• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

What items have you NOT purchased as a result of ASR?

balletboy

Probably has a rather high resale value by emphasizing the exclusivity etc..
When I read listings for "rare" audio items for sale, I assume they were either not very good and no one bought them, or they were overpriced and no one bought them.

My turntable is very good and underpriced, but turntables are really dependent on brand value. I'm stuck with it and I really don't mind.

Didn’t buy used Modi 2 -> bought new Modi 3 instead

Didn’t buy used Chord Qutest or Bryston BDA-2 -> getting new Topping D90 instead

Would have bought Revel M16 instead of KEF LS50, but that ship had sailed already and I was happy enough with KEFs to not sell them.
Almost exactly the same, with the exception of the speakers. I'm still researching speakers.

I'm just saying there's various points of view - but you need to try all options.
This is a really interesting perspective, I think.

I, and I would guess most of the ASR members, value objective facts. Measurements are how we observe those objective facts, thus the emphasis on products that measure well.

Enjoyment, however is a subjective thing. If you enjoy something that measures poorly... good for you. You found something that you like.

Where I take exception - and I'm not saying that snapcrackle is suggesting this - is when a subjective claim is made about the superiority of a product that objectively measures poorly. I'm not going to argue with someone who like objectively poorer performing products. That's their prerogative. They aren't even wrong when they say something that is measurably better is "missing something". It is missing something - distortion, colored frequency response curves, etc.

I believe a better strategy is to buy something that measures well and then tweak it to meet your listening preferences, but if you enjoy hunting through the quasi-magical ecology of audiophile products... have at it.

Angsty

Forum Donor
What‘s wrong with boutique brands? Most brands start as “boutique”. AHB started in a garage in Dallas.
I agree - some “boutiques” take special care with designing and building great products. I have items from VPI, Thiel and Sutherland that I don’t plan to part with. If critics think of “boutiques” as “small businesses”, perhaps they are more palatable.

Last edited:
Nothing.... I like to try anything and everything as long as I can afford it. I love to try out new things, DIY them. Test if it makes a difference to my ears. The fun is in the process rather than end results. If I can't tell a difference, then its just BS stuff to me. Even all the testing (articles, graph etc... and specs etc....) won't convince me.

The HD660s, but mainly because in headphones I just want something that i) fits great (on my head) ii) sounds great (to my ears). But ASR as been of great help when deciding on a amp/dac. The objective facts are much more relevant to me in this category. If it wasn't for ASR I would have spend much more on stuff I do not need and/or wouldn't be very suitable for my situation, so I do value the forum very much.

The HD660s, but mainly because in headphones I just want something that i) fits great (on my head) ii) sounds great (to my ears).

But ASR as been of great help when deciding on a amp/dac. The objective facts are much more relevant to me in this category. If it wasn't for ASR I would have spend much more on stuff I do not need and/or wouldn't be very suitable for my situation, so I do value the forum very much.

Nord Three SE 1ET400A MKII Dual Mono Stereo Amp - This is a quality amp and expect it would perform fabulously. However, I went with a pair of March P421 Mono-Blocks. I appreciate March's input and participation here. I also felt March's amps were put together a bit more cleanly with more attention to detail. I doubt this will make a difference in what I hear, but it makes a difference in how I feel.

Killingbeans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I joined in 2018 I was dreaming about making a full setup with (semi) DIY components. DAC would either be Twisted Pear Audio Buffalo-III or Soekris dam1021. I was sort of buying into the idea of R2R, but couldn't find evidence of the secret sauce everybody was talking about. ASR helped me realize that the sauce was just hot air.

I have now ditched the DIY plans. The things I have learned from this site has made it clear to me that a nearfield setup with some well-engineered active monitors and an unassuming desktop DAC will suit my needs much better. Still haven't bought anything though :D

as a result of what i purchased due to ASR, here’s a short list of what i did not purchase:

1. KEF LS50, saved a lot of moolah on this much hyped speaker.
2. boutique or name branded DAC. saved even more moolah on this.
3. upgrading my modest yamaha 5ch AVR. after learning and validating my suspicions on how hideous audio performance on gazillion channel multi-feature set AVRs i finally drew the line on this piece of hardware! you buy far too much of which you only use too less! need not say how much moolah saved on this.
4. popular branded hifi preamp, DAC, cd transport, network streamer all in one box. this one is a real huge money saver! potentially a jungle of noise with all the analog and digital sections in coexistence. since i am mostly a spotify junky at best, i finally settled for laptop source, SMSL sanskrit 10th gen mkII DAC, basic analog marantz integrated amp for dedicated 2ch stereo.

cheers to all that savings!

Last edited:

Helicopter

Forum Donor
Klipsch Reference Premier speakers
Schiit Multibit DACs
Marantz 7025
More Polk speakers
Dayton Audio speakers and amps.
THX stuff (Schiit and Topping are better)
PS Audio anything.
Nelson Pass anything.

I was much more open to various speakers for critical listening. This has narrowed to Focal, Revel, Yamaha, JBL, and some Elac speakers, with Focal at the front of the pack.

Last edited:

ahofer

Forum Donor
I think I was already one foot out the door of the audio dealers I visited when I discovered ASR (how much ”it isn’t the amp/speakers, it’s the cables” can one person take!). ASR helped me get the other foot out. I did buy my speakers from a dealer, with an audition and everything. But the RME DAC, March Audio p252, and Pi-based streamer were ASR-influenced purchases.

Cahudson42

Just about to purchase a miniDSP IL-DSP when ASR post(s) advised PEQ implementation was defective. Couple weeks later PEQ became available on Qudelix. Purchased. Happy camper :)

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
Tube anything. I thought because the Sennheiser HE-1 used them, also other audiophile equipment used them they were good.

Top Bottom