• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

• Yes

Votes: 115 59.6%
  • Yes, but

Votes: 60 31.1%
  • It's OK

Votes: 12 6.2%
  • No, but

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

Lawhaus

Yes, but I know it can be better. After going to route of DSP/dirac and measurements, I know the last hurdle for improvement is the room itself. And effective room treatment is so ugly, I dont want it in my living room.

Mean & Green

I’ve voted ‘yes, but’.

I‘m 100% happy with my source components and amplification, I know my speakers and my living room are the weakest link. I haven’t measured my room response, have no room correction or DSP software but subjectively to me it is mostly excellent. I just know it won’t be technically perfect.

melomane13

Most problème here is the room, not the equipement... Vote yes, but.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Yes but.

I’d be curious to know what sort of improvements a pair of 2024 text book performance speakers would bring.

I’d also like to both modernize and simplify my setup even further.

That said, I have now dialed in my setup to such a high satisfaction level, that I wouldn’t mind if it turned out to be my last one.

Mikig

Yes, but….

I confirm that the performance of the system is excellent, or rather, systems.
I like to change configurations from time to time, and play with new modes, devices or theories. I think that immobility is never part of a hobby.
No recipes from the last century based on snake oil though!!;)

What I would like to have is a slightly smaller room....the day will come when I will work on this aspect: either I change the room or a wall to divide the current one …

however, the biggest change of the whole experience I achieved with the change of mentality.
I went from romanticism to realism; silver and 1541 have left room for the super performance and simplicity of a few modern chips that have washed away in one fell swoop the most popular theory of building an audio system...

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, and...

It has a lot to do with ASR. I've ever been content with any of my systems until I came here, opened my mind, vastly expanded my understanding of audio, and started applying what I learned to the things I bought and how I set them up. Thanks y'all!

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted 'Yes' last time but this time I've gone for 'Yes but' - since I have changed some parts of the system since the last vote and I think it is better now than it was.

So never say never.

Tell

Yes, but I would like to live without neighbours. As I live now my current system does everything I need, but if I would live without neighbours I could play louder and then I'd build myself a pair of floor to celling line arrays and maybe four 12" subwoofers to get a BIG sound.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes but.

Thrilled with my system.

Satisfied? I don't know what that is. :)

I'd much rather listen to my system than any other I've heard. But I also notice things in other systems that I'd like my system to do as well. So I'm as satisfied as I can be on the principle that for me there is no perfect system.

I'm in 'have to be, or pretend to be, satisfied' mode. I've bought everything I want or need, shaved down my audio gear by selling extra stuff. And money is tight for now so I don't even contemplate other gear.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Yep I am…………, but I have been eyeing the fiio R9 desktop streamer to replace my Cambridge Audio CXNv2 streamer that sits on my desk (see below), it’d free up loads of space, have a better/more useful screen, better /more useful features and I could sit it between my monitor and iMac but it’s £1400, I guess I could sell my CXN for £350ish so It’d cost £1000. I‘ll wait till I see it drops a bit or a Black Friday type sale then I’ll seriously consider it.

51724319233_a597d2d68e_c.jpg
[/url]

Since this pic was taken my monitors are now spaced further apart so the Fiio R9 would sit very nicely on the desk shelf next to imac/monitor, it’d free up over 50 cm of desk space.

DMill

Forum Donor
Satisfied? I don't know what that is. :)
I’ve followed your posts enough to comment. You have/had the very best audio offers. Maybe it’s time to just relax and help other people find their jam. :) You know what you like.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes but.

I’d be curious to know what sort of improvements a pair of 2024 text book performance speakers would bring.

I’d also like to both modernize and simplify my setup even further.

That said, I have now dialed in my setup to such a high satisfaction level, that I wouldn’t mind if it turned out to be my last one.
Hi
Edits are mine :)
My present system started as a "proof of concept", it has been a pleasant, but long journey of about 5 years. Humbling and edifying. I am not only satisfied but often elated. Such a (relatively) modest expenditure for such satisfying, sometimes stunning performance.

I am beyond curious to move to a higher objective level, some time next year: Better LCR speakers, perhaps one additional superior subwoofer, everything else would remain the same for the foreseeable future,

As an advice I would suggest to anyone to start with objectively good components (nothing crazy) and to learn how to optimize their system, in their room. It will likely take time, that needs to be stressed, but it is worth it.

A bit O.T. but .. I would recommend to any system owner:
To acquire a miniDSP Umik-1
Download REW, a donation would be recommended as well.
Download MSO, a donation would be recommended as well.
Find a way to apply EQ to their system.

Research, understand, learn to measure, learn to understand the measurements. You will be very surprised to then realize that accurate, satisfying reproduction of music and movies in the home, is not as expensive or elusive as they wanted us to believe..

Again , thanks ASR..

Peace.

Last edited:

KellenVancouver

Satisfied, yes indeed. Only change I'll make in the future is to get rid of the Node 2i and upgrade to something that doesn't incur incessant software hassles. Other than that, charmed.

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
I am completely satisfied with my office setup, my main (living room) setup and now my portable setup. I don't feel the need to improve anything else. I mainly use headphones in my office and the final upgrade there was getting the Sennheiser HD 800 S headphones. I just finished my portable setup with the Hiby R6 Gen 3 DAP.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve followed your posts enough to comment. You have/had the very best audio offers. Maybe it’s time to just relax and help other people find their jam. :) You know what you like.

Indeed. Life circumstances means I'm probably done with audio purchases (except when my cartridge needs replacing). I still get to hear tons of fun stuff at my friend's place (he reviews audio gear) and I'm fortunate to live in a city with friendly dealers who allow listening sessions.

I helped a non-audiophile friend purchase some KEF LS50s, which he and his wife love. Now I have to convince them to actually get stands instead of putting them on a pair of bricks on the floor. So close, yet so far....

Robin L

Master Contributor
I play a lot of classical CDs and am very impressed at how good most of the sound of my system is, while different CDs sound noticeably different from each other. The gear is very inexpensive considering how well it works. It helps that I'm not aiming for high volume levels in a big room. At the same time, the speakers were only $30 as I bought them, in very good condition, at a thrift store. They're Infinity Primus 250s, 1 meter tall, 2-way skinny floorstanders. There's also a Sonus Son of Sub powered subwoofer, that was $50, used, a Yamaha RX-V461 5.1 AVR, $50, and a Sony BDP-BX57 Blue Ray player (SACD capable) that went for $8 used. Had to spend $10 to get for a remote for that. The most expensive part of the system (not counting all the headphones I bought) is the Topping E30 DAC and L30 headphone amp/preamp. The size and spread of the soundstage varies from recording to recording, violins sound both sweet and focused, nothing sticks out in the midrange. I'm happier with this system than with any system I've owned previously. I'd strongly recommend the two Topping pieces of gear to anyone looking for an outboard DAC and headphone amp/preamp.

Last edited:
Top Bottom