• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why are you still buying expensive premium gears when cheap stuff does the same

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is like asking why people buy a Porsche (or any luxury auto brand) while a KIA (or any cheap auto brand) does just the same.
not really the same since the Porsche has demonstrably better performance.

The question here is why pay more for the same performance?

As an aside I was contacted by a company wanting to rent 6 BMW 4x4s, they had ordered some direct but the lead time was months.

I didn't have any BMWs but did have six KIA 4x4s that were brand new. They were very reluctant but I eventually talked them into it on the grounds it was only temporary.

Two weeks later they contacted me to say their people loved the KIAs, they would be keeping them, and they had cancelled the BMW order. All is not always as it appears!

MCH

Major Contributor
To answer your question directly, I am not.

My desktop 5.1 setup consists of inexpensive but well behaved BMR speakers, a free subwoofer and a $65 six-channel class D amplifier attached to my motherboard's onboard S1220A multichannel (2Vrms) outputs. Crossovers and AudioLense correction are robustly implemented via EQ APO. It tracks the in-room target perfectly, reaches my desired SPLs, exhibits no audible noise floor and spending more on a nearfield solution (in this extremely dead room) would serve no purpose for me.

I have spent the last couple of years attempting to make use of existing research in a manner which allows me to spend as little money as possible without sacrificing audible performance.
Love it!
The problem is when you want to do all that without a computer

OP
F

FINFET

Forum Donor
It is like asking why people buy a Porsche (or any luxury auto brand) while a KIA (or any cheap auto brand) does just the same.

Like Mart stated, they didn't perform the same. Even if they did in speed, you might find your driving more comfortable or more safe, so it's still different. But boxes in audio playback systems just accept wires and generate signals, so most of them are literally the same to human ears. The Rolex or Louis Vuitton analogy might be closer, but I doubt if people actually consider high-priced audio gear the same as luxury. As far as I know, people are still seeking the best "sound" or the performance aspect, instead of what a brand can bring to them, socially or psychologically.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Rolex or Louis Vuitton analogy might be closer, but I doubt if people actually consider high-priced audio gear the same as luxury.
I'm sure people consider high end audio equipment luxury but what they are not is a widely accepted status symbol. One problem with watches safest status symbols, like cars, is that unfortunately only fellow hobbyists know what they are looking at. Then again, just by "accidentally" slipping out you are carrying a 10k€ watch on your wrist will give you attention.

How things stand, having 10k€ speakers does not have the same effect at all. I'm sure this is something hifi manufacturers would like to change but haven't been able to do it. :)

Sokel

Master Contributor
One thing to consider is that hi-end stuff usually comes with top of the notch after sale support and sometimes pre-sale support if you're a dedicated client.
(most of the hi end clients want to listen to gear in their own rooms)

I know that for a fact,some have their dealers on speed dial and they respond instantly 24/7.
That has to have a cost.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure people consider high end audio equipment luxury but what they are not is a widely accepted status symbol. One problem with watches safest status symbols, like cars, is that unfortunately only fellow hobbyists know what they are looking at. Then again, just by "accidentally" slipping out you are carrying a 10k€ watch on your wrist will give you attention.

How things stand, having 10k€ speakers does not have the same effect at all. I'm sure this is something hifi manufacturers would like to change but haven't been able to do it. :)
Luxury and status symbol is not one of the same. And vintage Mercedes from the 40's has zero luxury but lots of status symbol. A Hyundai Genesis has a lot of luxury and no status symbol.

And some people enjoy luxury without the care of what others think, nor the attention, it called self indulgence and gluttony. In fact, self indulgence and gluttony is best enjoyed without prying eyes.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Luxury and status symbol is not one of the same. And vintage Mercedes from the 40's has zero luxury but lots of status symbol. A Hyundai Genesis has a lot of luxury and no status symbol.

And some people enjoy luxury without the care of what others think, nor the attention, it called self indulgence and gluttony. In fact, self indulgence and gluttony is best enjoyed without prying eyes.
This is up to the definition of "luxury". Maybe I wouldn't define anything that has a cost that is somewhat closely matched to the functional value as luxury.

I'm not a car person myself but that Huyndai seems to bring good value for money and seems to be in same class as upper (highest decile) middle class favourites like BMW 7 or Mercedes-Benz S. Segment that is expensive but can still (barly) be defended from performance viewpoint.

From completely different product segment I would classify the Prime bottled water as "luxury" as it is barely more effective than tap water but costs 10€ a bottle.

OP
F

FINFET

Forum Donor

Yes that's something manufacturers are trying but seem failed. The most effective way high-end manufacturers promote their products is still by emphasizing they have better sound which equals performance, rather than a more premium brand, materials, or methods of production. Even some crazy believers in hi-fi are seeking products that "sound better," not something only adorned with a symbol or made out of diamonds. The history of competing based on their sound signiture is just too long, which is actually preventing this change from happening.

Manufacturers want people to buy their products not because they sound better, just like people buy Rolex not because they are more accurate in telling time, but because of the prestige associated with them. However, brands still have to promote their products by claiming they "sound better." If this continues, the shift towards marketing the symbolism of the product may never happen in this industry.

boxerfan88

Yeah, exactly. Functional watch vs. Luxury watch.

Both do tell time accurately.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing to consider is that hi-end stuff usually comes with top of the notch after sale support and sometimes pre-sale support if you're a dedicated client.
(most of the hi end clients want to listen to gear in their own rooms)

That was typically the case with the local franchised dealer sales model. Today, unless living in a large metro area, consumers probably won't find a local dealer selling what they want to buy. And they'll likely get just as good a 'long distance' service from an outfit like Crutchfield, on an entry level Yamaha receiver, as would be the case from a local McIntosh retailer.

What you won't get is a loaner if something goes bad, and a dealer to hold your hand and ramrod your repair ticket for you. Also, back in the day most hifi retailers supported in-house service techs for repairs. Is that still the case? Long distance warranty work is always going to be a hassle. Especially if you are dealing with an outfit on the other side of the world, speaking a language you may or may not understand-- this is true whether it's a lower priced 'value' item from an operation like Topping, or a 'grey market' Accuphase from AudioCubes Japan.

Another sometimes dealer 'service' was a generous trade-in policy, plus the availability of decent quality and interesting used gear, if that was what you were looking for.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like to toss cash off of bridges.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I like to toss cash off of bridges.
Pretty sure with that admission someone will be along soon to sell you your very own bridge to throw the money from!

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Yeah, exactly. Functional watch vs. Luxury watch.

Both do tell time accurately.
I got fed up after the fifth cheap quartz watch that failed after the first battery change. These days I mostly use my phone for the time.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I got fed up after the fifth cheap quartz watch that failed after the first battery change. These days I mostly use my phone for the time.
It sounds like you liked (for whatever reason; even its novelty) wearing one.
Unfortunately, it also sounds like poor purchase choices you made:
For 'argument's sake', 5 cheap quartz watches at ~$50/each ==> ~$250 (ignoring cost of battery replacements, if any).
That $250 wasted could have been better spent by purchasing a 'reasonably' priced automatic watch that you may have still enjoyed wearing, to this day.
just sayin'!;)

Pancreas

same reason why people buy mercedes and bmws when a camry does the same lmao

Galliardist

Major Contributor
It sounds like you liked (for whatever reason; even its novelty) wearing one.
Unfortunately, it also sounds like poor purchase choices you made:
For 'argument's sake', 5 cheap quartz watches at ~$50/each ==> ~$250 (ignoring cost of battery replacements, if any).
That $250 wasted could have been better spent by purchasing a 'reasonably' priced automatic watch that you may have still enjoyed wearing, to this day.
just sayin'!;)
That was what I did… then when it started running slow, I took it in for service and discovered that the cost of service was almost as much as replacing that as well :(
I should have bought a more expensive model, the service charge wouldn’t have seemed so bad.

Three of the quartz watches were gifts, as far as I’m aware none of them cost anything like $50.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since I got audio/video equipment I am only bying an AVR with all channels pre-out and room correction.
Alas the prices went up a lot with the last generation.
A DAC alone is of no use for me.

CarbonMakerU

Forum Donor
The very idea of "expensive" is completely dependent on each individuals disposable income. Is $5k a lot of money, or this weeks lunch tab at the club?

Klonatans

Forum Donor
If a Topping amp has a 50 % failure rate, buying it is a kind of a lottery even if it does the same (for a while).

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
funnily enough there's people even here who have the opinion that things like this should be evaluated regardless of cost

a bad speaker is bad whether its $100 or $10,0000

while some of us who live in the real world can justify how an amp maybe be questionable at $600 but if Harman is closing it out at $150 then you can overlook some of the less good qualities ias long as you know this going in

I do agree that we buy stuff for different reasons.

I can only speak for myself in that we buy things because they do "THIS" well.... ie. they give us an 'experience'.

To me I have a lot of respect for the Fosi V3.

But by the same token I'm quite blown away by Erin's MC462.

Top Bottom