• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL A100 (ma 12070)

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@SMSL-Mandy

@SMSL_Liu,

Can you answer us please?

alekksander

is it smsl for sure? because it has quite a nice design…

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
No phones out. Seems SMSL just can't replace my old SAD-01. 10W tritpth, DAC, phones, aux in.

At this price point which DAC chip does not matter. It is the execution. It will not be great as it is a sub $100 COMPLETE system. Don't expect the find the DAC from a D30pro. Expect it to be what you find in a dongle.

Nocturnal-G

Please do...Also if it's possible check the sub out too..
No phones out. Seems SMSL just can't replace my old SAD-01. 10W tritpth, DAC, phones, aux in.

At this price point which DAC chip does not matter. It is the execution. It will not be great as it is a sub $100 COMPLETE system. Don't expect the find the DAC from a D30pro. Expect it to be what you find in a dongle.

If it’s anywhere near the quality of the Apple lightning dongle DAC… I’ll be happy

dhuizenga

I bought it for my home office. Mostly because its easy to switch from my work laptop to my computer. Laptop is on bluetooth computer is via dac.
first impressions
volume control is feels nice
sounds better then my old amplifier (Wondom Class D JAB3-50)
keeps volume setting after power out.
has alot of power.
my speaker cables fit but i think its the maximum 1.5 mm²

Its mostly used for Teams meetings and background music. Will connect subwoofer sometimes are now connect to audio orbs in picture

IMG_20220121_093648.jpg

Last edited:

Nocturnal-G

Just a little update… I received the amp, need to order some speaker cable now… might DIY it. Might not, I’ll keep everyone posted on how it sounds when I have everything set up.

s0nix

Hello,

Today I have received the amp, first impressions are very positive.
Really good and solid build quality, easy controls, no annoying bright LED's. Bluetooth works fine, good stable connection.
I currently have this on my desk and I'm using the Dali Spektor 1 speakers in combination with the XTZ 8.17 subwoofer. USB cable was in the box so connection to the PC was possible in no time, sound quality and volume is very good for such inefficient speakers (83 dB!!!). Gets plenty loud in a small-medium room. Sub out works fine too. I think I would miss a remote but for such a price I cant really complain, a good product overall. I would recommend trying. :)

Attachments

• image00001.jpeg
    image00001.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 345
  • image00002.jpeg
    image00002.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 299
  • image00004.jpeg
    image00004.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 286
  • image00005.jpeg
    image00005.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
OP
A

AntGom

Hello,

Today I have received the amp, first impressions are very positive.
Really good and solid build quality, easy controls, no annoying bright LED's. Bluetooth works fine, good stable connection.
I currently have this on my desk and I'm using the Dali Spektor 1 speakers in combination with the XTZ 8.17 subwoofer. USB cable was in the box so connection to the PC was possible in no time, sound quality and volume is very good for such inefficient speakers (83 dB!!!). Gets plenty loud in a small-medium room. Sub out works fine too. I think I would miss a remote but for such a price I cant really complain, a good product overall. I would recommend trying. :)
I am also looking for xtz 8.17 sub for the last two months but is sold out...

A.T.E.

dhuizenga, s0nix,​

How does the volume knob feel? Is it handy to turn as it is kind of "pushed" inside the body of the ampifier?
Also, I see that there is a couple of lights on the top (mute and input selection): as I understand that this amplifier is designed to stay switched on all the time, are these lights strong, disturbing, etc.?

s0nix

dhuizenga, s0nix,​

How does the volume knob feel? Is it handy to turn as it is kind of "pushed" inside the body of the ampifier?
Also, I see that there is a couple of lights on the top (mute and input selection): as I understand that this amplifier is designed to stay switched on all the time, are these lights strong, disturbing, etc.?
Yeah the knob is pushed into the body so I turn it with one finger from the top. It feels pretty good and its made of metal I think, because it's cold to the touch.
Yes, as far as I understand there's no standby, so the light is on all the time, for me it's not disturbing at all since the light is very small and not particularly bright. When I turn the PC off I also turn off the amp by using the on/off switch on the back.

I just picked one of these up to compare it to an A-S501 hopefully to clear up some desktop space. I have it in the following chain
Sound Source > AXP-1 > Topping E30 > SMSL A100 > LS50/JBL 550P in a smaller terribly shaped room. It is slated to be tested by Amir in the next month or so and I curious if I can subjectively notice any issues before it gets tested.

Overall the quality feels reasonable for what it is. The speaker terminals are flimsier than I would like, but work for the size constraints. The knob feels good if not a little sensitive in the chain. "Off" is 7 O'clock, 8 is comfortable, 9 is about max of near field, after that is further than where it would normally go. When the dial is all the way "off" there is still some volume, but there is a mute button. It is plenty loud for my uses. I think there is a slight channel imbalance very low, but that may be placement too.

svinyard

Ah if only it had a remote.

Is there an alternative option that has bluetooth & a remote but is cheaper than the Loxjie A30? I've seen the SMSL SA300 but it very likely is too ugly for my wife to approve.

Nocturnal-G

Ah if only it had a remote.

Is there an alternative option that has bluetooth & a remote but is cheaper than the Loxjie A30? I've seen the SMSL SA300 but it very likely is too ugly for my wife to approve.

Try the Aiyima D03… I don’t have any experience with it but it has Bluetooth and a remote.

baszek

I am using right now some BRZHIFI TPA3255 amplifier with POLK Audio S15 speakers. It's very small room and I have no place to switch to bigger speakers. I am still thinking of adding some subwoofer, but I have no sub out in my TPA3255 amp.

Maybe it would good idea to switch my amp to sth like this SMSL A100 - I guess all amps based on MA12070 are having sub out.
Do you think that this SMSL A100 might be good replacement for my TPA3255? I heard that TPA3255 is superior to MA12070, but I might be wrong (for sure TPA3255 has got more power).

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am using right now some BRZHIFI TPA3255 amplifier with POLK Audio S15 speakers. It's very small room and I have no place to switch to bigger speakers. I am still thinking of adding some subwoofer, but I have no sub out in my TPA3255 amp.

Maybe it would good idea to switch my amp to sth like this SMSL A100 - I guess all amps based on MA12070 are having sub out.
Do you think that this SMSL A100 might be good replacement for my TPA3255? I heard that TPA3255 is superior to MA12070, but I might be wrong (for sure TPA3255 has got more power).

On paper maybe the TPA3255 is superior.

But in fact, apart from more power, it is not certain that it is superior to the MA12070. I own 2 TPA3255s and I much prefer my Sabaj A20a amp.

I know other people who have both and their preferences go to the MA12070.

There is also the Topping PA3S that a friend has and he loves it (he have 2 TPA3255).

Last edited:

svinyard

Try the Aiyima D03… I don’t have any experience with it but it has Bluetooth and a remote.
Hey hows that SMSL A100 doing? I bought one as well.

Connecting it to Fluance RT82 turntable (Art preamp) and then out to two of these ELAC center speakers (running as stereo sides). In a 35-20 living room. Hoping it works out and pushes enough power to those speakers to sound nice.

Nocturnal-G

Hey hows that SMSL A100 doing? I bought one as well.

Connecting it to Fluance RT82 turntable (Art preamp) and then out to two of these ELAC center speakers (running as stereo sides). In a 35-20 living room. Hoping it works out and pushes enough power to those speakers to sound nice.

I actually bought the A100 for a friend... I'm going to be setting everything up in the next few days, I'll def post a review and thoughts.

Going to be an ELAC Miracord 50 > SMSL A100 > Sony Core 5 speakers, everything is brand new so probably need to break everything in as well.

Top Bottom