• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade from Edifier MR4?

Erik With a K

Hi all, I currently own a pair of Edifier MR4 studio monitors running through a Teyun-Q16 with TRS cables. They've served me well over the past year, however I've been looking to upgrade as it is hard to hear anything under 70hz or so. I understand I won't be able to hear much of any sub-bass without a proper sub as most monitors I'm looking at cutoff +/-3db around 45hz, but it sucks barely being able to hear 808s with these 4" monitors. I've considered adding a sub, but I'd like to avoid it due to complicating my current setup, phase issues, amplitude and frequency miss-matches (plus I'd like to keep the bass a little quieter for my family). I've done hours of research on 6.5-8 inch monitors such as the Kali Lp-6 V2s, JBL 306Ps, along with a few other common monitors and found the front-ported LP-6s to be the best match for my setup which is in the corner of my small-ish room and is mildly treated (Rockwool panels + small basstrap).

With all this considered my main questions are:
-Should I invest in 8" monitors instead of 6.5" considering I want more bass extension?
-Are the LP-6s worth the $400 price tag or are there other options I may want to consider around $300-$600?
-What audio interfaces should I look at under $120?
-Are there any upcoming sales that I may want to look out for?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Lots of options for your budget.

See my ‘active speaker recommendation’ thread.

Studio monitors don’t go on sale very often, at least here in Canada. Only time is around Black Friday / Boxing Day.

Amir reviewed several interfaces, look at the ‘Review index’ on top of the page.

kekus

Sure you could go with Kali, JBL, Adam Audio etc. I am sure they sound great, but I would seriously consider simply adding a subwoofer.
Those monitors will have limited control over bass (+-2 db usually), whereas a sub has much more flexibility:
  • you can position it wherever bass sounds better, with monitors you are stuck - tricky especially in corners like you mentioned, usually you get a lot of gain which can sound boomy
  • it has a level dial where you can adjust the amount more than +-2 db
  • for quiet hours you can turn it off completely
  • you can cut off anything below 80hz going to the mains
  • frees up desk/stand space

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got the MR4 too and confirm bass weakness.

But I can also confirm that it sounds super awesome with a sub. Since you are also on PC you can use Equalizer Apo with unlimited processing Power and bands.

If you just want speakers though, you wont get as low but it will be a bit less complicated. Maybe try the new Kali lp-unf if you still want small monitors. Otherwise the bigger Kalis would be what I go for.

Last edited:

Krit

I had used these and there's my rating from worst to best just my personal opinion.

- JBL 306P the worst in my opinion less detail than 305 and only tiny bit more bass for 1/3 more cost. Do not recommend them.
- JBL 305P are decent monitors if they are priced correctly. What's isn't good is hiss but there is a chance to lower it by turning down gain lower than 50% and it shold be ok.
- Mackie MR524 overall slightly better than 305 faster bass they overall sound different than JBL. Hiss is not a problem to Mackie. Not good quality control may get distortion!
- Mackie MR624 similar to MR524 but better overall saunding than MR524. Is it worth 1/3 price increase over MR524 probably not if p/p is important to you. Not good quality control may get distortion!
- Kali Audio IN-5 flatest neutral saunding studio monitors i ever heard good for work but not so good for listening becouse they may sound boring, dry, lack of air in high's. Fast good response becouse of 3way but no the most detailed bass they sound more rough with these paper cones if compare to A100/SM200 not as smooth. Not good quality control may get distortion! I'd replaced two monitors both were defective.
- Focal Alpha EVO 65 good detalization for a "dome tweeter" but for longer listening my tire ears. Sound tone is not as neutral as other studio monitors. Little hissy monitors but not on JBL level. Don't like how they look fat as subwoofers :) They sound much more lively than Kali IN-5 thats for sure but overall they are not as good as A100 or SM200 in my opinion.
- Airpulse A100 Hi-Fi the smalest by size but the most bass in music where by default there are not a lot of low end. Feels like these give out more bass than even 6.5" monitors in most songs. Great detalization, depth and smooth sounding airy high's good detalization in midbass. Complete opposite to Kali Audio IN-5 not boring sounding!
- Airpulse SM200 simlar to A100 but more neutral saunding not as colored, crystal clear smooth sounding airy high's, great imaging, usually less bass in most songs, different sound tone even higher resolution overall, good quality cabinet. Aluminium ribbon tweeter is way superior to dome tweeter in this price range!

Last edited:
OP
Erik With a K

Erik With a K

I got the MR4 too and confirm bass weakness.

But I can also confirm that it sounds super awesome with a sub. Since you are also on PC you can use Equalizer Apo with unlimited processing Power and bands.

If you just want speakers though, you wont get as low but it will be a bit less complicated. Maybe try the new Kali lp-unf if you still want small monitors. Otherwise the bigger Kalis would be what I go for.
Currently using equalizer APO which definitely helped with the 3khz dip. What sub are you currently running?

Top Bottom