• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Comparison

Willem

Major Contributor
I would not try to save a few dollars in an otherwise ambitious system. Remember the HD does not measure that well either, so this one is likely to be worse. Also, apparently there is no REW support, although I don't know what that implies.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
right now i only have one subwoofer, the arendal sub2 (legacy/old one).
now i am thinking about in getting only the arendal 1723 1v as addition and keep the old one, i guess/hope that makes sense :p
It does. Please watch with care the video references by @Willem in this post. You may need a miniDSP 2x 4 to integrate the multiple (in your case 2) subs.

Peace.

Willem

Major Contributor
I would opt for the 1723 1s rather than the vented 1v, for an apparently better integration with your existing sealed (?) sub. As for dsp eq, you can start with the Audyssey that you have and that you know.

slacki

ok so i need the 2x4hd, got it ;)
to integrate the multiple (in your case 2) subs.
It will be 3 subs then, i made my decision in the last days, it will be two times the arendal 1723 s1 and my existing sub2 (also sealed but bigger)
i will try to use mso without minidsp on the s1's (they have some tuning functionality onboard), and use the minidsp only for the sub2
and when its finished, i might use audyssey for the last tuning

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ok so i need the 2x4hd, got it ;)

It will be 3 subs then, i made my decision in the last days, it will be two times the arendal 1723 s1 and my existing sub2 (also sealed but bigger)
i will try to use mso without minidsp on the s1's (they have some tuning functionality onboard), and use the minidsp only for the sub2
and when its finished, i might use audyssey for the last tuning

Don't! Don't rely on the subs inboard DSP. Disable it, use MSO and the miniDSP for all 3 subs... To paraphrase some late night commercial," You'll be glad you did) :)

Peace

slacki

ok but then i can not use the 4 sub outs of the marantz, means audyssey will only see one sub, is that correct?

and if thats correct, i am wondering why i should not go with DDRC-24, and use for the low frequencies dirac and, dont know, from 200hz+ audyssey, is something possible and better? not sure if ddrc-24 supports dirac bass management for multiple subs

Last edited:

tlkmx

Right? In Europe their subs have been on sale for months now, becoming ever cheaper. The 10" 2nd gen is down to 464€ by now, the 12" 2nd gen is down to 640€ (the SVS PB 2000 Pro costs 1349€ meanwhile ...), all including ~20% sales tax, free shipping and sometimes additional rebates on top. Many models are sold out most of the time, looks to me like they would sell well enough if they raised the prices.
where can you buy monoprice in europe ?

On a side note i've looked most of the post in the thread and having a similar rating as done in the monitor thread would be nice. Many people dont get clearly which subs they may need w size/price/availability and a clear best by price would do it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
where can you buy monoprice in europe ?

On a side note i've looked most of the post in the thread and having a similar rating as done in the monitor thread would be nice. Many people dont get clearly which subs they may need w size/price/availability and a clear best by price would do it.
Someone recently I thought just mentioned Monolith (the better quality part of the Monoprice lineup) was available in europe....and with a brief search https://www.monoprice.eu/collections/monolith

tlkmx

Eh? What do you mean by any out? as to why it would be something studio friendly or not?
I look at the back panel and there are only xlr and rca input.
most of the studio friendly sub i've seen have xlr/jack out from the sub

DevinCortno

Hey guys, do we know how accurate Brent Butterworth's numbers are?

I was looking to step down from one, giant 18" subwoofer to two Rythmik L12s. I'm trying to make sure I still have adequate headroom for my purposes by relating it to the closest comparable subwoofer we do have numbers for (Rythmik F12).

The CEA numbers for the F12 in the chart seem very high relative to its size & amplification... Audioholics had a Creative Sounds Solution SDX12 on there that tested lower than the Rythmik even though it had a 6,000 watt amp on it. SDX12, 91.1dB at 2 meters vs. 95dB for the F12. L12 is supposedly only 1dB below that.

Is this excellent result for the Rythmik some servo sub magic, or what?

Willem

Major Contributor
I could not tell you if Brent's numbers are any good, but I suspect they are. If you are troubled by headroom but are pondering dual subwoofers for a smother response, why don't you just keep your monster sub and add a smaller one (or even two) for that smoother response. Financially, selling gear is rarely attractive, and combining two dissimilar subs is not an issue: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/05/musings-measurements-subwoofers-to.html

DevinCortno

I could not tell you if Brent's numbers are any good, but I suspect they are. If you are troubled by headroom but are pondering dual subwoofers for a smother response, why don't you just keep your monster sub and add a smaller one (or even two) for that smoother response. Financially, selling gear is rarely attractive, and combining two dissimilar subs is not an issue: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/05/musings-measurements-subwoofers-to.html
We recently moved and have some new family additions, so the HT is going into quite a small, narrow room and volume levels are going to be drastically limited for several years now until the babies grow up. The 18" is so big I can't actually fit it on the front wall without offsetting the center to one side, and it's too tall to have the center sitting on top of it without mounting the TV bizarrely high on the wall.

The L12s are selling used local for a good price so it shouldn't be a big problem coming out ahead on the deal.

Checking the data-bass tests of Rythmiks against Rythmik's site, apparently 95dB is accurate. Rythmik says F18 is +7.5dB up at 20hz relative to the F12, FV25HP +17dB, FV18 +14dB... taking data-bass number's and subtracting Rythmik's relative performance claims you end up within 1-2 decibels of Brent's number... wow. Very impressive stuff. Can't wait to get the new subs.

Willem

Major Contributor
Ah nice. I liked having young children even if it was hard work. They are now in their twenties striving hard to make for a better world. One is soon to be a highly dynamic and ambitious primary school teacher, the other a trade union organizer and up and coming politician.
In your case you could either give up on subs for the time being, or store the monster sub and get two small ones, to be combined with the monster sub in due time. Just don't worry too much: the little kids are more fun.

DevinCortno

Ah nice. I liked having young children even if it was hard work. They are now in their twenties striving hard to make for a better world. One is soon to be a highly dynamic and ambitious primary school teacher, the other a trade union organizer and up and coming politician.
In your case you could either give up on subs for the time being, or store the monster sub and get two small ones, to be combined with the monster sub in due time. Just don't worry too much: the little kids are more fun.
this is why posting on forums is a bad idea... you guys are such a bad influence. Now I'm thinking of putting the two L12s on the front wall, then the 18 can go in the only spot in the room left for it... directly behind the couch, pointing towards it for maximum tactility in the bass... :cool:

And yes, being a parent has been rewarding so far. Very hard work for sure. It turns out I didn't even know what it was to be tired until now.

kiwifi

this is why posting on forums is a bad idea... you guys are such a bad influence. Now I'm thinking of putting the two L12s on the front wall, then the 18 can go in the only spot in the room left for it... directly behind the couch, pointing towards it for maximum tactility in the bass... :cool:

And yes, being a parent has been rewarding so far. Very hard work for sure. It turns out I didn't even know what it was to be tired until now.
If you face the subs towards a wall it might help protect them from the little fingers. Best of luck!

chang

That’s because REL’s marketing strategy has worked on many, unfortunately.

I have hope for newcomers, looking for best performance/dollar who’ll see my spreadsheet instead.
Glad I ran across this. What would you recommend for a music based system? I'm looking for SQ with a tad bit of thump for a medium sized space, which had me considering a B&W ASW608 / 610 or Emotiva SE8. Looking to stay between $300-$500. Thoughts?

Top Bottom