• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who has an AP and willing to do measurements for other ASR members, raise your hand

Sokel

Master Contributor
I am not an analog guy and my knowledge of digital circuitry is outdated by over 20 years. So yeah, it's going to be a learning curve, but there are so much resources on the internet nowadays (and people who's done it before are willing to help, like here on ASR), so I am not too too concern about learning. I am more concern how much time it will take, time is everyone's limitation.

Now if I get everything down with the QA403, I plan to post a step-by-step guide here, so that others who are also interested, can just go to one place to get started.

I use tire pressure for a simple comparison. How about upgrading the suspension of your Jeep for off-roading?
The luckiest I've ever been here on ASR is when I discovered the Multitone Analyzer's thread and the people (specially the author) there.

I still consider myself newbie (and that's the truth) but the things I learned through the process and the way these things translated to my own rig (you can almost see the progression in that thread where I have end-to-end measurements sometimes) are valuable.

Measuring line level stuff is not difficult,Multitone even has automated lots of them,measuring amps on the other hand takes study and care.
I can measure power amps (just not mine as there outputs must never tie to earth and that's not trivial) but most importantly is that through this procces I learned how to read stuff and what matters most (to me) about them.

Best thing about it?It's fun!
I'm in eternal gratitude to the people who helped me there,I was literally blind before that.We all read about amazing devices measuring down to the abyss,but hook them to a system and their performance can be so degraded by conditions or the promised performance is just not there,either by bad QC or by the company's VERY specific conditions (read: lab grade isolation) producing these specs,or,or,or...

Happy measuring!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are people who need color coded cables for the cables on their computer or AVR, and then there are those with basic knowledge.
Don't you - first - have to learn the color code?
Oh, here! Lemme give you the cleansed 21st Century version first:
Black Bears Raid Our Yellow Green Bins Violently Grabbing Whatever Goodies Smell Nice
The way we had learned it in the 1970s was much more in your face:
Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly
:eek:

Last edited:
OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I returned my QuantAsylum very shortly after I got it because the 404 was in the works, which is about 1 or 2 dB better.

While I'm waiting for the 404 to be released, I needed a ADC to do my room measuring (I order the Neumann MA1, a class 1 measurement mic for my Neumann KH 120, so I might as well use it to measure my room, two birds one stone), so I decided to get the Cosmos grade A (Grade 0 was not in stock and SNR of 125-126db(A) is sufficient).

Now since I have the Cosmos, I might as well use the Cosmos instead of waiting for the QuantAsylum 404.

I came across this website: https://www.openaudiolab.com/measuring-amps/
super helpful.

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi All,

I am trying to put together a master thread on a one-stop-shop, step-by-step, crowd sourced instructions on using the Cosmos ADC to do measurements here:

Any contributions are welcome and appreciated, TIA.

Top Bottom