• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you NOT purchased as a result of ASR?

holbob

A class a/b amp - I was determined to go for a cooler, more efficient amplifier. I can't afford the benchmark!

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After 17 years my NAD C370 was starting having problems like upcoming failure speaker protection circuit so i was planning to buy a well tested Class D amp on ASR but than i saw on ASR it is quite simpel an fore most quite cheap solution to repear an upgrade a NAD 2200 such that it works as new for maney years again.So i did ;)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am avoiding now multichannel AV processors with XLRs outs until a good measuring one shows up...

Judas

i guess misinfiormation does matter.

buz

Forum Donor
Focal Clear

Of course I got the more pricy hd800s instead so probably can't claim to have saved money.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've not purchased any dacs or audio-only streamers since coming here. I view these as commodities after spending more than a year reading the site. If I do get a dac it'll be because I need a conversion due to a lack of digital connection in a device, not because I think it will sound better.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not so much avoiding purchasing for myself. But I help out a lot with recommendations for audio over at reddit. Based on the measurements of the iFi Zen DAC, it seems to get very overhyped. And so I have been cautious about recommending their products.

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Pretty much gave up on the thought that my next headphone purchase would be dt1990, it was supposed to be my endgame headphone but turns out I don't know shit about what sounds good (or what something is supposed to sound like) waiting for it to be reviewed here (not holding my breath) and thinking of alternatives. Aeon RT sounds tempting, but perhaps I'll get another cheap headphone that sounds good for a change, and shop for endgame sometime in the future.(almost ordered akg k371 already).

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if I mentioned, but I had actually purchased an ISO Regen before I happened on ASR. Admittedly I bought it with skepticism and a "just in case" basis. But the ASR review of the Regen convinced me I had no reason to put it in my system. It's sitting around and I have to remember to sell the thing.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think ASR has kept me from buying anything, but it certainly has informed my expectations when I do buy something.

Example: I just recently ordered a refurbished Naim CD5 CD player. ASR didn't prevent me from buying that, although I daresay some on ASR would have tried to dissuade me had I asked. But ASR did reinforce what I already believed: I won't hear any difference, past poetic reviews notwithstanding. I bought it because I wanted one that used a quality CD transport that didn't depend on plastic gears and belts that turn to goo.

Rick "who has bought a couple of things because of ASR--mostly recently an E30 DAC and AKG K371 headphones" Denney

ZinMe

I steered away from AVRs from NAD, Arcam and Marantz, and bought Denon mostly due to ASR reviews

ctakim

Forum Donor
Was seriously considering the Anthem AVM 70, but the review of the AVM 60 has given me pause. Plus all the headaches in the AVSForum owner thread. But ASR review by Amir was the bigger factor. Not sure what to do about an upgrade to my Home Theater Processor for now.

snapcrackle

Sounds like you need a DSP...

JSmith

I've just purchased (used but immaculate) an Audio Note 0.1x DAC - I'm so impressed with this little box! I certainly won't be buying based on measurements alone if DACs can sound this good (assuming it does not measure well housing and old Philips chip). Something beyond the understanding of science is going on here!

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've just purchased (used but immaculate) an Audio Note 0.1x DAC - I'm so impressed with this little box! I certainly won't be buying based on measurements alone if DACs can sound this good (assuming it does not measure well housing and old Philips chip). Something beyond the understanding of science is going on here!

Why would you say there's something beyond science here?

Just because a DAC doesn't measure super accurate, that doesn't mean you can't like the sound. It just means it's not accurate.

That being said, if you're comparing it to some other DAC you own and doing sighted comparisons, then perceptual biases may easily be influencing what you hear.

Top Bottom