• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Better speakers than 8030c?

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own a pair of 8030Cs. I had the opportunity to try out a pair of 8340 APMs for a week.
I also had a pair of 7050C subs at the time.
Without subs and all DSP options set to off I didn't think the 8340 APMs added much if anything to my enjoyment; a little more volume which I don't really need at my 1.5m listening distance in a 4m x 3m room, a small increase in low frequency power but with regard to tone I prefered the 8030C.
Plug in the subs and I was hard pressed to hear any major differences. The subs wipe out the advantage of the lower frequency response in the 8340.
Once the 8030Cs are set up properly,without any DSP applied (good stands, proper positioning, getting them level, plenty of stuff in the room, thick carpets etc).
If one is prepared to apply a little DSP to iron out the worst of the room problems then I am hard pressed to see the advantage of the more expensive 8340 given one can buy the 7050C sub and the 8030C for close to the same amount of money unless the SAM options are important to you.
I don't think there is a better option at this price point. Some find they don't like what they percieve as the genelec sound (I have no idea what that sound is) so you may find a make you prefer the out of the box sound of but with DSP you can adjust the sound to ones own preference.
If one really wants to without a sub then it's the 8x50. Even with those you are only fine with most music, you are still missing a lot with some bass heavy music and movies.

So sub is and because I like repeating myself I'll add that one should go with th 7x60 instead of 7x50. The price difference is not that much and the larger sub is, in my opinion, on another level. If one has chance to demo both I think most will come to the same conclusion in couple of minutes.

YSC

Major Contributor
If one really wants to without a sub then it's the 8x50. Even with those you are only fine with most music, you are still missing a lot with some bass heavy music and movies.

So sub is and because I like repeating myself I'll add that one should go with th 7x60 instead of 7x50. The price difference is not that much and the larger sub is, in my opinion, on another level. If one has chance to demo both I think most will come to the same conclusion in couple of minutes.
Why I have a feeling the recommendations is going to shoot through the roof for OP :facepalm:

But seriously, even at that distance, if you are not listening to bass heavy pop, a pair of 8030C would probably do it just fine, especially you don't dedicate to room treatment or have something full range to compare to, the merit of 8030C at the budget or options like the Adam T5V/T8V is that tas it got well controlled directivity and extension to 50ish hz, you can listen to it at moderately level without problem (75dbA for example), and you can always get a sub later. but for a serious suggestion, if you don't mind it don't have auto standby, and you are willing to play around a bit with a sub, I personally would recommend you to got for a pair for Adam T5V and a T10S sub, total cost should be similar to a piar of 8030C alone, with a bit of high shelf filter to tame the ~+2db treble shelf of the speaker itself with EQ APO or something similar it should be a very good speaker set going near full range in room. Or if you are using it as a HT setup, just get the -2db treble switch to tame the very top end a bit would cut the pie.

For sure going up the ladder is a better way, but I know stretching budget isn't good for everybody all the time. Get a pair of good enough ones and enjoy!

ivayvr

I was in a similar situation as OP a year or so ago. The living/dining room combined is 3.5X4.5m and my listening position is 2.5 - 3m from the speakers. I did the research and when I ordered my Genelec 8020 I was fully aware that they were not ideally suited for my intended purpose. There were various considerations influencing my decision, size, space and the cost were among them. Initially I was using them with the REL Tzero sub and they were fine like that for a few months. I sold the REL and ordered Genelec 7040 and never looked back. I am aware that most people would not even consider it a real sub (and they would consider the Tzero a joke) but again, I was basing my decision on my listening conditions. We really like the building where we live and would do anything to avoid a potential conflicts with our neighbors and since we are renting the apartment conflicts are risky! With this combination I never encountered a situation where protection circuit of the speaker would kick in, even while listening at the level that was borderline uncomfortable. Since I am not using the combination for any kind of recording or editing I am perfectly fine of not being able to listen to 100% direct sound. I will also not bother to compare my system with some of the audio legends like LS 3/5A, especially given their current cost!
About the hiss "all powered speakers have" I can say that in my listening conditions, I never herd any from the three pairs I owned. They were Adam A5X, Focal Shape 40 and the current pair.

Top Bottom