Get yourself to a Richer Sound and pick up a set of KEF LSX II, or get a set of Kanto TUKs + a KEF Sub (or the Kanto Sub8)

Top Bottom