• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What electronic audio products you want tested most

What electronics audio product you like to see tested more

• Power and Integrated Amplifiers

Votes: 634 55.2%
  • Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 182 15.8%
  • Home Theater AVRs

Votes: 307 26.7%
  • Home Theater Processors

Votes: 199 17.3%
  • DACs

Votes: 350 30.5%
  • Streamers

Votes: 262 22.8%
  • Combo DAC and Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 237 20.6%
  • Phono preamp

Votes: 106 9.2%
  • DSP (digital signal processors)

Votes: 379 33.0%
  • Vintage audio products

Votes: 270 23.5%

• Total voters

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to use extensively a special wiring grease made for salty environments. I was manufacturing snow plow trucks with side blades, belly blades and front blades all controlled by electronics in the cab. The grease was veryyy nice smooth sticky stuff. It was made to repel salt and water.
I have found that I have been using Amsoil synthetics for most everything since my first experience with their product in the mid 70's that lowered the OIL temperature (by 25 degrees F in my twin Weber 40 IDF carbed 1679 CC VW Super Beetle (88mm bore X69 (stock) MM stroke that made 105 HP & 31 MPG HWY.
KYB Gas-A-Just shocks in the rear & struts in the front, 185/65 R15's Pirelli's on the front & 255/60.R15's on the rear, Transaxle had a lower first gear (from a VW bus transaxle, second was left alone, third was shorter ratio than original & the overdrive 4th was initially stock, but my oil temps would get excessive on the freeway, as the blower air cooled fan was turning to low a speed ant 60 MPG.
So out came the engine & trans and a 1.04 underdrive was put in 4th. Then it was just barely not overheating on the interstates 225-245 F oil temps.
I swapped to the Amsoil synthetic at the time & my oil temps stayed less than 225 F no matter what.
Since then, it's been my go to lube in my greasing of my boating gear, the fuel that I mix up at 80 (visible smoke free to my gas 2 strokes (boat & string trimer.
their marine grease acts like the grease that you are talking about.
EJ3

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have found that I have been using Amsoil synthetics for most everything since my first experience with their product in the mid 70's that lowered the OIL temperature (by 25 degrees F in my twin Weber 40 IDF carbed 1679 CC VW Super Beetle (88mm bore X69 (stock) MM stroke that made 105 HP & 31 MPG HWY.
KYB Gas-A-Just shocks in the rear & struts in the front, 185/65 R15's Pirelli's on the front & 255/60.R15's on the rear, Transaxle had a lower first gear (from a VW bus transaxle, second was left alone, third was shorter ratio than original & the overdrive 4th was initially stock, but my oil temps would get excessive on the freeway, as the blower air cooled fan was turning to low a speed ant 60 MPG.
So out came the engine & trans and a 1.04 underdrive was put in 4th. Then it was just barely not overheating on the interstates 225-245 F oil temps.
I swapped to the Amsoil synthetic at the time & my oil temps stayed less than 225 F no matter what.
Since then, it's been my go to lube in my greasing of my boating gear, the fuel that I mix up at 80 (visible smoke free to my gas 2 strokes (boat & string trimer.
their marine grease acts like the grease that you are talking about.
EJ3
Cool... Those Beetles go like snot when hopped up. I witnessed them at the Spokane Drag 1/4 mile Raceway during the world's final drag races 5 years running in the late 70's and early 80s. Amazing and very loud they where. They where as fast as anything street-able and big bore. How did you mix your glycol coolant ratio for those 225F+ temps? Isn't that extreme stuff?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm.
I recently suggested to you that a conductive grease test of contact integrity would be a interesting test review.
Something very different for sure.
I think the web searches of such a test would result in a very diverse response of web surfers that would come to ASR to see the test.
I also have an idea(s) on how to do such a test.
Using a calibrated torque wrench of a 1/4" drive size torque wrench the repeatability of the snugness of the greased and non-greased threaded type connection(s) could be maintained and resultingly the test would be lended credibility due to the calibrated torque wrench.
So with a lesser torque wrench setting the conduction would be assisted by the grease and a very tight torque wrench setting would result in a gas tight seal that should negate the conductive grease advantages.
The tests of threaded connections is much more involved and more time consuming but for audio and instrumentation connectors the test would be very easy procedurally speaking.
For non-threaded things like audio and instrumentation connectors like banana jacks and RCAs which fit by friction and a slight contact pressure the grease should provide a measurable benefit and hopefully reduce glitchy blippy intermittent contact issues too.
I think the test procedures could be repeatable with accuracy and screenshots/video of the metering gear would be very interesting for newbies and experts alike.
There are home/farm based websites that specialize in these sorts of test methods and they garner millions of hits per video and so going off that I am confident it would be a benefit to ASR to do this conductive grease test.
There could be multiple conductive grease products and multiple audio and instrumentation connectors tested for a comprehensive view of the stuff.
:D

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Greased and non-greased threads produce significantly different joint load at the same torque setting. If you test at the same torque any difference may be down to the difference in load not the conductivity of the grease. Load sensing bolt perhaps?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Greased and non-greased threads produce significantly different joint load at the same torque setting. If you test at the same torque any difference may be down to the difference in load not the conductivity of the grease. Load sensing bolt perhaps?
Yes, that makes sense and is why I leaned towards testing audio and instrumentation connectors. :D To make it easy and repeatable for @amirm as is possible.

Last edited:

gino1961

Addicted to Fun and Learning
hi i am the only one interested in line preamps ? a line preamp acts as the control center of the system
switching inputs and setting the volume
considering that many sources are digital maybe also processsors that could act as preamps

Last edited:

Dinesh Menon

Wish we could have more Home Theater AVRs reviews in our forum, which are also good for enjoying music.
It seems to be a niche segment ?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wish we could have more Home Theater AVRs reviews in our forum, which are also good for enjoying music.
It seems to be a niche segment ?
I think we all love AVRs here, but someone has to send them in. We haven’t gotten the new Sony’s in for test or the A1H or x6800H or Cinema 30 yet. Trinnov actually has a 2022+ ESS based DAC as well.

If you are buying one, you can coordinate with Amir to have it drop shipped to him and moved to the front of the line for testing so you have time in your in home trial.

Dinesh Menon

I think we all love AVRs here, but someone has to send them in. We haven’t gotten the new Sony’s in for test or the A1H or x6800H or Cinema 30 yet. Trinnov actually has a 2022+ ESS based DAC as well.

If you are buying one, you can coordinate with Amir to have it drop shipped to him and moved to the front of the line for testing so you have time in your in home trial.
I never thought on that line.
AVRs usually come from big brands with big prices, it should be a privilege for them to be on ASR recommended list.
So shouldn't they send it to Amir Sir ?
I liked your suggestion, I will be buying it after deciding on the ideal one for me.

In India some of the Denon & Yamaha AVRs are cheaper than their integrated amplifiers. So I feel AVR is the better option, I am talking about the budget segment. I find Yamaha ones are more suitable for listening to music, after going through many expert reviews.

Yamaha R-N600A costs Rs.67,000.
Yamaha RX-V4A AVR costs Rs.55,600.
Yamaha HTR-3072 AVR costs Rs.40,000.
Yamaha R-S202 Stereo Receiver costs -
Rs.30,000.(on our recommended list)
(1$ = 83.31 Indian Rupee/Rs)
Denon is cheaper in this segment, but going by the reviews I'm avoiding them.

Eager to know your valuable opinion,
regarding choosing AVR over integrated amplifier. Music will be my main consumption.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
AVRs usually come from big brands with big prices, it should be a privilege for them to be on ASR recommended list.
I liked your suggestion, I will be buying it after deciding on the ideal one for me.

In India some of the Denon & Yamaha AVRs are cheaper than their integrated amplifiers. So I feel AVR is the better option, I am talking about the budget segment. I find Yamaha ones are more suitable for listening to music, after going through many expert reviews.

regarding choosing AVR over integrated amplifier. Music will be my main consumption.
Amir reviewed and recommends the $20 Audyssey MultEQ Editor app at the link below. Select Denon AVR's (listed at the app) like the AVR-S760H are compatible with the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool... Those Beetles go like snot when hopped up. I witnessed them at the Spokane Drag 1/4 mile Raceway during the world's final drag races 5 years running in the late 70's and early 80s. Amazing and very loud they where. They where as fast as anything street-able and big bore. How did you mix your glycol coolant ratio for those 225F+ temps? Isn't that extreme stuff?
ZERO% GLYCOL to 100% NATURAL AIR!
Being as oil is the coolant over the #3 cylinder (on a stock one) is a oil to air cooler. From the factory, the original distributors had a 3 degree difference built into them to compensate for the extra heat caused by the factory oil cooler being there.
In 1985 it was quite fun to beat a new Camaro or Firebird stop light to stop light.
Of course by 88 MPH they could blow by me. But how many would have been willing to brag to their friends that the out ran a beat-up, early 70's VW Beetle?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
ZERO% GLYCOL to 100% NATURAL AIR!
Being as oil is the coolant over the #3 cylinder (on a stock one) is a oil to air cooler. From the factory, the original distributors had a 3 degree difference built into them to compensate for the extra heat caused by the factory oil cooler being there.
In 1985 it was quite fun to beat a new Camaro or Firebird stop light to stop light.
Of course by 88 MPH they could blow by me. But how many would have been willing to brag to their friends that the out ran a beat-up, early 70's VW Beetle?
Righttt air cooled... Hehe.. I forgot. I know so little about Beetles.

Reactions: EJ3

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, some things were simpler back then. In a Beetle, you could literally go on a 2500 mile trip & by the time you got back, have fully rebuilt the engine in shops along the way.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also had a 10 gal fuel tank built to fit in the space behind the back seat & (along with the original front trunk fuel tank, at 24 MPG city & 31 HWY), and a 40 or so quart cooler (for food & beverages) on the rear seat, the stops were really, in fact, for bodily functions.
A trip with a girlfriend & camping here & there, would take care of cleaning the pipe's also.

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Not many companies send their larger pieces of gear to AMIRM
& the sight itself, I think, is somewhat more stereo oriented.
I myself dropped out of the AVR (I had 6.2 going on in 1991) world in 2001.
And have now moved into a smaller place that cannot accommodate more that the pair of subwoofers and pair of left & right speakers that I have (a tri-amped system).
A large percentage of my system has, at one time or another been tested by AMIRM, as I arranged with him for me to send it there to him at various points in time.
Most (not all, but the vast majority of it) of what he tests is sent to him by individuals.
I would venture to say that most AVR companies know that their gear is subpar to the standards used here, so their company knows that they are unlikely to get a good or better review from sending it in.
Which would make it more difficult to sell their product. Since it is unlikely to benefit them (&, in fact, more likely to make it more difficult for them), they have no incentive to send it to him.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They rather pay Youtube Influencers to make videos about their stuff. They also rather pay magazines to advertise their wares. Both have measurable results, in terms of views, sales and so on. That is what marketing and management folk likes.

That said, there are a few that do send in their stuff and that is highly appreciated. Maybe we should list them to fully appreciate their trust in their own product?
It seems the smaller the company, the more likely they send in their stuff.

Dinesh Menon

Not many companies send their larger pieces of gear to AMIRM
& the sight itself, I think, is somewhat more stereo oriented.
I myself dropped out of the AVR (I had 6.2 going on in 1991) world in 2001.
And have now moved into a smaller place that cannot accommodate more that the pair of subwoofers and pair of left & right speakers that I have (a tri-amped system).
A large percentage of my system has, at one time or another been tested by AMIRM, as I arranged with him for me to send it there to him at various points in time.
Most (not all, but the vast majority of it) of what he tests is sent to him by individuals.
I would venture to say that most AVR companies know that their gear is subpar to the standards used here, so their company knows that they are unlikely to get a good or better review from sending it in.
Which would make it more difficult to sell their product. Since it is unlikely to benefit them (&, in fact, more likely to make it more difficult for them), they have no incentive to send it to him.
Thanks for your valuable guidance.
As you said, our forum is more about stereo format, and the AVR companies are not ready to face the testing standards of ASR forum.
I recall Denon PMA-600NE failing the test
and Yamaha R-S202 got recommended.
While the sponsored reviewers are pushing this Denon as the best one for beginners.
I go through so many reviews and cross check the details to identify VFM systems.
ASR forum is a real eye opener for me.

Dinesh Menon

They rather pay Youtube Influencers to make videos about their stuff. They also rather pay magazines to advertise their wares. Both have measurable results, in terms of views, sales and so on. That is what marketing and management folk likes.

That said, there are a few that do send in their stuff and that is highly appreciated. Maybe we should list them to fully appreciate their trust in their own product?
It seems the smaller the company, the more likely they send in their stuff.
I can see many audio products which didn't measure well here being hailed as the best ones on YouTube channels and websites.
These sponsored reviewers, when confronted with 'real test results' will say that those expert reviews are highly Subjective Opinions.
( I've read it in many times)
Fact is that giving paid review is their Sole Objective.
Helping big brands to focus on quantity and not on quality.
I've seen small, upcoming brands sending products for review to Amir Sir, interacting with our FMs, taking suggestions and implementing them.
You rightly stated the facts.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recall Denon PMA-600NE failing the test and Yamaha R-S202 got recommended.
I wondered about that as well. Denon:
index.php

index.php

Yamaha:
index.php

index.php

I see why the Yamaha for $200 got the recommendation and the Denon for $500 didn't. In terms of cost and functionality the Denon plays with the Yamaha A-S501 and there it's lack of value is even more obvious.

While the sponsored reviewers are pushing this Denon as the best one for beginners.
If you really want your day ruined, look at the early Youtube "reviews" of the Klipsch RP-600M, and then look at the Klippel NFS measurements. :cool:

Top Bottom