• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO400 Fully Balanced Audio Decoder & Headphone Amplifier

davidorff

I've been using firmware version 1V0A3 for a few days but it did not fix my crackling/popping noises. Curious if that issue is solved for others or perhaps I may have a bad unit.

I will guide you by assuming that XMOS driver is installed.

1. After you run Windows Task Manager
Finish process 'USB Audio Class Driver Control Panel'.

2. Run the Explorer and go to this folder.
C:\Program Files\XMOS\XMOS_Audio_Driver\x64

3. Open the file 'XMOSUSBDACCpl.xml' as a notepad (or wordpad)

4. Search (Ctrl + F) to find the keyword 'Pageoptions'

2023-11-19_174830.jpg

5. You can see it in the screenshot
<Visibility>Hidden</Visibility>
Please change this as below and save it.
<Visibility>Visible</Visibility>

6. Run the XMOS control panel.

bandicam 2023-08-27 17-43-48-685.png

Change to 'Always On' like a screenshot and exit.

7. Please check if the crackling/popping are fixed and report to the forum. Good luck!

Hi all

No issues before, but with the last night update which I performed successfully ( version VA03), a new issue raised (never had any crackling aside tuning off and on the do400): a very LOUD POPPING Noise is sent (via XLR out at least) to my speakers, risking damage to my active ones, WHEN I switch to USB input (via remote. I am afraid to try switching by direct choosing the USB input, not via sequential switching via remote) as I don't have an attenuator in between.

Very frustrating and very dangerous. What happened guys?

Have you ever experienced that?

Cheers

FinalFostex

I changed the 'XMOSUSBDACCpl.xml' file and have the XMOX streaming set to 'Always On' but the crackling/popping noises continue to happen.

iTuner

Windows 11 Pro 23H2 22631.2715 | XMOS Driver 5.58.0 | Firmware 1V0A3

CyberLink PowerDVD 22 - WASAPI Exclusive - crackling!
CyberLink PowerDVD 22 - WASAPI Windows Default - OK!
Roon - WASAPI Exclusive - playback failure!
Roon - WASAPI Windows Default - OK!
Roon - ASIO - OK!
Roon - ALSA - OK!
AIMP - WASAPI Exclusive - OK!
AIMP - WASAPI Windows Default - OK!
AIMP - ASIO - OK!
Foobar2000 - All OK!

Last edited:

djlotfi

Hello,
i received this new dac today, fantastic sound, its a step (or three :rolleyes:) above my Audiolab 6000A internal DAC , but after few hours of testing, everything worked fine exept the "Filter off" option, the unit works fine with all filters, but when i switch to no filter, the sound go loud and become harch and super distorted, like a the distortion guitar effect, it was horrible, the only way to fix it is to disable fixed volume of my streamer reduce it to 50 or 60%, does any one know tis issue, i am super disapointed because i liked the sound very much , ithink its defective, i will return it.

any advice for a good reliable DAc with the same sound quality and in a range price of 500€-700€ ( no Topping no SMSL anymore)

Last edited:

iTuner

Hello,
i received this new dac today, fantastic sound, its a step (or three :rolleyes:) above my Audiolab 6000A internal DAC , but after few hours of testing, everything worked fine exept the "Filter off" option, the unit works fine with all filters, but when i switch to no filter, the sound go loud and become harch and super distorted, like a the distortion guitar effect, it was horrible, the only way to fix it is to disable fixed volume of my streamer reduce it to 50 or 60%, does any one know tis issue, i am super disapointed because i liked the sound very much , ithink its defective, i will return it.

any advice for a good reliable DAc with the same sound quality and in a range price of 500€-700€ ( no Topping no SMSL anymore)
Your amplifier probably does not support high input voltage.
Input Sensitivity: 720mV (Line, Volume = 0dB)
In the DO400 menu, turn on Variable PRE MODE and set the volume level to -3 dB (possibly even lower) or do not use the “Filter OFF” mode.

Yaakov

Please tell me how critical is the difference of this amplifier with Topping L70 or SMSL HO200, If the headphones are connected to the balance?
I have this dac-amp and HiFiMan Ananda, I like everything very much, but without comparison somehow there is no certainty that the choice is final.
Many people think that the amplifier was not very good here, but for some reason it didn't seem that way to me.

pundel

the fact is that the amplifier here is good compared to the old ones, but compared to the new ones it lags behind

David_M

Do you recommend upgrading to the new 1V0A3 firmware? Is it worth it and/or stable enough to do so?

pundel

I can't say for sure, but I haven't had any crackles since the day the firmware was installed, so I think this fixes the bugs.

FinalFostex

I've finally solved my popping noise issue! In Windows 11 Device Manager, go to "Universal Serial Bus controllers". For each item, go to Properties, Power Management and uncheck the "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" checkbox. Also choose a High Performance power plan in Control Panel Power Options.

Alp

I just posted at DO300 thread, but since I am leaning to do400 instead, maybe you could give an advice?

Update: after some research I changed my preference away from DO400, so please ignore the above

Last edited:

sailor2005

I just posted at DO300 thread, but since I am leaning to do400 instead, maybe you could give an advice?

Update: after some research I changed my preference away from DO400, so please ignore the above
Can you share what made you change your mind about the DO400?

David_M

BTW, for DO400 owners (like me:)), please see the noise and distortion plots of the 4mm and 6.35mm HA outputs here. Russian language but easily translated into English by any modern web browser.

1702879989567.png

1702880179320.png

Eye-opening to see how the 6.35mm output measures significantly worse than the 4mm output. Granted, it's hard to compare these measurements with those from other amplifiers as no one ever measures noise and distortion specs from HA outputs, just power vs distortion curves. I defaulted to the 6.35mm since the adapters that came with the DO400 were 6.35mm. Maybe it's time to switch over to the cleaner 4mm outputs...

More measurements are at the link here.

Last edited:

Longfellow78

Please can someone assist regarding the firmware update. Instructions reference using a "micro USB" where/what/how is this port please? I only see the normal USB B socket? Thanks.

iTuner

Use the existing USB-B connector.
Also note, if during the update the program displays an error message, do not disconnect, but click “Start Program” again.

derKoekje

Is this the best value right now? Struggling between this, the Loxjie D40 Pro, Fiio K9 and the Topping DX5.

Top Bottom