• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FAQ Questions on Audio/ASR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm just trying to think of myself when I was a noob to all this. I remember when I first came across EQ I didn't know if it was important or not what order I put the parametric filters - answer is the order doesn't matter, you know when you input them into Peace or whatever. And with headphone amps, if they get loud enough then they're not underpowered, related to the myth that often goes round that you need a headphone amp with a lot of power to bring out the best in most headphones. Maybe an FAQ related to "how DACS sound" - as in they don't sound like anything, if they measure well then they're transparent and don't add or take away anything from the recording. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. I mean there's a lot more to understanding audio, but in the form of simple FAQ's can't think of anymore right now.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Top 50 Audiophile Questions:

Google Gemini:
Equipment:
  1. Speakers:
    • Bookshelf vs. floor-standing: Which is right for my room and listening habits?
    • Sensitivity and impedance: How do they affect power requirements and sound characteristics?
    • Material choices for drivers and cabinets: Impact on sound signature and durability?
    • Bi-wiring and bi-amping: Worth the effort, or marketing gimmick?
    • Active vs. passive speakers: Convenience vs. control and upgradeability?
  2. Sources:
    • Turntables: Belt-drive vs. direct-drive, cartridge selection and alignment for optimal tracking?
    • Streaming services: Lossless vs. compressed formats, bit depth and sample rate impact?
    • CD players: DAC quality and upsampling options, transport mechanisms and jitter control?
    • Network Audio Players (NAS): Storage solutions, music server software, and audiophile-grade options?
  3. Electronics:
    • Integrated amplifiers vs. separates (preamp and power amp): What are the pros and cons?
    • Class A/B vs. Class D amplification: Sound characteristics and efficiency trade-offs?
    • Headphone amps: Discrete vs. op-amp based designs, impact on driving different headphones?
    • Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs): Chip architecture, filtering options, and oversampling?
    • Power conditioners and surge protectors: Do they offer tangible sound quality benefits?
  4. Cables and Interconnects:
    • Speaker cables: Gauge, material, shielding, and impact on sound signature?
    • Interconnects: RCA vs. XLR, balanced vs. unbalanced connections, and sonic differences?
    • Power cables: Does spending more equate to better sound, or is it snake oil?
    • Wireless connections for speakers and components: Can they match the quality of wired setups?
Sound Quality:
  1. Digital vs. Analog: Inherent characteristics, recording formats, and perceived fidelity differences?
  2. Lossless vs. Compressed Audio: Can our ears discern the difference in quality at different bitrates?
  3. Warm vs. Bright Sound Signatures: Preferred listening profiles, genre suitability, and achieving tonal balance?
  4. Soundstage and Imaging: Techniques for creating a wider, deeper, and more realistic soundstage?
  5. Listening Fatigue: Causes, managing listening habits, and equipment factors that influence fatigue?
  6. Room Acoustics: Treating acoustic issues like reflections, standing waves, and bass resonances?
  7. Speaker Placement: Optimal positioning for imaging, soundstage, and bass response?
  8. System Synergism: Matching components for sonic compatibility and creating a cohesive sound?
  9. Speaker Break-in: Does it have a scientific basis, and how to safely break in new speakers?
  10. Subwoofer Integration: Seamless blending with main speakers, crossover settings, and placement for optimal bass response?
Audiophile Debates:
  1. Audiophilia: Snobbery or genuine pursuit of better sound?
  2. Digital vs. Analog: Is the debate settled, or still relevant?
  3. Cables: Do expensive cables matter, or is it a psychological effect?
  4. Streaming vs. Physical Media: Is convenience outweighing audio quality?
  5. High-Resolution Audio: Are the benefits worth the premium cost?
  6. Vinyl Resurgence: Nostalgia or rediscovering sonic advantages?
  7. Room Correction Software: Digital manipulation or a tool for better acoustics?
Advanced Audiophile Topics:
  1. Multi-channel audio formats like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X: Enhancing immersion or unnecessary complexity?
  2. Headphone amplifiers: Discrete vs. balanced designs, impact on driving different headphones?
  3. Balanced vs. unbalanced connections: Advantages and disadvantages in different scenarios?
  4. Digital Signal Processing (DSP): Room correction, parametric EQ, and their impact on sound signature?
  5. Tube amplifiers: Warmth and musicality vs. solid-state clarity and power?
  6. Open vs. closed-back headphones: Sound leakage, isolation, and impact on listening experience?
  7. Electrostatic headphones: Unmatched detail and transparency, but demanding amplification?
  8. Multi-room audio systems: Balancing convenience with audiophile sound quality?
  9. DIY audio building: Challenges, rewards, and achieving personalized sound?
  10. Audiophile measurements: Understanding their limitations and real-world application?
Personalization and Exploration:
  1. Starting your audiophile journey: Budget-friendly options and getting the most value?
  2. Finding your personal sound preference: Experimenting with different components and genres?

Microsoft Copilot:
I can try to generate some questions that an audiophile might ask or be interested in. Here are some examples:

- What are the best headphones for listening to classical music?
- How can I improve the sound quality of my vinyl records?
- What is the difference between a DAC and an amp?
- How do I choose the right speakers for my room size and acoustics?
- What are some of the benefits and drawbacks of wireless audio devices?
- How do I calibrate my home theater system for optimal surround sound?
- What are some of the best audio streaming services and formats?
- How do I clean and maintain my earbuds and headphones?
- What are some of the most common audio myths and misconceptions?
- How do I measure and compare the frequency response, impedance, sensitivity, and distortion of different audio equipment?
- What are some of the best audio magazines, podcasts, blogs, and forums for audiophiles?
- How do I protect my hearing from loud noises and prevent hearing loss?
- What are some of the best audio accessories and gadgets for audiophiles?
- How do I balance the bass, treble, and midrange of my audio system?
- What are some of the best audio brands and manufacturers for audiophiles?
- How do I set up a multi-room audio system in my house?
- What are some of the best audio software and apps for audiophiles?
- How do I record and edit my own music and podcasts?
- What are some of the best audio books and podcasts for audiophiles?
- How do I troubleshoot and fix common audio problems and issues?
- What are some of the best audio genres and artists for audiophiles?
- How do I convert and transfer my audio files between different devices and formats?
- What are some of the best audio headphones and speakers for gaming?
- How do I optimize the battery life and performance of my wireless audio devices?
- What are some of the best audio headphones and speakers for traveling?
- How do I test and review audio equipment and products?
- What are some of the best audio headphones and speakers for working out?
- How do I connect and pair my audio devices with different sources and platforms?
- What are some of the best audio headphones and speakers for sleeping and relaxing?
- How do I customize and personalize my audio system and preferences?
- What are some of the best audio headphones and speakers for watching movies and shows?
- How do I upgrade and replace my audio equipment and components?
- What are some of the best audio headphones and speakers for kids and teens?
- How do I mix and match different audio equipment and products?
- What are some of the best audio headphones and speakers for studying and learning?
- How do I store and organize my audio equipment and products?
- What are some of the best audio headphones and speakers for phone calls and video chats?
- How do I use and adjust the equalizer and other audio settings and features?
- What are some of the best audio headphones and speakers for meditation and yoga?
- How do I find and discover new music and podcasts for audiophiles?
- What are some of the best audio headphones and speakers for outdoor and adventure activities?
- How do I share and recommend my audio equipment and products with others?
- What are some of the best audio headphones and speakers for parties and events?
- How do I learn and improve my audio knowledge and skills?
- What are some of the best audio headphones and speakers for pets and animals?
- How do I budget and save money on audio equipment and products?
- What are some of the best audio headphones and speakers for different moods and occasions?
- How do I cope and deal with audio fatigue and boredom?
- What are some of the best audio headphones and speakers for different seasons and weather conditions?
- How do I join and participate in audio communities and groups for audiophiles?.

OpenAI ChatGPT 3.5:
Sure, here are some top audiophile questions:

1. What is the best headphone amplifier for high-end headphones?
2. How does digital-to-analog conversion affect sound quality?
3. What are the differences between open-back and closed-back headphones?
4. Can wireless headphones provide audiophile-grade sound?
5. What is the significance of impedance in headphones?
6. How does the choice of DAC impact audio quality?
7. What are some reputable brands for audiophile-grade headphones?
8. What is the role of DACs in audio setups?
9. What are the best budget audiophile headphones?
10. Is it worth investing in high-resolution audio formats?
11. How do tube amplifiers compare to solid-state amplifiers in terms of sound quality?
12. What are some key features to look for in a high-quality DAC?
13. Can DACs improve the sound quality of streaming music?
14. What are some audiophile-grade in-ear monitors (IEMs)?
15. How does impedance matching affect headphone performance?
16. What role do cables play in an audiophile setup?
17. What are some essential accessories for headphone enthusiasts?
18. How do planar magnetic headphones differ from dynamic driver headphones?
19. Is vinyl truly superior to digital audio in terms of sound quality?
20. What are the benefits of using balanced audio connections?
21. How does room acoustics affect audio quality?
22. What are some audiophile-approved streaming services?
23. Can portable DACs provide high-quality audio on the go?
24. How does headphone impedance affect power requirements?
25. What are the best audiophile-grade speakers for a home setup?
26. How do electrostatic headphones compare to other types of headphones?
27. Is there a noticeable difference between lossless and compressed audio formats?
28. How does headphone sensitivity impact sound quality?
29. What are the best headphones for critical listening?
30. How does the choice of amplifier affect headphone sound signature?
31. What are the best audiophile-grade turntables for vinyl enthusiasts?
32. How do digital audio players (DAPs) compare to smartphones for audio playback?
33. What are some audiophile-approved Bluetooth codecs?
34. How does digital audio upscaling work, and does it improve sound quality?
35. What are the pros and cons of using active vs. passive speakers?
36. How does the source material impact perceived audio quality?
37. Can high-quality audio cables make a difference in sound quality?
38. What are some audiophile-approved headphone mods?
39. How does headphone driver size affect sound quality?
40. What is the best way to clean and maintain audiophile-grade equipment?
41. How do audio codecs like FLAC and ALAC compare in terms of quality and compatibility?
42. What are some common misconceptions about audiophile equipment?
43. How does amplifier damping factor affect speaker performance?
44. What are some audiophile-grade DAC/amp combos?
45. How does amplifier output impedance affect headphone performance?
46. What are the best audiophile headphones for gaming?
47. How does jitter affect digital audio playback?
48. What are some audiophile-approved equalization techniques?
49. Can audiophile-grade equipment make a difference in casual listening?
50. How does audio mastering impact the final listening experience?

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I find the look of Wikis to be uninviting and cold. They would also look very different than the rest of the forum. But yes, I will think about it. :)
My thinking, like that of some others, is that a wiki is the best and quickest way of getting the content done. Having done that, it can then be used as source material for whatever you want the end result to be.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
The hardest thing about the ASR forum is to find answers. There is 1000x the information required to satisfy any audio curiosity. Even after finding the correct thread means pages and pages of reading. I’ve often wondered if the initial thread creator could keep editing the initial post with info as the thread progresses. A wiki does seem a very good way to display all the incredible knowledge here.
Example: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fidelity>

Svend P

I suggest making it for dummies to begin with. The wiki you link to simply has to much to read. I get the impression that most of new members don't read much before they write. They are just not that invested.

It could start with the conclusion:
- Is vinyl better that CD?
Short answer:
No
Long answer:

Multicore

Major Contributor
So I asked ChatGPT 'What are the 10 most frequently asked questions on audiosciencereview.com?':
Good idea. The first two are reviews, not FAQs, but the other 3 thru 10 are pretty good.

But I wonder how this can actually work in practice, regardless of formatting. So many questions involve relating objective information in the scientific domain to subjective experience in the human domain. The questions may be good but the answers are complex, philosophical and debatable. I think the best way to address such questions is discussion.

Some questions, like what are dBFS and dB SPL, can be answered as in a text book. Others, like why I can trust my ears to evaluate a piano recital and the position of mics used in its recording, but not to evaluate the loudspeakers its playback, are eternal and are better addressed by a Platonic dialogue. For example, in the recent discussion on Hi-Def it became clear that different people want it or not, and if they do, their reasons can be quite personal, some have strong feelings and others don't. This doesn't surprise me since we are attempting to use the world of science and engineering to improve poetry and our pleasure in it. That's no easy task.

So perhaps the Wiki, FAQ, Q&A, glossary, grimoire needs to learn how to diplomatically summarize a question's range of discussion and point to the relevant threads where we hash it out.

afinepoint

Forum Donor
The hardest thing about the ASR forum is to find answers. There is 1000x the information required to satisfy any audio curiosity. Even after finding the correct thread means pages and pages of reading. I’ve often wondered if the initial thread creator could keep editing the initial post with info as the thread progresses. A wiki does seem a very good way to display all the incredible knowledge here.
I understand what some are getting at. If people will just briefly answer the questions and cite an authority or a solid reason for the answer that would be great. Too often things dissolve into debate, argument and frayed civility. The OP's question is lost or trampled. Now one has to mine through the responses to gain understanding.

The FAQ response should mirror the depth of the question. Keep it a gas-n-go when possible. I'm talking to myself as well.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Perhaps the FAQ should be divided into different parts. For example as follows: DAC, Amplifiers, streamers, speakers, headphones. Or you make a filing according to the pattern: AD conversion, amplification, acoustics, psychoacoustics or similar subject areas. I don’t know, but I think that a faq needs to be quite comprehensive or it risks being so basic that it becomes quite uninteresting. You have to think through who the target group is with a faq.

Nicolas

Forum Donor
Hi @amirm,

I'd be interested to know a bit more about your intentions/ambitions for this FAQ, if only to limit my answers to what is appropriate in this thread.

In my experience a FAQ is adequate for a limited number of rather narrow questions that can be answered relatively briefly (or perhaps with links to detailed answers), but not to compile or explore a body of knowledge.
It seems to me that the sheer number and nature of suggestions in this thread mostly fit the second use case.

My sentiment is that a FAQ about ASR would certainly be both useful and realist in scale, but general audio questions much less so unless the scope is very limited.
For that I think we are in knowledge base territory (which I would find extremely useful by the way, and a worthy mission for ASR to have).

I suspect you're already well aware of this, so what do you have in mind ? Listing the 10, 20 or 50 most common questions about audio ?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I think we have adequate material to start a comprehensive FAQ document. I am locking this thread before it grows into Godzilla’s Child and eats us. We can add more later but for now this is one hell of a great start. Thank for all the great suggestions and advice.

To be continued……

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In my experience a FAQ is adequate for a limited number of rather narrow questions that can be answered relatively briefly (or perhaps with links to detailed answers), but not to compile or explore a body of knowledge.
Agreed. it was nice to see the scope of questions people want to cover but my intent was really the low hanging fruit that takes very brief answers. We will certainly start there and see what makes sense to do beyond that.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom