• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Youtube is running ads against my channel :(

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given that magazines have roughly a 60/40 ad/editorial ratio and most editorial is product placement anyway, I happily live with youtube as it is.
And the subscription isn't that expensive anyway.

Lambda

Major Contributor
µBlock is an essential (security) browser plugin oh and it also stops adds ;)

Most "tech" "youtubers" this days use odyssey as automatic mirror.
Enabeleing Youtube Ads on purpose and promoting "got to Odyssey for Ad free videos"

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I was browsing my youtube channel tonight and was surprised to see Youtube running ads against my videos even though I had not enabled monetization. I searched and I see that they changed their policy last year and will run ads against your content whether you like it or not. And of course they keep all the revenue.

At some level this is fine since they are providing a service for free. What I don't like is that I have no control over it, nor did I see any notification, stats, etc. In the page for monetization it clearly says I have not yet set up for such. Yet here we are.

Not wanting them to pocket all the money, I went ahead and applied for the program. Wish I could leave it unmonetized but there seems to be no way to do that. Sorry about that you all. Of course feel free to use ad-blockers.

Well, I can understand where you're coming from. And also google's move to monitize all content. I for one am not bothered that you make money with it.
Best of all is that they'll probably run all kind of audio related ads. Also the audiophile cable adds that you subsequently debunk. Looking forward to the irony ahead ;)

pma

Major Contributor
I was browsing my youtube channel tonight and was surprised to see Youtube running ads against my videos even though I had not enabled monetization. I searched and I see that they changed their policy last year and will run ads against your content whether you like it or not. And of course they keep all the revenue.

On the other hand, you are getting a free lunch and free advertisement for your site. In case you paid for it, would not it be without the adds? From a business point, it is perfectly honest. Same measures as for the technology, right? ;)

Zoomer

Vimeo is a well established platform, a haven for ad-free quality content.
The Vimeo Basic plan is free. Well-worth investigating IMHO.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Friendly plug for those wanting to do ad + tracker blocking at the whole home (i.e., router) level: Pi-Hole.
(I have no association with them, I just use their software.) It doesn't have to replace ad blockers on your browser, but it will handle everything in your home that is connected to the network. More important these days with smart (IoT) devices that are constantly phoning home to report usage. Plus it handles all of the non-browser internet traffic on your computer, which is mostly OS-level stuff. (Looking at you Microsoft ... :facepalm:) Also really interesting to review the Pi-hole admin dashboards to see what devices are doing and where they are calling back to.

It's not for the faint of heart: it requires a bit of Linux + home networking knowledge. But it's cheap (the cost of 1 Raspberry Pi) and highly effective. Once it's set up you can even use it remotely although I haven't done that myself.

EB1000

At some level this is fine since they are providing a service for free. What I don't like is that I have no control over it, nor did I see any notification, stats, etc. In the page for monetization it clearly says I have not yet set up for such. Yet here we are.

Not wanting them to pocket all the money, I went ahead and applied for the program. Wish I could leave it unmonetized but there seems to be no way to do that. Sorry about that you all. Of course feel free to use ad-blockers.

I only play youtube videos using Vivaldi browser or my Sony TV, both of which are 100% ad-free, regardless of the video channel!

I'd recommend you use Rumble, which is ad-free and censorship free.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, they changed the policy in 2021.
it was plain stupidity of them not to run adds before that though.

I’m really curious what pushed them back for so long.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir, if they want to run an ad for Polident within your videos, you should definitely be allowed to wet your beak on that. And be sure to trademark "Audio Science Review" lest Darko, or, even worse, Paul McGowan beat you to it.

Ismapics

That is actually not a bad idea. Go ahead and if there is revenue to be had, use it take it. Also, any way to liquidate any old gear laying around not in use.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Oh, the irony! Using Youtube to criticize Youtube. With very few exceptions, every web site will eventually be monetized to the maximum profit potential. They often get bought up. Advertised to the max in many cases. Later this year it will have been fifteen years since Google bought Youtube. Google was just eight years old at that time.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where would I announce it?
I would do it in the verbal introduction, but in a friendly way. "Hey, folks, just realize that YouTube will add advertising to this video. I don't control it at all." And then go on as if it's not worth dwelling on. I don't think that will sound defensive, but it will make the point.

Rick "who finds YouTube's ad interruptions so annoying that I avoid YouTube more than I used to" Denney

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given that magazines have roughly a 60/40 ad/editorial ratio and most editorial is product placement anyway, I happily live with youtube as it is.
And the subscription isn't that expensive anyway.

Yep. It's not that expensive. I have YouTube Premium, so no ads. I do use YouTube Music some to try out new music (I mostly listen to my music collection). And I don't mind paying Google a subscription as much as I use their various services. And because I screen out Google ads on websites with AdblockPlus.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I use ad blockers but they dont work for youtube. It may be my browser or something else, i dont know.
I've used AdBlockPlus for years and it just works. No YouTube ads but ~occasionally once a month or so a web site ad gets past the blocker.

Last edited:

bigguyca

Yes, they changed the policy in 2021.
it was plain stupidity of them not to run adds before that though.

I’m really curious what pushed them back after so long.

Easiest question of the day: GREED.

Top Bottom