• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha R-S202 Receiver Review

Rate this stereo receiver:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 124 38.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 143 44.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 39 12.2%

• Total voters

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Adding a subwoofer is fairly simple without such a feature, tho....either thru splitting pre-outs or using high level connections.
Not exactly sure what you mean by splitting the preouts.
The R-S202bl has no pre-outs only line out which are fixed level outputs.

If you split the pre-outs from your source before connection to the R-S202bl and subwoofer then you loose the ability to use the volume control on the R-S202

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not exactly sure what you mean by splitting the preouts.
The R-S202bl has no pre-outs only line out which are fixed level outputs.

If you split the pre-outs from your source before connection to the R-S202bl and subwoofer then you loose the ability to use the volume control on the R-S202
Just meant a reasonably equipped piece of 2ch gear would have such. These limited feature units, meh

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Fine for what it is! But gone are the days people want these giant boxes and a ton of inputs for stereo listening. You can also get refurbs for 130 (few years back I think it was sub 100)
Not sure I agree with this but it is an interesting question. Who is the average buyer for this thing, in this price and feature bracket, with 5 input devices that they want to feed with analog RCA? What in the world are the analog outs going to? It's not even a tape loop.

I suspect in real life these spend a lot of time on Bluetooth duty, and at the same time I suspect their Bluetooth implementation and codecs are ancient.

You can compare this to a WiiM, I bet for the target market's needs they'd be better off going to Craigslist and finding a much fancier AVR a few years older.

Mikig

Not sure I agree with this but it is an interesting question. Who is the average buyer for this thing, in this price and feature bracket, with 5 input devices that they want to feed with analog RCA? What in the world are the analog outs going to? It's not even a tape loop.

I suspect in real life these spend a lot of time on Bluetooth duty, and at the same time I suspect their Bluetooth implementation and codecs are ancient.

You can compare this to a WiiM, I bet for the target market's needs they'd be better off going to Craigslist and finding a much fancier AVR a few years older.
in my opinion this suits the needs of the general listener.
The one who doesn't have particular critical listening objectives, who perhaps already has speakers, a CD player, doesn't want to give up the radio, and takes a few steps with Bluetooth. The customer who doesn't want to use Apps, EQ, streamers, or even Wi-Fi.
Typically older couples, replacing a component of a system already in use, or some young people taking their first steps. as already mentioned,
I see these kind of devices with built-in radios very often in stores. These or some old AV always with radio.

zepplock

I have a similar device, unfortunately it has no short protection (sp?). I already replaced output transistors once on it, cause previous owner shorted the outputs accidentally.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What in the world are the analog outs going to? It's not even a tape loop.

Whatever source is selected goes to the analogue outs. Pretty straighforward. Of course you can use a tape recorder, an open reel, another amplifier for speakers outside or in a second room etc.

Sure, it's not a traditional tape monitor loop where you can switch between tape and source (like you would do with a three head tape deck back in the day), but who did that anyway? Headphones were usually plugged into the deck and the source/tape switch activated on the deck itself.

And for people complaining about a 'sub out', either use a sub with high level inputs (speaker) or use a high-low (speaker to RCA) adaptor for a few dollars.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not sure I agree with this but it is an interesting question. Who is the average buyer for this thing, in this price and feature bracket, with 5 input devices that they want to feed with analog RCA?
There are nearly 5000 reviews on Amazon. Assuming only 10% leave reviews, Amazon alone has sold 50,000!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
AVRs are a lot more intimidating to use. You almost have to connect them to a display which many people don't want to do in other rooms in the house, businesses, etc.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
There are nearly 5000 reviews on Amazon. Assuming only 10% leave reviews, Amazon alone has sold 50,000!

Kinda makes you feel sorry for Topping. They sell their RA3 amplifier direct on Aliexpress and have sold all of 14 in the 8 months since you reviewed it...

1709086049830.png

Your review sample will be a collectors item at this rate.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Whatever source is selected goes to the analogue outs. Pretty straighforward. Of course you can use a tape recorder, an open reel, another amplifier for speakers outside or in a second room etc.

Sure, it's not a traditional tape monitor loop where you can switch between tape and source (like you would do with a three head tape deck back in the day), but who did that anyway? Headphones were usually plugged into the deck and the source/tape switch activated on the deck itself.

An actual tape loop would let you throw in an old-school graphic EQ or DSP with room compensation, among other things.

It's been available since (and there are reviews dating back to) 2016, when I'd say there was considerably less low-end competition, at least from the Chi-fi market. Still, if you want a trusted name on a new-in-box to play music in an office / store / classroom / garage etc this certainly looks nicer than a Pyle.

I'd still buy an older Yamaha AVR over this. You only need to hook up a TV if you want to get into the fancy stuff this box can't do anyway.

(Amusingly I looked back and apparently in 2016 I wanted a 2-channel amp in this price range and somehow the sensible option was rebuilding an Audiosource Amp 100.)

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kinda makes you feel sorry for Topping. They sell their RA3 amplifier direct on Aliexpress and have sold all of 14 in the 8 months since you reviewed it...

View attachment 352822

Your review sample will be a collectors item at this rate.
With better marketing (ie, better than the zero marketing they engage in) and an Amazon storefront, Topping would have sold a lot more. However, they are never going to be able to compete with Yamaha.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Voted not terrible, saved from poor by the feature set and price.

Still, I prefer the Sony 2-channel receiver at this price point.

Topping PA5 II smokes both of them for around the same price, although with a much smaller feature set.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review.
Interesting device.
That's plenty of power for the price !

In Europe, I see the R-S202D (the same but with with DAB tuner instead of AM, if I'm not mistaken) around 300€.

EDIT: The above price is for France.
I now see it's quite cheaper in other european countries.
Around 230€-240€.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ta240

Major Contributor
I love the comments about how this is bad because a WiiM Amp or an Aiyima or a Topping are so much better; when they don't have tuners, don't have 4 inputs, don't have A and B speaker outputs. Just because they would work for you doesn't make them a comparable product; features cost money.
And don't even get me started on warranty coverage; or the fact that it is being assumed by those same people that they could even hear a difference.
Anyone that claims they'd prefer the sound of a Topping to this has to accept it when anyone says they prefer the sound of a class A amp over class D from now on.

Kevin1956

My daughter has used, and continues to use, one of these in various systems for about 6 years. Everything has always worked as it should, with more than adequate power and no audible distortions or noise. Tuner performance has been more than acceptable with the simple factory included antennas. She is no audiophile, but appreciates good sound, and listens to this unit almost daily. Simple to use, and so far, bullet proof reliability. I would recommend it to anyone whose needs could be satisfied by its feature set.

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
With better marketing (ie, better than the zero marketing they engage in) and an Amazon storefront, Topping would have sold a lot more. However, they are never going to be able to compete with Yamaha.
You don't consider sending them to this site and to loads of youtube 'influencers' marketing? Topping rides the waves of a continual flow of products of the moment being pushed from every direction online. And when people say "Hey, my Topping such and such failed, the fanboys go "Yeah but that was the old one, this is the new one".

Imagine if Yamaha told every customer that had a problem to send it back to China for repair, they could worry less about reliability and warranty costs.

Top Bottom