• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony SS-CS5 3-way Speaker Review

chad2

I think we can say that Sony SSCS5 seem more oriented for teenagers/students or anyone who live with some space and time limitations.
Some photos above seem coming from student's rooms.
Audiophiles have dedicated rooms for music listening. Audiophiles have enough time to dedicate exclusively to music listening.
Audiophiles are people that have enough time and space to dedicate exclusively to music listening. In a way it means having more than enough money.
When you have enough time and space exclusively for music listening then it is reasonable that you are going to spend big on audio gear.
(This is not to say that every single millionaire is an audiophile.. My guess is that most of them are not audiophiles)

Testing budget speakers against high end ones would require an audiophile listening room.

If you visit a student's room who owns a pair of SSCS5 you will not be impressed at all mainly because such speakers are gonna be placed just anywhere around the room. There will be all kind of furniture and stuff here and there. The floor will be whatever. Its gonna be messy and careless placement of speakers and there won't be a chair specific for music listening. Under such circumstances, it is hard to have a great listening experience even with much better speakers than these Sonys.
Probably the most ignorant long drawn out statement I have ever heard. basically you have to be rich and old to be an audiophile? No!!

skymusic20

Probably the most ignorant long drawn out statement I have ever heard. basically you have to be rich and old to be an audiophile? No!!
hahaha, didn't say you must be rich. Having limited time/space is not helpful though.

AudioLover73

I just bought a pair from Amazon for $88 to see what the hype was all about, and I don’t see how they can be called bright at all. They are very warm (not a good thing), even dark, just like how the downward right tilt in the frequency response graph indicates. They have no air, no sizzle. I’m comparing them to my NHT C3s, which sound far brighter (I love them!).

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought a pair from Amazon for $88 to see what the hype was all about, and I don’t see how they can be called bright at all. They are very warm, even dark, just like how the downward right tilt in the frequency response graph indicates. I’m comparing them to my NHT C3s, which sound far brighter (I love them!).
They have two tweeters, therefore they must sound bright. Just like cable, copper sounds warm (reddish color), silver more bright (shiny color). Analog warm, digital cold. And so on.

Such is the nature of sighted sound impressions and vivid imagination.

Top Bottom