• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What advice you wish you could have given to your younger self or someone new to this hobby?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d do that too for a few idiotic choices I made (especially doing young guy dumb things, including subjecting my ears to sound levels that caused my tinnitus).

But nothing for audio though. I am happy with pretty much all my choices.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Don't give away all the vinyl records purchased in high school and college just because CDs are better in every way.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Didn't stepped on any mines besides a $200 Tripath amp in 2013. I was also lucky to chance upon Ethan's Winer video on placebophilia at that time too.

rgdawsonco

I got some good advice from my older brother when I was young which has served me well, at least when I followed it. “You don’t need everything. But when you decide you are going to get something, get what you really want. Every time. You’ll be better off in the long run.”

Don’t justify too much why you like something, you just do.

Music is art. It is fun. There is no such thing as perfect. Listen to the art, not the gear.

Learn to play the piano. Don’t wait until you are 60 to get serious about playing guitar.

Nothing, I mean nothing, is ever allowed to be placed on top of a speaker. No plants, no pictures, No nick knacks. Nothing. Not even for a second.

Make your audio system look fantastic, spend the money on good audio furniture and interfaces.

Train your future wife on how to work the gear and play her stuff and get her involved.

Someday you will own Klipsch Cornwalls, and you will love them.

Listen to something new every day.

Take good care of your hearing, you are going to need it, and it doesn’t last forever.

These are all things I should have known earlier Than I did.

Platypus20

Forum Donor
Why and on?
Meridian - 508.24 cd player, they had it more than I did, went back 5 times, over 3 years

PS Audio - the reliability of the (2) Lambda CD transports made the Meridian look stellar, both had multiple trips back, work a week or 2, then fail again

Adcom - GFA-555, bad transformer buzz, from day 1, told that was normal by Adcom, hissed terribly with no music playing, sold to my cousin, the last I knew it was still working in the camp. Switched to a Conrad-Johnson solid state amp, that was flawless for 25+ yrs, until I bought the Benchmarks.

Top Bottom