• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you NOT purchased as a result of ASR?

NgtFlyer

I don’t think I'll ever buy anything from NAD again, unless I see it reviewed here. The NAD C 368 review was really a shocker. Shamefully bad performance.

The C368 hasn't been reviewed here. The C268 has and it did well, and was recommended. Could you cite the review you speak of, as a satisfied owner of an NAD C368, I'd like to know where you came to this conclusion.

Reactions: DR3

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t think I'll ever buy anything from NAD again, unless I see it reviewed here. The NAD C 368 review was really a shocker. Shamefully bad performance.

The NAD 2200, conversely, did much better than would likely have been expected! NAD models can definitely be hit or miss.

CJH

Lots of stuff from high dollar, famous audio companies. Too bad a site like this didn't exist years ago. It might have steered the high performance audio industry in a better direction. Great amplifier performance is still lacking throughout. We still see high dollar speaker companies with were told, fabulous engineering, the best manufacturing and test equipment selling loudspeakers with ports that resonate where they shouldn't. This is old tech not being done correctly. Apologies for the rant.
CJH

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently acquired a Bryston B100-SST and steered away from the one with the installed DAC and got the one with the installed phono stage instead. Because of ASR measurements I'd become convinced that my Modi-3 would be equal to the internal Bryston DAC, and to my ear, it is! (I have another Bryston unit with the installed DAC.)

Looking at the ASR phono stage comparisons, I concluded that there was value in the installed phono stage that would likely cost $200 or more to replicate, so I bought a B100 with the installed phono stage at a smaller premium than that over a "plain" unit.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently acquired a Bryston B100-SST and steered away from the one with the installed DAC and got the one with the installed phono stage instead. Because of ASR measurements I'd become convinced that my Modi-3 would be equal to the internal Bryston DAC, and to my ear, it is! (I have another Bryston unit with the installed DAC.)

Looking at the ASR phono stage comparisons, I concluded that there was value in the installed phono stage that would likely cost $200 or more to replicate, so I bought a B100 with the installed phono stage at a smaller premium than that over a "plain" unit.

I think you did wisely:
Dacs improve so much from year to year while the phono stage probably not ...

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you did wisely:
Dacs improve so much from year to year while the phono stage probably not ...
Thanks; I also concluded that a “better” DAC was likely irrelevant to me because I only listen to 16/44.1 digital files anyway. The $99 Modi-3 was the sonic equivalent of the older $1000 Bryston DAC card in this service. I could not reliably tell them apart when switched. I’m not convinced yet that a better measuring DAC would be audibly superior to either.

NgtFlyer

Thanks; I also concluded that a “better” DAC was likely irrelevant to me because I only listen to 16/44.1 digital files anyway. The $99 Modi-3 was the sonic equivalent of the older $1000 Bryston DAC card in this service. I could not reliably tell them apart when switched. I’m not convinced yet that a better measuring DAC would be audibly superior to either.

I also have a Modi 3, use it with its matching Magni 3+. Really nice to listen to. Most of what I listen to is also 44.1 16 bit. I think you are 100% right.

martin900

Not only that, I've also heard they have serious supply issues for the EU.

dtzy

DAC+amp combos like the mx3 and some others. ASR will probably prevent me from buying fancy cables, so I will not check.

ASR also provided another reason why it's good that I stopped watching most youtube audio stuff reviews, if that counts.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR also provided another reason why it's good that I stopped watching most youtube audio stuff reviews, if that counts.
Now for some reason, I’m watching audio repair YouTube videos instead of equipment reviews. Go figure.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Now for some reason, I’m watching audio repair YouTube videos instead of equipment reviews. Go figure.
I was addicted to test and calibration equipment test reviews after @watchnerd had his thread about buying a AC meter for his reel-to-reel calibration. :D

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't buy a 3.000$ I was planning too some years ago.
Now I spent the money on several 200$ DACs and thar's a problem also. :)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Townsend cable.
Keith

MDAguy

Forum Donor

MDAguy

Forum Donor
If you don’t live in the US, schiit is very very overpriced.

I wonder if that's the same story as with Accuphase ... they sell for "reasonable" money in Japan, but in the US, prices can be as much as 2-3x .. the distributor has a tight hold on it.. If you buy from outside the US, you pretty much are black listed from any sort of warranty, or even non-warranty service... plus you have to use a transformer as they will not sell a 110/120v unit to the US unless it's thru their distributor.

Top Bottom