• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FAQ Questions on Audio/ASR

Status
Not open for further replies.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
  1. At what level of SINAD is audible within the average human hearing threshold?
  2. What/how are THD caused in electronics?
  3. What are all the various types and causes of distortions in speaker and the human hearing threshold of each? IMD, cone breakup, resonance (cabinet, port, etc), compression, etc.
  4. Why is it that when electronics is flat on the frequency response and measures below human hearing threshold will sound exactly alike. Making op-amp rolling nonsense.

Reed

What are the best practices for measuring in-room response using REW? Please include REW software settings for Mac and PC. Also mic placement. I know there are many threads that touch on this but it would be nice to consolidate.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
What is an earth loop and how do I fix it?

Should I get dedicated power cabling and sockets installed for my audio system?

Do I need a surge protector and if so, does it affect the sound?

Is it OK to disconnect the earth wire in the mains plug?

What's the best mains cable? Should I use the best cable on the source or the power amplifier?

DavidM1

What is the amplifier wattage required for high quality audio at home?

The answer might discuss speaker efficiency, proximity, room size, volume levels for different music genres, tradeoff between sinad and wattage.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some FAQ categories that seem to be emerging from the suggestions so far. These are in no particular order, and I'm sure others can come up with better versions of these labels. And I'm sure I've missed a lot. But maybe for a start?
  • About ASR and Amir
  • Purpose and Principles of Measurement and Testing of Audio Gear
  • Human Hearing and ASR Standards for Good and Bad Performance
  • Guidance on Audio Design and Acoustic and Electrical Principles
  • Your Hearing vs Measurements
  • How Much Power/Performance Do You Need?
  • Speakers and Room Acoustics

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why SINAD?
When does EQ help?
Audibility of distortion at different frequencies
Room size and speaker measurements-how to interpret?

threni

Major Contributor
Please let's not go there (again). That thread ended up a real dumpster fire.
I was assuming/hoping each answer in the FAQ would be a single, comment-less page. That way everything's nice and clean, and it's clear that the answer isn't up for discussion ("but I can hear the difference") but is the position of the site. Arguments, suggestions for improvements etc can be brought up in another thread/DM to the author etc.
It's going to be a lot of work judging by the number of suggestions. Perhaps interested members could write answers and hash it out for submission to/further edits by Amir?

Last edited:

VVR

Does high sensitivity speakers sound better/more dynamic/more lifelike than low sensitivity speakers?

Should I prefer 4ohm to 8ohm speakers or vice versa? Does it really matter? Which one would sound better?

What frequency range boost/cut will make my system sound dull/nasal/boomy/bright/aggressive/fatiguing/natural/pleasant/dynamic/open etc., etc.?

ITJ

This is one that I would like to understand better.

Dynamic Range:

What is dynamic range.
What is the dynamic range of a recording
What is the dynamic range of equipment
Why do speakers not have a dynamic range
What is the dynamic range of the room
What is the dynamic range of hearing
What is gain.

How does everything link together as a whole chain.

Why does a mp3 still sound good.

Thumbs up for a ASR wiki.

Erici

Forum Donor
Why does my music sound better when I increase the volume?

What dB level should I play my music for the best fidelity?

What is the best way to audition new speakers at a showroom?

Can I just buy speakers using measurements for comparison?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a floor standing versus a bookshelf speaker?

You look so young in the videos so how old are you in real life?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks everyone. Keep them coming.

It seems that we have a mountain of topics to write about going way beyond an FAQ. I will need to distill this down to a core set of questions I can put in an FAQ and then look at wiki or other means to address the rest. Thinking out loud, I don't think I will ever have the bandwidth to write about all of these technical topics but better to have the list than not.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

It seems that we have a mountain of topics to write about going way beyond an FAQ. I will need to distill this down to a core set of questions I can put in an FAQ and then look at wiki or other means to address the rest. Thinking out loud, I don't think I will ever have the bandwidth to write about all of these technical topics but better to have the list than not.
I hope that you seriously consider a wiki for this. :)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Time for a book. ;)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1707604592775.jpeg

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Perhaps, let some members write, and have it peer reviewed before you post. Just a thought.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Perhaps, let some members write, and have it peer reviewed before you post. Just a thought.
That is probably the only way to get it done. I am thinking of a single person writing the draft and me reviewing it. If the full forum gets involved, it will never get done. :)

If someone wants to volunteer, please start a conversation with me. We could actually use a few people each taking on a different topic area.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I hope that you seriously consider a wiki for this. :)
I find the look of Wikis to be uninviting and cold. They would also look very different than the rest of the forum. But yes, I will think about it. :)

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

the degree to which a copy of something shows the true character of the original:
The fidelity of the tape recording was so poor that you could not understand much of what was said.
:D I didn't expect that one.

Amir uses the word "fidelity" many times in his videos and reviews in statements of the sort "this is better in terms of fidelity", so I thought it would be nice to explain the meaning of a sentence like that in the context of audio, where it's not that clear what "original" means and also because what reaches your ears is not exactly what comes out of the speakers, not even the DAC, which by the way produces electricity, not sound, so it's a different type of fidelity... I don't really know, that's why I thought I would like to have that explained by Amir. :)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:D I didn't expect that one.

Amir uses the word "fidelity" many times in his videos and reviews in statements of the sort "this is better in terms of fidelity", so I thought it would be nice to explain the meaning of a sentence like that in the context of audio, where it's not that clear what "original" means and also because what reaches your ears is not exactly what comes out of the speakers, not even the DAC, which by the way produces electricity, not sound, so it's a different type of fidelity... I don't really know, that's why I thought I would like to have that explained by Amir. :)
Yeah, and what about High Fidelity. Riddle us that one, @Blumlein 88.

I'll be going back to Call For Humor now.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom