• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are we hitting a bump in the golden age of cheap audio electronics?

Down South

Even before I left the UK in 2001 a lot of hi-fi dealers had gone to the wall, the good along with the hustlers. Do all DACS sound more or less the same, I don't have the experience of different DACs to answer that question but the revival of LPs may well be an affirmation of that opinion.

When you use LPs as your main source of music you really can choose 'your own flavour'. Just about everything in the chain will determine what you hear. the cartridge/arm combo especially: the phono stage will have a major influence as well and what kind of amp and of course the speakers. Valve based systems will be coloured but a lot of people like this. A lot of digital systems can be very detailed but cold/analytical, not what a lot of people like. Accurate but does this 'accuracy' = emotional, and isn't music mainly about emotion. There are some for whom emotion is not important, nothing wrong with that. There is no one way to enjoy music, that would be very android.

Maybe the LP by Grover Washington - Live at the Bijou is superb at just this expression. I would love to have been at Bijou in Philadelphia when this live LP was recorded. If it doesn't have you 'jumping' well - what can I say.

I like classical music that has emotion front and centre. A lot of classical music is technically perfect and 'intellectual' for me there's no emotion - it's head music. That's great if you like it and I'm sure that digital copies will be your thing. Speakers are a very personal thing and can and do sound very different - what flavour do you like, totally personal.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
When you use LPs as your main source of music you really can choose 'your own flavour'. Just about everything in the chain will determine what you hear. the cartridge/arm combo especially: the phono stage will have a major influence as well and what kind of amp and of course the speakers. Valve based systems will be coloured but a lot of people like this. A lot of digital systems can be very detailed but cold/analytical, not what a lot of people like. Accurate but does this 'accuracy' = emotional, and isn't music mainly about emotion. There are some for whom emotion is not important, nothing wrong with that. There is no one way to enjoy music, that would be very android.

Maybe the LP by Grover Washington - Live at the Bijou is superb at just this expression. I would love to have been at Bijou in Philadelphia when this live LP was recorded. If it doesn't have you 'jumping' well - what can I say.

I like classical music that has emotion front and centre. A lot of classical music is technically perfect and 'intellectual' for me there's no emotion - it's head music. That's great if you like it and I'm sure that digital copies will be your thing. Speakers are a very personal thing and can and do sound very different - what flavour do you like, totally personal.
When you "choose your own flavour", you take a step away from the music as presented to you.

That may not be, necessarily, a bad thing.

However, your argument about "emotional" basically comes down to "My equipment adds the emotion". That's clearly missing the point. The musicians play the music, they do the "emotional". And the "intellectual", come to that. You can change the tone of a recording, but you can't replace that "emotional" with some other "emotional" and still be listening to what the musicians meant.

The role of the system is to give you a better window onto the performance and subsequent engineering. It's all it should do.

Speakers sounding different? Sure. But consider it this way. You may prefer to be front and centre in your local music venue, I may prefer to be at the back and slightly to one side of centre, or even up high. The sound will be different in those parts of the hall. We still listen to the same performance, the music will be just as good or bad. Being in row D seat 22 doesn't make the performance more "emotional", either.

So, you can choose your own music, and you can choose performances that sound more "emotional" to you. Even then, that "emotional" in a good performance comes from years of training, whether in a conservatorium or from a long standing performer. It comes from knowing what to do, which is learnt and intellectual. And it always comes from the right forms of regular practice and hard work. Show me an eight year old prodigy and I'll still show you four years of that hard work, devotion, and learning.

Is high fidelity or a large scale system actually about emotion? A great musician, group, conductor will often cut through with their core emotional message to the extent that you get it when you hear the music in a supermarket, on YouTube on a laptop, through cheap headphones, whatever. Our systems are really about the intellectual and scale/architectural qualities of the music, when it comes down to it. If you don't get the emotional content of the music on an "accurate" system, I wonder if you are actually listening to the music at all, or really enjoying just a tonal overlay and colouration that was never really there.

The high fidelity project, as it were, better exposes the music in full, and a genuinely good performance, properly prepared, should be the better for that.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's the very opposite of the goals for having a High Fidelity system.
The idea is and always has been, being able to hear as closely as possible what the microphones heard and artists and recording engineers attempted to offer with their creative talents.
Praising vinyl for it's inability to reproduce music in a reasonably accurate way is one of the craziest things I've ever heard posted here. Instead of throwing away tens of thousands of dollars on LP gear, why not just twist your tone control knobs? :facepalm:

Down South

When you "choose your own flavour", you take a step away from the music as presented to you.

That may not be, necessarily, a bad thing.

However, your argument about "emotional" basically comes down to "My equipment adds the emotion". That's clearly missing the point. The musicians play the music, they do the "emotional". And the "intellectual", come to that. You can change the tone of a recording, but you can't replace that "emotional" with some other "emotional" and still be listening to what the musicians meant.

The role of the system is to give you a better window onto the performance and subsequent engineering. It's all it should do.

Speakers sounding different? Sure. But consider it this way. You may prefer to be front and centre in your local music venue, I may prefer to be at the back and slightly to one side of centre, or even up high. The sound will be different in those parts of the hall. We still listen to the same performance, the music will be just as good or bad. Being in row D seat 22 doesn't make the performance more "emotional", either.

So, you can choose your own music, and you can choose performances that sound more "emotional" to you. Even then, that "emotional" in a good performance comes from years of training, whether in a conservatorium or from a long standing performer. It comes from knowing what to do, which is learnt and intellectual. And it always comes from the right forms of regular practice and hard work. Show me an eight year old prodigy and I'll still show you four years of that hard work, devotion, and learning.

Is high fidelity or a large scale system actually about emotion? A great musician, group, conductor will often cut through with their core emotional message to the extent that you get it when you hear the music in a supermarket, on YouTube on a laptop, through cheap headphones, whatever. Our systems are really about the intellectual and scale/architectural qualities of the music, when it comes down to it. If you don't get the emotional content of the music on an "accurate" system, I wonder if you are actually listening to the music at all, or really enjoying just a tonal overlay and colouration that was never really there.

The high fidelity project, as it were, better exposes the music in full, and a genuinely good performance, properly prepared, should be the better for that.
You've completely misunderstood what I said. I'm lucky in that here in France my 3-1 Bouygues TV/landline/mobile provider gives me access to 7 different music channels. There are really only 2 that I listen to - Intermezzo and Stingray Brava/Classical. With these two channels I get to listen classical concerts from the 60s' onwards. Sure the sound quality from the 60s' and 70s' is'nt as good as current but I do get hear all kinds of classical music and importantly the work of different composers. I get the best seat in the house at concert halls all over the world. One of my favourites the Concertebouw I've actually been in person, it's not 'neutral, it's coloured and warm, vibrant. Via the TV I've listened to concerts at the hugely expensive new concert hall in Hamburg, superbly accurate acoustically both great places to listen to music.

I love Baroque music, it amazes me that this music was an almost complete break from that which came before. It's so fast, so full of energy. So totally different from the dirge like constricted repressed 'stuff' that came before. The classic example has to be the incredible Four Seasons by the red monk he captured those seasons transforming the music into three dimensional living breathing images.

Your comment is dictatorial - telling me how I should appreciate music. I'm not talking about 'adding' emotion, I'm stating that some music oozes emotion - Debussy/Ravel/Mahler etc. whilst other classical music leaves me 'cold' it's what I call 'head' music - look at how clever I am playing the piano/violin just as in Rock, guitarists same thing, look how clever I am - not impressed. Now you may rock on that kind of music - I don't. To me music is a whole body thing. I get the impression that you cannot dance, your a head tripper - fine but I'm not.

Your obviously a very 'structured' person, I don't see any spontaneity coming through. How arrogant to say that it needs years of programming to play good enjoyable music. I've lived in southern Spain for 9 years, Granada was the city I visited often, lots of friends there and heard lots of professional Flamenca being played. But you know the best by far was one night waiting for the night train to Paris to arrive in Hendaye. It was 1968, I'd gone to Spain with a friend to do film work and the weather had been against us so we didn't get much. We were a bit miserable and had just witnessed first hand Fascism on May 1st in Pamplona, I was lucky to come out alive. At the train station there were about 100 Andalucians leaving Spain to work in France, the Netherlands, Germany. They had come prepared with lots of food and wine and seeing a couple of foreigners invited, no insisted we eat and drink with them, typically Spanish. So after eating plenty of the Med. diet (very different today) and plenty of vino tinto, up stood a lovely young woman and began to sing Flamenco. A young guy started playing guitar. Neither were brilliant but it was genuine and then out from the crowd came a man in his 50s', no sun tan, obviously an indoor worker and with a paunch.

Then to every bodies surprise he began to sing Flamenca and could he sing. And so began an incredible 50 minutes or so of real Flamenca, vastly better than any of the professional kind I was to listen to 40 years later. Women started the clapping that Flamenca is famous for, every one got involved. They hadn't studied for years, they weren't intellectuals - they were just real people leaving behind their way of life for the cold northern countries where people just don't have that joy in being alive. When they left Spain they wouldn't have to think before they spoke - in Franco's Spain you had to. All this was in the mix. I just wish I could have had a couple of good mikes and a portable Uher tape deck to record it. You can't buy a ticket for something like that you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

In the early 60s' my mother who always loved live music, bought tickets to see Manitas de Plata at the Dome in Brighton a great music venue where King Crimson first played ITCOTCK in 1972 before they made the LP. A Flamenca performance will always be dependent to a certain extent on how involved the audience is. That night there were many Brits and Spanish who came to work in the UK who were really into Flamenca and as soon as Manita came on stage they let him know. What an evening, you would never know your were in early 60s' England. The whole place was fired up and I've never seen anyone else play a guitar one handed but Manitas did. We both saw him two years later, his son had died in a car crash months earlier and the audience was completely different, 'trapped inside their heads' - it just wasn't the same. They weren't 'participating' they were spectators. Instead of the passion his sorrow over his dead son came through, it was a sad evening.

To use your expression - I wonder if you are actually listening to the music or just 'thinking about it'. To really hear music you have to stop thinking - thought is not reality, only reality is.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Your comment is dictatorial - telling me how I should appreciate music. I'm not talking about 'adding' emotion, I'm stating that some music oozes emotion - Debussy/Ravel/Mahler etc. whilst other classical music leaves me 'cold' it's what I call 'head' music - look at how clever I am playing the piano/violin just as in Rock, guitarists same thing, look how clever I am - not impressed. Now you may rock on that kind of music - I don't. To me music is a whole body thing. I get the impression that you cannot dance, your a head tripper - fine but I'm not.
Do what you want with your playback, it's your system.
But to tell us "your twist" on the release is an improvement in what the artist/engineer intended you to hear is where you make a mistake.
You're now the one being "dictatorial", telling all the artists what their music should sound like.
Distorting the intended sound of a release is just that "distortion".
But do feel free to distort your system in any way that pleases you.

oceansize

Forum Donor
You've completely misunderstood what I said. I'm lucky in that here in France my 3-1 Bouygues TV/landline/mobile provider gives me access to 7 different music channels. There are really only 2 that I listen to - Intermezzo and Stingray Brava/Classical. With these two channels I get to listen classical concerts from the 60s' onwards. Sure the sound quality from the 60s' and 70s' is'nt as good as current but I do get hear all kinds of classical music and importantly the work of different composers. I get the best seat in the house at concert halls all over the world. One of my favourites the Concertebouw I've actually been in person, it's not 'neutral, it's coloured and warm, vibrant. Via the TV I've listened to concerts at the hugely expensive new concert hall in Hamburg, superbly accurate acoustically both great places to listen to music.
The acoustic space may, or may not be represented in the recording. Adding colour/flavour/whatever with your equipment likely distorts that acoustic space, as well as the music.
I love Baroque music, it amazes me that this music was an almost complete break from that which came before. It's so fast, so full of energy. So totally different from the dirge like constricted repressed 'stuff' that came before. The classic example has to be the incredible Four Seasons by the red monk he captured those seasons transforming the music into three dimensional living breathing images.

Your obviously a very 'structured' person, I don't see any spontaneity coming through. How arrogant to say that it needs years of programming to play good enjoyable music. I've lived in southern Spain for 9 years, Granada was the city I visited often, lots of friends there and heard lots of professional Flamenca being played. But you know the best by far was one night waiting for the night train to Paris to arrive in Hendaye. It was 1968, I'd gone to Spain with a friend to do film work and the weather had been against us so we didn't get much. We were a bit miserable and had just witnessed first hand Fascism on May 1st in Pamplona, I was lucky to come out alive. At the train station there were about 100 Andalucians leaving Spain to work in France, the Netherlands, Germany. They had come prepared with lots of food and wine and seeing a couple of foreigners invited, no insisted we eat and drink with them, typically Spanish. So after eating plenty of the Med. diet (very different today) and plenty of vino tinto, up stood a lovely young woman and began to sing Flamenco. A young guy started playing guitar. Neither were brilliant but it was genuine and then out from the crowd came a man in his 50s', no sun tan, obviously an indoor worker and with a paunch.

Then to every bodies surprise he began to sing Flamenca and could he sing. And so began an incredible 50 minutes or so of real Flamenca, vastly better than any of the professional kind I was to listen to 40 years later. Women started the clapping that Flamenca is famous for, every one got involved. They hadn't studied for years, they weren't intellectuals - they were just real people leaving behind their way of life for the cold northern countries where people just don't have that joy in being alive. When they left Spain they wouldn't have to think before they spoke - in Franco's Spain you had to. All this was in the mix. I just wish I could have had a couple of good mikes and a portable Uher tape deck to record it. You can't buy a ticket for something like that you just have to be in the right place at the right time.
These people lived and breathed their music for decades - knowledge being passed down within families/communities. Of course they studied the music.
In the early 60s' my mother who always loved live music, bought tickets to see Manitas de Plata at the Dome in Brighton a great music venue where King Crimson first played ITCOTCK in 1972 before they made the LP. A Flamenca performance will always be dependent to a certain extent on how involved the audience is. That night there were many Brits and Spanish who came to work in the UK who were really into Flamenca and as soon as Manita came on stage they let him know. What an evening, you would never know your were in early 60s' England. The whole place was fired up and I've never seen anyone else play a guitar one handed but Manitas did. We both saw him two years later, his son had died in a car crash months earlier and the audience was completely different, 'trapped inside their heads' - it just wasn't the same. They weren't 'participating' they were spectators. Instead of the passion his sorrow over his dead son came through, it was a sad evening.

To use your expression - I wonder if you are actually listening to the music or just 'thinking about it'. To really hear music you have to stop thinking - thought is not reality, only reality is.
PS I also enjoy listening to my LPs

Galliardist

Major Contributor
So you've actually been to the Concertgebouw. Lucky. How did you flavour the music when you were listening live? Oh, that's right, you didn't. You had different experiences of different sound. So that's how it works. I've been to many concerts in both good and bad venues. What makes one hall "accurate" and the other "warm"? Are you still thinking in terms of your audio system? Both were, shall we say, real and worth experiencing as they are. Except when it's a recording made at the venue.

I presume that is a dig at my screen name here. Well, you don't get away with that rubbish. Baroque music did not just suddenly appear: there were political changes, new influences from Spanish music, important changes in late Renaissance court music which lead to the wider adoption of major and minor key music as opposed to the previous emphasis on modes and the hexachord, and particular things about Italian stage drama that lead to the innovations of Monteverdi.

Then again, I'm guilty of thinking and learning stuff. I've been doing Renaissance and some Baroque dance for some twenty years now as a late starter, and the day after tomorrow I'm attending an intensive course in Baroque dance. I do have my credentials as well, you know. I also play classical guitar - not so well these days because illness has broken my practice routine. Of course, you never have to think when dancing formally or performing. Never happens at all. Not even when you're learning the music. And it's all automatic writing for composers.

As for Vivaldi, he comes in at around one hundred years into the Baroque period. It doesn't come from nowhere, he's a trained musician and composer in a mature style: much of his writing is manipulation of form. Here's a question for you - how does he capture those seasons? Is it simply, as was once put to me by a violinist (no, not a soloist), that he gave the music those titles, and that you could probably substitute a fair few of his other works into the suite with the same title and it would have the same effect? Is there some magic involved? Does it matter, do you even care? It's such good music, that to be honest the answer "no" to the last question can suffice, and we should just experience it. Fine, but remember, that music depends on a good performance by a highly trained solo violinist.

I get the impression that you cannot dance,
Oh, for goodness' sake. (I'm crap at ballroom though). I've given some of my dancing credentials. What are yours?

But you have no idea about the childhood or teenage years of those people you are praising, and probably no idea about how hard flamenco actually can be.

Those rhythms are intense and some are complicated. You'd think from the rubbish that gets written about flamenco, that Andalusian children are born able to clap rhythms in complex time signatures like 12/5 and gifted in singing about the problems of life. No. They learn those rhythms and sounds in the home, at school, in music making, from an early age. You learn those things by repetition and more repetition. They learn the singing at the feet of singers. It's insulting to any form of folk music to think it just happens, and something as complex as flamenco even more so. As it happens, flamenco has origins in older folk dance and song forms, such as the zarabanda, the original folias, and forms like the Sevillanas. The names of the different rhythms in Flamenco refer often to other origin dances. Guess what period these older dances are recognised and come to their key form? Yes, that period the century before Baroque starts, the one where you only seem to hear dirges.

Back when I was in Manchester, a troupe of Flamenco dancers performed daily for a week in one of the shopping centres. There was a fourteen year old dancer among them and she was doing quite astonishing technical feats of keeping different times with castanets and stamping polyrhythms. She was asked how she could do so much at such a young age. She replied (translated for us) that she started at three years old, and that to do such things, you had to do it day after day, and that unless you went through a period of hating it and out the other side, you didn't really learn it. Maybe not intellectual as you think I mean it, but that is how people learn these things. Not studied for years? Of course, studied for years.

In the Court of the Crimson King was released in 1969, which obviously comes after 1972 :rolleyes:

It takes a great musician to make an audience sad, and a receptive audience to catch that sadness. Don't feel that you missed out because that evening was sad. It's part of life. The term in Flamenco is duende. Do you not appreciate sad music? It sounds like you see it as lesser. As for playing the guitar one handed, I've played a couple of short runs that way and I'm just a mediocre amateur classical performer (I've even lost the right to call myself mediocre now since I practice less, talent is what you have when you practice). It's a trick that takes a while to learn to do well, involving tapping and plucking with the same hand. The same kind of technical trickery you decried earlier...

Thinking, learning, practicing: if you really think that stuff doesn't go into any half decent music performance, I'd sentence you to a month of listening to those "talent show audition" videos on YouTube where people actually think they are talented and can just turn up and sing something, maybe interspersed with a few evenings in those karaoke bars where spirits are cheap.

Down South

Do what you want with your playback, it's your system.
But to tell us "your twist" on the release is an improvement in what the artist/engineer intended you to hear is where you make a mistake.
You're now the one being "dictatorial", telling all the artists what their music should sound like.
Distorting the intended sound of a release is just that "distortion".
But do feel free to distort your system in any way that pleases you.
Absurd comment - nowhere am I 'telling' the artists/ musicians what their music should sound like. The language you use says an awful lot about you. Do you realise that?

mdunjic

My GF is an Apple user. I see zero difference between her update cycles and mine with Android on my smartphone/tablet and Win7 on my computers. And when I retire, I'll probably just stay with Linux (Ubuntu) - but you should know Linux is at the very heart of your Apple laptops and desktop, they just put a UI and extra control around it. Personally, I think pretty much any OS these days works fine if you maintain it properly. Furthermore, I don't think the OS plays a factor in this discussion about the amazing progress in "cheap" audio.

This website clearly shows there is no guarantee that a product 20x the cost of a cheaper alternative is a guarantee to get better audio quality. It's been proven beyond doubt. I for one am a recovering audio snob that, through life circumstances change, discovered that these days I can enjoy music just as much -and discern detail just the same- through a $5k system as through a $60k system... perhaps even more so, but the existing differences really don't matter much, if they even exist.

And I can go to my GF's place, where I helped her set up what I think is a $1.5k audio system, and honestly can immerse myself in music just the same.
Is macOS Linux or Unix?

The first desktop version, Mac OS X 10.0, was released on March 24, 2001. All releases from Mac OS X Leopard onward (except for OS X Lion) are UNIX 03 certified. Therefore it's not Linux that's at the heart of Mac OSX

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is macOS Linux or Unix?

The first desktop version, Mac OS X 10.0, was released on March 24, 2001. All releases from Mac OS X Leopard onward (except for OS X Lion) are UNIX 03 certified. Therefore it's not Linux that's at the heart of Mac OSX
Linux and Unix are basically integrated and the same these days. All innovation is Linux driven.

Dimitri

Linux and Unix are basically integrated and the same these days. All innovation is Linux driven.
Linux is the kernel with a whole bunch of software on top of it and around it to make the OS (UNIX-like) . That's why everyone, their brother and neighbor has their own distribution/version/flavor/editions etc etc etc
UNIX always was "the whole operating system" developed originally by Bell Labs.
Not to be confused by XENIX developed by good old Microsoft.
Most use the terms interchangeably and probably from a "bird's eye" view it's "good enough for governemnt work" :)

Galliardist

Major Contributor
MacOS innovation is hardly Linux driven. There isn't a byte of Linux code in MacOS's core, and some of the open source components previously used with the OS have been removed over the decades, in some cases following warnings about breaking relevant licenses. The forced removal of SAMBA and issues with the replacement code, caused problems for years.

Some things are still there in MacOS, principally some terminals, and of course CUPS. And there is code to install native UNIX software rather than just MacOS applications, though I've not touched that for ages either. These things though don't make MacOS into Linux at all.

MacOS is based on the BSD core, which is not Linux. I'm not even sure Apple bother about Unix standards or suchlike any more. The core of MacOS used to be released as open source, called Darwin, to satisfy some licensing requirements. I think it still is, but I haven't looked for years.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MacOS innovation is hardly Linux driven.
No one said that. They write their own applications and application integration on top of it. Like every application developer does. OS does not drive innovation. Applications do.

There isn't a byte of Linux code in MacOS's core

Not true, I think, but also not that important. Both have Unix roots, hence shall share code for sure. But that code base is open, so no one needs to talk about it unless they break the original open source agreement. I'd just note Apple is a generous contributor to the Linux kernel code... :)

Galliardist

Major Contributor
No one said that. They write their own applications and application integration on top of it. Like every application developer does. OS does not drive innovation. Applications do.
You certainly strongly implied it... your words were
That is NOT true for Unix. Different flavours of Unix are still in use, that are not Linux, and" innovation" happens on at least some of those platforms. I repeat this as a point of accuracy.

Not true, I think, but also not that important. Both have Unix roots, hence shall share code for sure. But that code base is open, so no one needs to talk about it unless they break the original open source agreement. I'd just note Apple is a generous contributor to the Linux kernel code... :)
Apple do not contribute to the Linux kernel code. If you have direct evidence otherwise, post here. Please. I'd like to see it.

Apple do contribute to and use other open source projects. They have a page that lists those where they are leading or contributing heavily, Apple Open Source.

They use other open source tools, languages and libraries as well..

Apple engineers are involved in the Asahi Linux project to run Linux on Apple Silicon software. This seems to be mainly to ensure that the Asahi code doesn't break Apple security guidelines, or break something that stops MacOS being available in dual boot.

Down South

I bought a mini/midget PC via indiegogo and just took delivery of a plug in VPN/Deeper Connect Air. There is no way I will use Windows. So many obligatory apps I will never use and always trying to sell you something. Linux Ubuntu - I would like to be able to download a really stripped down version of that. Facebook/tiktok and all associated garbage/mind games, no interest to me at all. The only email that has been hacked and still is Hotmail. Never had any problem with Yahoo or Gmail.

In the good old days you paid cash or wrote a cheque, now there is so much crap you have to comply with, so many emails you must delete straight away. What those who created this minefield simply cannot face is that one day they are going to be old, are going to get confused and maybe have no one trustworthy to help them - tomorrow never comes - oh yes it does. Macawberism is great - until the moment it isn't.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not sure about "the good old days" myself.
Can you imagine if everybody wrote cheques for everything...

Reckon in the US there would be shootings in supermarket queues daily. Widespread civil unrest worldwide.

Ordering and delivery of your chosen budget Topping DAC would be a nightmare at best too...

(Saying that, I guess that gun crime was actually less prevalent then too however. Hmm. I am on the fence on that one then, I guess.)

Whatever.

Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I bought a mini/midget PC via indiegogo and just took delivery of a plug in VPN/Deeper Connect Air. There is no way I will use Windows. So many obligatory apps I will never use and always trying to sell you something. Linux Ubuntu - I would like to be able to download a really stripped down version of that. Facebook/tiktok and all associated garbage/mind games, no interest to me at all. The only email that has been hacked and still is Hotmail. Never had any problem with Yahoo or Gmail.

In the good old days you paid cash or wrote a cheque, now there is so much crap you have to comply with, so many emails you must delete straight away. What those who created this minefield simply cannot face is that one day they are going to be old, are going to get confused and maybe have no one trustworthy to help them - tomorrow never comes - oh yes it does. Macawberism is great - until the moment it isn't.
There should be a stripped down Linux out there somewhere. That's not my area, but I'm sure that it will have been done because there are lots of people who don't want that stuff either.

I've had to deal with a couple of Yahoo email account hacks down the years. There was a major breach at one point. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_data_breaches

Hotmail was hacked sometime around 2010 - https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2009/oct/05/hotmail-password-change-microsoft

https://cybernews.com/security/microsoft-denies-data-breach-claims/ - seems it didn't happen. A lot of "password" hacks on key services are actually bad guys getting hold of passwords for one server and trying them on another. They then claim to have hacked the other service. (Of course, other bad guys just try the accounts then access them for whatever they can get). Also, all of the online secure password managers have been hacked down the years: so a list that looks like a server breach can be put together that way. But we never know, do we? Microsoft seem to have learnt their lesson, mostly, and are better at this security stuff than they used to be. Much better. Even so, good enough?

As for Google/gmail....

Essentially, don't trust 'em any more than you have to.

As far as getting old, I know a few smart people who lost at least some of their life savings to frauds of various kinds after retirement, so I quite agree. I expect that by the time I retire - and that will be pretty soon! - we'll be giving DNA samples to AI devices just to buy a coffee... and the bad guys will still be just walking into accounts and stealing our money.

Coming back to the subject... don't reuse your email password for your streaming accounts or whatever bank you buy your next cheap DAC from, or your hifi might just get to be a lot more expensive than you thought!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
As far as getting old, I know a few smart people who lost at least some of their life savings to frauds of various kinds after retirement, so I quite agree.
Well, heck, now "we" in the US will be able to buy shares in ETFs invested in Bitcoin.
As NPR said, what could possibly go wrong?

;) :( :facepalm:

Down South

Not sure about "the good old days" myself.
Can you imagine if everybody wrote cheques for everything...

Reckon in the US there would be shootings in supermarket queues daily. Widespread civil unrest worldwide.

Ordering and delivery of your chosen budget Topping DAC would be a nightmare at best too...

(Saying that, I guess that gun crime was actually less prevalent then too however. Hmm. I am on the fence on that one then, I guess.)

Whatever.
I live in France and cheques are used every day in s/markets, just today I waited while someone filled out a cheque. Credit/debit cards make business more profitable for banks, that's why they were introduced. Why is shipping so expensive because it isn't shipped, it's comes by air. Why not send a cheque, wait for it to clear and the goods sent - because you've been programmed to 'want it' yesterday - that doesn't come for free.

The reason - time is money, it's what suits big business, it really is as simple as that. Big business doesn't want you to think. It want's you to be a docile programmed spectator buying on credit, that way you can be easily controlled.

Simple question - is business a function of society or - is society a function of business. Check out Gorge Carlin on You Tube he will help you to, deprogramme yourself.

Top Bottom