• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Comparison

Nydus

Found the problem with the XTZ 12.17 Edge. If I plug both sources in (Topping MX3S and Denon X1700H) the Subwoofer gets very quiet. If I use an Antimode in between it works. Very strange behavior. I contacted XTZ Support but till know they just asked some question and didn´t seem all that helpful or willing.

I also have an Arendal 1961 1V here. Sadly this one goes crazy on the grounding. As soon as my Graphics Card does some work (and even in idle a little) it gets a very very bad humming. Even with the Antimode in between nothing changes. Arendal Support is superb but I dont think they can help me with this one. So I´ll have to sell the Arendal it seems. :(

Edit: The Arendal support came trough for me. They suggested to tape over the grounds on the power cable from the 1961 and by god it worked perfectly. The homepage states that should not be an issue since the sub is also isolated on itself or something like that. I´m really happy now since the 1961 1V is endgame for my setup. I cant fit anything bigger and i dont think there is any subwoofer in white that would top this one for my 50m³ room. :)

Last edited:

sasmarso0

The price difference is practically nothing. I see the Kef is € 589 and the SVS is € 599 (oak version, gloss is € 699). So one would have to buy a miniDSP extra with the Kef. Personally I do everything (playback, EQ etc.) on a HTPC, so I would have no interest in in-built EQ.
Svs sb 1000 pro is 749€ here in Germany . Is that a normal msrp price or inflation price?

Nydus

Svs sb 1000 pro is 749€ here in Germany . Is that a normal msrp price or inflation price?
They raised prices some time ago and it was a substantial increase. For that price there are a lot of options. Depends what you want/need/can spend.

sasmarso0

Maybe, but not in EU. Only option was SVS for me after a bunch of reviews and readings here. But still, I would not paying 150€ more for something what is not meant to cost so much in this category. Any suggestions?

Nydus

How high is your ceiling? m³ is more important for subwoofers then m².

Nydus

That's a lot of room for that amount of money. Maybe the Klipsch R-115SW. It's not crazy great and the amp will most likely die but it's very good for the price. :)

sasmarso0

That's a lot of room for that amount of money. Maybe the Klipsch R-115SW. It's not crazy great and the amp will most likely die but it's very good for the price. :)
Not fan of a Klipsch. I could easily pair my passive speakers with Teufel if I wanted to but for 600€ I can find something better in world of Subs . So sb 1000 pro would be to weak as well because cost around 600?

Nydus

If you don't have anything to compare to the SB 1000 will be fine. But it will reach its limits much faster then a ported sub. I had one produce a nice bass but it had to be cranked so far for it that it bottomed out in some scenes. It is still good nonetheless and maybe with a bit of tweaking it will be good enough for you. A white Sub for 600€ is a bit tough. You could also look at BK subs. They are quality and maybe the P12-300SB-PR could be enough. Your room is not small and a small sub will reach its limits with it.

You could also try to pick up a used Sub from a premium brand with warranty on it. I know that Arendal gives second hand buyers full warranty. Don't know about XTZ or svs.

Or get a PB 1000 pro and put white foil on it.

sasmarso0

In Europe I would say that the Jamo C912 is a rather good buy, as you can get 2 for the same price as for example an SVS SB1000 and they will give you more or less the same output AND help fight room modes.
What about Canton Power sub12 (german made) ? Can someone do a measurements? Cost like Svs 1000 pro and it has more Watts.

Nydus

Ah yes Canton and their wonder subs. Going down to 20Hz with 200W AMP in a sealed sub lol

The subs are okayisch. Depending on what you get and what you expect. If it has to be Canton get the Sub 500 R. Dont take it the wrong way but I think you will be happy regardless of what you buy.

And before you think about two subs. Get one good sub and expand further down the line if you need more. 2 good subs for 500 to 700€ is a pretty tough call.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you think, can that amp pull 2 subwoofers of that power?
I'm not sure if it can handle two subs. It has a pre out for the sub, and assuming that you'd use some sort of splitter to connect two subs. I'd try one sub first before you dive into two as a push pull.

Curvature

Major Contributor

CTA-2010B for KEF KC62 here.

TheAVInsider

Hope there is an update coming to the awesome compilation spreadsheet so graciously shared here. If there is, I would love to see this added.
RSL 12S
Source
RSL 12S measurement.jpg

nat1

I'm more surprised by the variable high pass filter knob giving you a 24db/octave slope anywhere from 30-250hz. I wish more subwoofer manufacturers did this

Top Bottom