• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Yamaha RX-A1080 AVR

Ataraxia

I have heard one of the Aventage line receivers also, And Yamaha's most entry level receiver.

Neither sound less than very good in any way.

We may be caught in the expectations that measurements are more important than they are, linked directly to sound quality, in all regards.

Cool you quoted my over two year old post. :)

I've kept the same impression about my A2080, it's still running my R3's, sounding very very good. I always run YPAO which clears up the image very well IMO.

My new setup is LS50 Metas driven by PC Tidal or Musicbee FLAC > USB Schiit Modi 3+ > Emotiva BasX A-100 > LS50 Metas. Sounds excellent nearfield on my desk. Emotiva A-100 being another mediocre measuring amp that sounds excellent to me.

Abut the posts regarding power and current above, I hope Amir is making some progress on getting those tests figured out.

Blew

I have owned many a Yamaha.. RX-V1500, 1800, 1900, 1075, and an RX-A3060 and my experience differs substantially from yours. I still have the last 3 in play and there is no sound difference between Pure Direct and using bass management only except for more weight in the bottom end because of the sub in play. Thats it. It would appear that the A820 wasn't properly configured. The only receiver I could not setup like this and make an instantaneous comparison was with the RX-V1500 which only had memory setting.
Does this mean that the subwoofer crossover setting does not work in Pure Direct mode on these Yamaha amps? I have tested this on an old RX-V471 and unfortunately this is the case on that model, but I'm hoping it's not the case on the 10xx and above models

I am interested to know this because it works on the Marantz Amos in Pure Direct mode, and I presume Denon is the same. I guess the crossover is done in the analog realm on these.

rccarguy

Does this mean that the subwoofer crossover setting does not work in Pure Direct mode on these Yamaha amps? I have tested this on an old RX-V471 and unfortunately this is the case on that model, but I'm hoping it's not the case on the 10xx and above models

I am interested to know this because it works on the Marantz Amos in Pure Direct mode, and I presume Denon is the same. I guess the crossover is done in the analog realm on these.

In pure direct there is no bass management. That's the point.

Blew

Ive
In pure direct there is no bass management. That's the point.
Perhaps Yamaha does it in the digital realm while Marantz and Denon do it in the analogue realm?

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ive

Perhaps Yamaha does it in the digital realm while Marantz and Denon do it in the analogue realm?
No. @rccarguy is correct. Pure Direct simply sends the source directly out as it came in, bypassing the digital realm.

Blew

No. @rccarguy is correct. Pure Direct simply sends the source directly out as it came in, bypassing the digital realm.
Then why does the bass crossover functionality still work on the Marantz receivers in Direct/Pure Direct modes?

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Then why does the bass crossover functionality still work on the Marantz receivers in Direct/Pure Direct modes?
I own the Yamaha, not any Marantz/Denon products.

Blew

I own the Yamaha, not any Marantz/Denon products.
So then I'm probably correct in assuming that Yamaha does the crossover in the digital realm while Marantz/Denon do it in the analogue realm?

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
So then I'm probably correct in assuming that Yamaha does the crossover in the digital realm while Marantz/Denon do it in the analogue realm?
That's a big assumption that you would have to look at the schematics of each component to check. Marantz/Denon may not have the same definition of "direct mode" the Yamaha does for "pure direct". There definition could be we "very little digital changes to the signal". You'd have to check with the Marantz/Denon users.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

If I remember right, they changed the approach in recent years to include crossover functionality in direct mode, but that's for digital inputs only. D+M's direct mode disables EQ/tune control functions as well as some other DSP functions. Pure direct would disable some video stuffs as well.

Not really relevant, just side bar fyi only, crossover functionality doesn't always require the "digital realm". For example, the ex flag ship (a real flag ship) AVR-5805 that weighed 97 lbs actually has that functionality in pure direct even if analog inputs are used. I highly doubt the current flagships X8500H and SR8015 offers such features any more though.

Gene's comment in his review of the 5805:

Notice that no A/D to D/A conversion stage took place to apply bass management as indicated by the lack of brickwall filter response at high frequencies. At first, I didn't understand this until I pinged Denon and they informed me of a completely independent bass management system done in the analog domain to ensure a true analog signal path was maintained. Audiophiles and fanatics can rejoice. Now you can have a true analog bypass with proper bass management (if needed). This is a truly incredible and thoughtful feature.

Blew

If I remember right, they changed the approach in recent years to include crossover functionality in direct mode, but that's for digital inputs only.
No it definitely works on the analogue inputs on Marantz receivers at least. I use an external DAC with the analogue inputs and have tested the bass management working on two different Marantz receivers.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No it definitely works on the analogue inputs on Marantz receivers at least. I use an external DAC with the analogue inputs and have tested the bass management working on two different Marantz receivers.

Now that you mentioned Marantz, I did ask them similar questions before a couple years ago, below are the Q&A with Marantz support:

Communication History​

Marantz response:

Staff Account NJ Customer Support via Email02/10/2020 05:53 PM
Hi

Looking at the end of the Volume IC trace, I do see there's a Tone Control (crossover) which would explain the low frequency output to the sub in Direct Mode.

Thanks,
Marantz NA

My follow up question:

Customer via Web02/08/2020 02:38 PM
Thank you for your response. So if in direct/pure direct the signal bypasses the ADC/DAC and DSP, then how come even when direct or pure direct are selected, the speaker distance/delay and crossover settings seem to remain in effect?

Thanks again,

Marantz response:

Staff Account NJ Customer Support via Email02/05/2020 02:58 PM
Hello,

Looking at the Analog Audio Block in the 7705's service manual it appears that an analog input signal while in Direct or Pure Direct mode does bypass the DSP and there's no ADC / DAC at that point. The signal is sent to 2 independent switches, then to the Volume IC and finally to the HDAM module before it goes to the pre-out section.

To purchase any of our service manuals, please see the following link. https://www.service-manual.net/?download=69229-marantz-av7705-service-manual

Thanks,
Marantz NA

Customer via Web01/21/2020 05:50 PM

My question:

- If Direct and Pure Direct mode using analog inputs in fact allow the signal to bypass the Analog to digital converter and get routed directly to volume control and then output to the power amp section, then how come in those modes it is still possible to do some bass management such as selecting Main+LFE and setting crossovers, distance and delay? So does it mean if Main+LFE is selected, direct and pure direct mode would send a copy of the signal to the ADC, while allowing the other copy to bypass it?

Thanks again

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Does anyone know if the RX-V1085 model sold in Australia is the same as the RX-A1080 for intents and purposes?

It uses a single ESS SABRE Premier DAC ES9007S.

Last edited:

iamalan

Does anyone know if the RX-V1085 model sold in Australia is the same as the RX-A1080 for intents and purposes?

It uses a single ESS SABRE Premier DAC ES9007S.
Yes. Both models used the same design.
1668039098805.png

mcmahon48

I donate my 1100.00 paper weight to the Good Will Store and hope some one can use it and get some enjoyment with their system what ever they may have.
I replaced the amp part with the SMSL DA-9 and using my SMSL SU-8s DAC. Yamaha Corp. has dishonored themselves and lost my belief in their so called standards.
Their lying has turned me away.

Wol-shiver

I donate my 1100.00 paper weight to the Good Will Store and hope some one can use it and get some enjoyment with their system what ever they may have.
I replaced the amp part with the SMSL DA-9 and using my SMSL SU-8s DAC. Yamaha Corp. has dishonored themselves and lost my belief in their so called standards.
Their lying has turned me away.
What happened ?

Stan10

Hi the forum
Do we know What is the impact of the volume contrôle on sound quality, analogue in to analogue output? In pure direct mode of course. I would like to understand if the preamp section is good enough for stereo only?
Regards
Stan

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the impact of the volume contrôle on sound quality, analogue in to analogue output? In pure direct mode of course. I would like to understand if the preamp section is good enough for stereo only?
Cool you quoted my over two year old post. :)

I've kept the same impression about my A2080, it's still running my R3's, sounding very very good. I always run YPAO which clears up the image very well IMO.

To Stan10’s question, no one has measured this unit in more detail, but I believe I can speculate reasonably.

This is the Sinad graph of the CX-A5100
1700579773696.jpg

The Monolith HTP-1 is one of the very best measuring processors at lower output voltages, but the Yamaha does even better at extremely low voltages.

SINAD
Yamaha CX-A5100 vs. Monolith HTP-1
0.1V: 85 vs 84
0.2V: 91 vs 90
0.3V: 94.5 vs 93
0.4V: 96 vs 95.5
0.5V: 96 vs 97.5
1.0V: 92 vs 102.5

I have read
that the preamp design of the CX-A line is identical to the flagship Aventages minus weird ground issues (see the CX-A5200 review at Audioholics). @thin bLue has measured the RX-A8A as well. Audioholics looked at the RX-A6A’s preamp.

Yamaha seems to do very well when your output voltage is low. This is consistent with the user manual which talks about 1V nominal output.

So you really do want to pair the Yamaha with a high gain amplifier for the best results.

@Ataraxia
I will reply to your two year old post now… I have paired my $8K Meyer Sound Amie’s with both the Yamaha CX-A5100 and Monolith HTP-1 and the sound is very very similar. At normal listening volumes, the sound is very similar but the Yamaha even has the advantage of DSP, dynamic volume, etc.

I will say that while I like DSP for movies (the Sci Fi setting), I generally do not use any of the music DSP modes for most recordings.

Top Bottom