• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony SS-CS5 3-way Speaker Review

chad2

this is how my sscs5's look now, but i plan on staining and epoxy coating them also.

Attachments

• image_81146 (1).jpg
    image_81146 (1).jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 545
  • image_81147 (1).jpg
    image_81147 (1).jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 526
  • image_81148 (1).jpg
    image_81148 (1).jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Time to bring closure to my rocky road to modding the Sony's. It was a perfectly good idea--take out the woofer and crossover board, add some inductance to the woofer coil to bring down the 1100 kHz peak that was obscuring lower treble detail, and put everything back together. The mod worked fine. It was the take out--put back together part that didn't. My problems are detailed in earlier posts. Sony obviously didn't want anyone poking around inside, and I will certainly never do it again. I did learn some things in the process:

Crossover topology: The woofer circuit consists of a 1.1 mH series coil followed by a 2.2 Ohm resistor and 10 uF cap to ground. So it's second order electrical, as are the other driver circuits. The main tweeter uses a high pass filter consisting of a 4.7 uF series cap followed by a .68 mH parallel coil. There is no low pass filter to roll the tweeter off at the top. It runs full range and the super tweeter is simply spliced on with a 2.2 Ohm series resister, a 86 uF series cap and a .27 mH parallel coil. The super tweeter has very little operating range. Here is the stock system response with and without the super tweeter.

Sony with Stock Crossover.png

Sony No Super Tweeter.png

The super tweeter itself has a fairly wide and smooth response. I tried rolling off the main tweeter to allow a greater operating range for the super, but there was no way to avoid a nasty peak in the lower treble using a reasonable number of components. Here's the raw super tweeter response:

Sony Super Tweeter.png

Finally, here is the response with the woofer mod in place. I could have flattened things out more with trap circuits, but this wasn't that kind of project:
Sony With Woofer Mod.png

One result that surprised me was the stock Sony's extremely smooth horizontal off-axis response (except for the woofer peak). The on-axis response, both with and without the mod, has some pesky diffraction dips caused by the sharp edges on the tweeter-super tweeter sub baffle. But as soon as you move a little of axis, those go away completely. Here's the response at 20 Deg off axis :

Sony SS CS55 20 Deg Off Axis.png

And at 75 Degrees:
Sony SS CS55 75 Deg Off Axis.png

Finally, after spending a great deal of time listening to the stock version, I do feel the need to comment on Amir's headless panther rating. Although the treble doesn't really measure bright, I agree that the overall presentation can be a bit tizzy due to the lack of bass foundation. The above measurements were done with Praxis, which transitions from anechoic to a room measurement at around 300 Hz and below. Most speakers measured in my room show a 70 Hz peak that is close in level to the midrange response or a few dB higher. You can see how far down that 70 Hz peak is in the first plot I posted above. By comparison, here's the response for my Affordable Accuracy Plus kit made in the same room:

AA+ On Axis with Straws.png

So, I certainly wouldn't award the Sony's a golf-swinging panther rating, but I preferred them to other budget entries I've heard, including the Pioneer BS-22. It's a clever design that works better than I would have thought, and could be easily modded into something exceptional if Sony hadn't glued everything in.

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Time to bring closure to my rocky road to modding the Sony's. It was a perfectly good idea--take out the woofer and crossover board, add some inductance to the woofer coil to bring down the 1100 kHz peak that was obscuring lower treble detail, and put everything back together. The mod worked fine. It was the take out--put back together part that didn't. My problems are detailed in earlier posts. Sony obviously didn't want anyone poking around inside, and I will certainly never do it again. I did learn some things in the process:

Crossover topology: The woofer circuit consists of a 1.1 mH series coil followed by a 2.2 Ohm resistor and 10 uF cap to ground. So it's second order electrical, as are the other driver circuits. The main tweeter uses a high pass filter consisting of a 4.7 uF series cap followed by a .68 mH parallel coil. There is no low pass filter to roll the tweeter off at the top. It runs full range and the super tweeter is simply spliced on with a 2.2 Ohm series resister, a 86 uF series cap and a .27 mH parallel coil. The super tweeter has very little operating range. Here is the stock system response with and without the super tweeter.

View attachment 137934
View attachment 137942
The super tweeter itself has a fairly wide and smooth response. I tried rolling off the main tweeter to allow a greater operating range for the super, but there was no way to avoid a nasty peak in the lower treble using a reasonable number of components. Here's the raw super tweeter response:

View attachment 137943
Finally, here is the response with the woofer mod in place. I could have flattened things out more with trap circuits, but this wasn't that kind of project:
View attachment 137945

One result that surprised me was the stock Sony's extremely smooth horizontal off-axis response (except for the woofer peak). The on-axis response, both with and without the mod, has some pesky diffraction dips caused by the sharp edges on the tweeter-super tweeter sub baffle. But as soon as you move a little of axis, those go away completely. Here's the response at 20 Deg off axis :

View attachment 137958

And at 75 Degrees:
View attachment 137960

Finally, after spending a great deal of time listening to the stock version, I do feel the need to comment on Amir's headless panther rating. Although the treble doesn't really measure bright, I agree that the overall presentation can be a bit tizzy due to the lack of bass foundation. The above measurements were done with Praxis, which transitions from anechoic to a room measurement at around 300 Hz and below. Most speakers measured in my room show a 70 Hz peak that is close in level to the midrange response or a few dB higher. You can see how far down that 70 Hz peak is in the first plot I posted above. By comparison, here's the response for my Affordable Accuracy Plus kit made in the same room:

View attachment 137962
So, I certainly wouldn't award the Sony's a golf-swinging panther rating, but I preferred them to other budget entries I've heard, including the Pioneer BS-22. It's a clever design that works better than I would have thought, and could be easily modded into something exceptional if Sony hadn't glued everything in.

Objectively, they're quite comparable to the Pioneer BS-22 I think, both in terms of performance(measurements) and price, though measurements don't really affect the panther score. I think perhaps Amir was just having a bad day that day. That or the (imo) somewhat snake oil super-tweeter biased him against it :p. I also think it can be tough to evaluate the value of extremely cheap $100/pair speakers like this. They often just sound bad, and it's tough to differentiate between "bad in comparison to other $100/pair speakers" and "bad in comparison to the other speakers I've heard". I think this value assessment is something that Amir has gotten much better at as time has passed.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In terms of value I don't think there is any question that this speaker excels. When I listened to them in a BB store several years ago I was impressed by the dispersion in high frequency, which I liked and which stood in sharp contrast with the Klipsch sitting next to it. With the Klipsch, there was a very obvious loss of treble if you moved just slightly off axis. With the SS-CS5 there was very little noticeable loss of treble when you moved off axis. Certainly this little speaker had an upper-frequency emphasis, but I'm not convinced that it has to do with anything other than the early bass rolloff. I recall listening to the tower version that has two of those same woofers (apparently) and it sounded very different. In fact I recall that it sounded very natural to me, without the treble emphasis. For people who don't much care for bass, the tower version would likely be a good speaker by itself. For people who need stronger bass, the tower version supplemented by a good subwoofer (probably not the cheap one that you see at BB next to the speaker) would likely be all that most people need. That's what I'd probably do, and I wouldn't pay any attention to that little hill at 1.1 kHz unless it became a distraction. If it became a distraction I'd probably add a notch filter, although to be effective two would probably be ideal, one series and one parallel. Although, the reason for buying this kind of speaker is to avoid spending money, and as soon as you start modifying it you find yourself asking why you didn't buy a better speaker in the first place. Anyhow, for anyone inclined toward this speaker but not liking the treble emphasis, I suggest having a listen to the tower version.

skymusic20

View attachment 137934
View attachment 137942

View attachment 137943
View attachment 137945

View attachment 137958

And at 75 Degrees:
View attachment 137960

View attachment 137962

Wow, thats a lot of work and I appreciate all the info.

I admit Im basically ignorant so Im trying to understand all these graphs.

From what I can see, in first two graphs, it seems the super tweeter contributes very little. Above 15Khz what can you find?

I actually wonder what is the contribution of the super tweeter? When you say it has a very wide and smooth response, what does that mean?

Do you think if you completely disconnect the super tweeter can you hear a difference?

I mean, taking out the super, would these speaker be the same?

Three way bookshelf speakers seem rare to find, I wonder why.

I wonder why Sony did not put a 6" or 6.5" woofer. I guess that would have been better. It might increase the cost but perhaps not much.

I have these speakers and love them.

I find myself wondering how much the super tweeter contributes to my liking of these speakers.

Thanks!

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Wow, thats a lot of work and I appreciate all the info.

I admit Im basically ignorant so Im trying to understand all these graphs.

From what I can see, in first two graphs, it seems the super tweeter contributes very little. Above 15Khz what can you find?

I actually wonder what is the contribution of the super tweeter? When you say it has a very wide and smooth response, what does that mean?

Do you think if you completely disconnect the super tweeter can you hear a difference?

I mean, taking out the super, would these speaker be the same?

Three way bookshelf speakers seem rare to find, I wonder why.

I wonder why Sony did not put a 6" or 6.5" woofer. I guess that would have been better. It might increase the cost but perhaps not much.

I have these speakers and love them.

I find myself wondering how much the super tweeter contributes to my liking of these speakers.

Thanks!
The super tweeter is adding output above 12,000 Hz. It probably does add some air to the upper treble. And it needs to because the main tweeter starts falling off there. A few extra dollars on a main tweeter would have been a better approach than throwing in an extra driver, but Sony has an active marketing department. The graph showing the full operating range of the super tweeter was made with no crossover in place. That's not the output once the tiny capacitor and ground coil are in place. You can see what that response curve looks like in the first graph--it's the green plot to the far right. Budget 3-ways are hard to find because they would be too expensive to implement properly. You would need a larger dedicated midrange that could operate low enough to avoid running the woofer to the point where it starts to beam, and a proper low pass filter on the mid to achieve an optimal blend with the tweeter. The Sony is basically a 2-way with an extra tweeter thrown in without a low-pass filter on the main tweeter. Sony didn't use a larger woofer because that would have required a larger cabinet and priced it out of the target market segment.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The super tweeter is adding output above 12,000 Hz. It probably does add some air to the upper treble. And it needs to because the main tweeter starts falling off there. A few extra dollars on a main tweeter would have been a better approach than throwing in an extra driver, but Sony has an active marketing department. The graph showing the full operating range of the super tweeter was made with no crossover in place. That's not the output once the tiny capacitor and ground coil are in place. You can see what that response curve looks like in the first graph--it's the green plot to the far right. Budget 3-ways are hard to find because they would be too expensive to implement properly. You would need a larger dedicated midrange that could operate low enough to avoid running the woofer to the point where it starts to beam, and a proper low pass filter on the mid to achieve an optimal blend with the tweeter. The Sony is basically a 2-way with an extra tweeter thrown in without a low-pass filter on the main tweeter. Sony didn't use a larger woofer because that would have required a larger cabinet and priced it out of the target market segment.

Of course, all those perfectly sensible considerations didn't stop the relentless Danny Richie from offering a radically redesigned crossover as part of one of his pricey mod kits -- imagine spending $200-300 to improve a pair of speakers currently going for $83/pair on sale and then being confronted with a particularly aggravating DIY job involving a glued-in woofer trim ring!

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

View attachment 137934
View attachment 137942

View attachment 137943
View attachment 137945

View attachment 137958

And at 75 Degrees:
View attachment 137960

View attachment 137962
Howdy I apologize if I missed it, what is the change in the woofer crossover circuit post modification?
The results of the measurement post mod look good.
I am interested in trying it, of course I could likely just apply some PEQ.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Its that time of the year again. Time to throw my worthless opinion about something I have experience with.

I can honestly understand the ho humm ratings for this. Its a speaker. It does its job. Will work for years, and does it at a price point ANYONE can Afford. Props to Sony for that. ANY KID will LOVE this speaker as his first set.

the only reason I ever recommend the speaker's is when someone else is looking for a pair of speakers.
Suited for budget home theater 2.1 + 5.1 setups.

the best way I can describe these to just about everybody who will get it ?
-Imagine someone who had a car without a stereo.
-Now imagine someone who got a new car with a "premium Factory stereo"

To envision this? I give you the Toyota Tercel FAN CLUB!
1636221631056.png

It something that did its job. Sold well. Was used till it broke. And then was replaced without any fan faire.
it's basically the first car of speakers. pretty much what the Polk R15 use to be to everyone. It got you where you need to go. Was a great value, and did sound good but had it faults such as a crossover that was too low for the Fs of the tweeter, but most people never noticed.
1636222686693.png

The Sony SSCS-5 is the same. Introduced for the way people at the time of its introduction consumed media at its launch. The highs being as they are represent the normal Bluetooth standard of the day, where the highs are a bit muted on top. So the boosted high end is understandable. Rarely will you ever find people in a listening chair with the Sony SSCS-5's.

We all like to think that these will be in some layout that we see on TV, in a comercial, or IKEA... Yea..
Stock image of the people who will be buying this speaker bellow from a $2000 a month apartment.
a31687c7e3af8fd02d0faa133985a239-p_e.jpg

At best? This is where these speakers will be used:
9eca32-20190423-rooming-house-02.jpg

Different from the Rosey eyed view when you search typical American apartment:
1636224037117.png

I mean if you take a look at what people are really working with? Notice the the furniture in this photo probably cost around $10,000.
Model_Living_Room_at_Sandy_28_Apartments_in_Portland_OR.jpg

This is about the space people have to work with. Not this:
Beautiful-small-white-living-room-blends-monochromatic-beauty-with-modernity-53868.jpg

THIS ABOVE IS A WETT DREAM for people who are going to be Purchasing this speaker.

Your average Room of most people.
image.jpg

Then you have your Typical Buyer:
jessie-cardinal-smith-lives-this-rooming-house-nea.jpg

With her typical place she resides in. (Man not included)
p749717739-6.jpg

Basically, the people who Sony is marketing to live here in their studio:
(From Wikipedia)
images

SONY is HONEST about it...
1636225823660.png

Amazon tried to tell you, these are best for surround speakers. And don't wire them up either. Just look at them!
And place them in your Waiting room you you built just for photo shoot! LOL!
816beuVAwGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Even this is a BEST CASE scenario for the typical person who buys these. (Just way less clutter)
cba3d59715e1743c66e6c022deb5f1c0.jpg

Even the BUDGET Audiophiles of Reddit who must be Bitcoin Millionaires I am sure show the same sort of setup:
1636226224272.png

Hard to beat says one Best buy proud owner:
1636226389082.png

Really nice setup! GREAT Near field I'm sure.
images

What I'm trying to get across is that when your review cheap speakers like this? You are judgeing them on this metric:
sony-feature-1.jpg

When this is the reality of where they are going to be used:
(Imagine the measurements!)
nats-desk.jpg

Above average:

Reviews on how a speaker performs in measurements is kind of moot for most people. Even Sony does not bother to wire them up to showcase them. LOL....

All I'm saying is... You have to have some expectations... And ours are a bit higher if we had our way.
1636227905529.png

The entire reason why I bring this up is that just because someone who listens to speakers and tests them gives them a pass? Does not mean you will not enjoy them as is. 99% of you will like how they sound for you.
So take someone review of what a speaker sounds like to one person with a grain of salt. Your ears are on their ears, and so forth. Neither do they have the same room or requirements. Not to mention know how, background or budget.

These speakers are as of 2021, November, are about $80 bucks shipped to your door.
Let me remind you that for $80 bucks you could also get a DIY Kit...
1636228978402.png

Or this one:
1636229177843.png

Pretty good value for a speaker you don't have to put together IMO..

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I thought the one picture with the towers was funny. That speaker setup was at least $275 and he hooked up to the worlds cheapest sony bookshelf system that was found at his local thrift store.

I used to be big into Onkyo, always wanted one myself but thesedays HA. I picked up a trashed onkyo tx-sr606 a few years ago for $30. It all worked surpisely. The damn relay clicks. Slient signal, click. You those ads on discs, imagine a click between each one. Want to enjoy a CD after watching a movie on the same device, click. Switching dsps, click. Mind these damn units sell for $100 used still.

Initally, that was gonna be my fathers receiver but I am glad its not. Years later he wanted to get into HT again and I was tasked to find a new onkyo for around $300 (Thats what he wanted). I managed to find a onkyo tx-sr494. Decent power, modern formats, etc. My father loved it, but a few months later he mentioned that it clicks. For example, when he watches cable (through wifi) and the wifi signal gets a little lost, it goes from 5.1 to stereo, and when the onkyo sees this, it clicks. It also has the slient signal click too. I would say its not as bad as my old junky onkyo but its still annoying.

I used to own a pair of sony sscs5. Little bright and lacked bass, similar to a realistic minimis 7.
Eventually, got another pair, the center, and the up firing module things. I later sold them to my father for $200 together. I became more of a polk guy, from (fronts) Polk RTI6s to now Polk S55's. I consider the T series to be mostly bad for the money. For the price of a new T series product, you could get at least a used TSI product.

gks333

First time poster and using it on the Sony SS-CS5 that I feel I must defend. Anyways, I bought these about 2 months ago to replace my Pioneer SP-22’s in my garage. It was a welcome improvement in the highs and mids. I am running these with 2 cheap 10” subs (Elac and Energy) powered by a cheap Onkyo rcvr. I am sensitive to highs so I like a neutral to warmish speaker or I would just eq that speaker like the Focal 826V/800CC that I lived with and enjoyed very much for over 8yrs. Bought the SP-21’s before the SP-22’s and the 22’s had a bit better midrange and slightly better highs but very similar. Before the SP-21’s I had Moudant short Carnival in the garage and they did just fine.

Side note, I am a proud new owner of Revel F208, C208 and S206 shored up with 3 SVS-PB3000’s and 1 SVS PC13 ultra with anthem AVM60/MCA 525. Even as great as my home theater is (to me, in a “real world environment” in large part thanks to REW), these Sony SS-CS5 speakers sound good compared to my Revel/SVS despite them being severely disadvantaged (price/quality, environment 24X24 garage, front end etc). A true unicorn for the $$$ IMHO.
garage audio.jpg

garage audio1.jpg
HT nov 2021_5.jpg
HT nov 2021_.jpg

Chaconne

Purely on a lark, I stuffed, in slap-dash fashion, a bunch of felt strips on the grilles around the tweeter and super-tweeter of my SS-CS5s to see what would happen. After just a few minutes of listening, this seemed to tame the high frequencies quite nicely. I'm still not sure whether or not psychoacoustics are at work here, but my efforts at least seem promising.

skymusic20

I think we can say that Sony SSCS5 seem more oriented for teenagers/students or anyone who live with some space and time limitations.
Some photos above seem coming from student's rooms.
Audiophiles have dedicated rooms for music listening. Audiophiles have enough time to dedicate exclusively to music listening.
Audiophiles are people that have enough time and space to dedicate exclusively to music listening. In a way it means having more than enough money.
When you have enough time and space exclusively for music listening then it is reasonable that you are going to spend big on audio gear.
(This is not to say that every single millionaire is an audiophile.. My guess is that most of them are not audiophiles)

Testing budget speakers against high end ones would require an audiophile listening room.

If you visit a student's room who owns a pair of SSCS5 you will not be impressed at all mainly because such speakers are gonna be placed just anywhere around the room. There will be all kind of furniture and stuff here and there. The floor will be whatever. Its gonna be messy and careless placement of speakers and there won't be a chair specific for music listening. Under such circumstances, it is hard to have a great listening experience even with much better speakers than these Sonys.

chad2

I think we can say that Sony SSCS5 seem more oriented for teenagers/students or anyone who live with some space and time limitations.
Some photos above seem coming from student's rooms.
Audiophiles have dedicated rooms for music listening. Audiophiles have enough time to dedicate exclusively to music listening.
Audiophiles are people that have enough time and space to dedicate exclusively to music listening. In a way it means having more than enough money.
When you have enough time and space exclusively for music listening then it is reasonable that you are going to spend big on audio gear.
(This is not to say that every single millionaire is an audiophile.. My guess is that most of them are not audiophiles)

Testing budget speakers against high end ones would require an audiophile listening room.

If you visit a student's room who owns a pair of SSCS5 you will not be impressed at all mainly because such speakers are gonna be placed just anywhere around the room. There will be all kind of furniture and stuff here and there. The floor will be whatever. Its gonna be messy and careless placement of speakers and there won't be a chair specific for music listening. Under such circumstances, it is hard to have a great listening experience even with much better speakers than these Sonys.
Probably the most ignorant long drawn out statement I have ever heard. basically you have to be rich and old to be an audiophile? No!!

Top Bottom