• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RX-A8A Review

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
Focus on your health and recovery .. Please..
We'll wait for the TLDR and whatnot ...

to your health!

Peace.
Thank you! It's getting significantly better! Soon the power meter will arrive and be able to proceed with measurements for the next review. It will take a while for the quality of reviews and descriptions to improve, but data acquisition will be back soon!

Thanks for your concern again, Health comes the First!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can see the left side 'Signal Path setup' - 'Input Configuration' - 'Connection : Analog Unbalanced'
Unbalanced = RCA

I know that, but 1.6 V from the unbalaced output means from the balanced out it would be 3.2 V. That's what I am saying. SINAD may not be exactly the same if you measured from the balanced out in that test, but I am sure it would have been very close, say within a couple dB.

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
I know that, but 1.6 V from the unbalaced output means from the balanced out it would be 3.2 V. That's what I am saying. SINAD may not be exactly the same if you measured from the balanced out in that test, but I am sure it would have been very close, say within a couple dB.
Ah! I just got it!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah! I just got it!
I am not asking you to do anything but to rest well until you recover 100%, but do you get the feeling that the A8A pre outs can out at least 2 V from the RCAs and still maintain > 90 dB SINAD?

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
I am not asking you to do anything but to rest well until you recover 100%, but do you get the feeling that the A8A pre outs can out at least 2 V from the RCAs and still maintain > 90 dB SINAD?
IMHO, 1.6 Vrms is max for A8A's RCA out. It would clip before reach 2 Vrms.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMHO, 1.6 Vrms is max for A8A's RCA out. It would clip before reach 2 Vrms.

You did such a detailed job that also make it diffcult to find a specific test. So, sorry to bother you again, could you point me to the test results that shows the THD+N for the typical 1 kHz test signal at rated outpt, into 8 and 4 ohms.

To be clear, I am looking the results that are included in Amir's measurements of AVRs, such as the one below he did for the RX-1060:

index.php

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Si is it a good AVR or not?

From the sound perspective, if you stay under 2V pre-out, it's around 100 dB SINAD which is great. This is -5 dB optical input, but 0 dB on the analog out. When you're using it as an AVR, it should be pretty good. When used as a pre-amp, it's going to depend on high-gain amplifiers.

The A8A has hefty discounts at my local retailer, so at full price, it might not be a great deal but at a discount, it can be competitive. The German magazine showed that it had pretty beefy amplification.

I *like* Yamaha's DSP. Some may not. I think their PEQ was respectable in my setup but it's not at the level of the Dirac/Audyssey in terms of app support.

I still have my CX-A5100 in my secondary setup, but have moved to separates and the Monolith HTP-1.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From the sound perspective, if you stay under 2V pre-out, it's around 100 dB SINAD which is great.
That is very good, can you link the review/measurements please..

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is very good, can you link the review/measurements please..

Its an extrapolation of
A) knowing how my CX-A5100 measures and volume relative to signs.

-3 dB signal and 0 dB volume versus
0 dB signal and -3 dB volume

And these from a few posts up from the XLR out.

Optical signal -3 dBFS
Brand New Yamaha RX-A8A GNDed Opti -3 dBFS IN Short Latency (default) STRAIGHT 0 dB Front L R XLR Pre OUT SINAD 22.4k.PNG
Brand New Yamaha RX-A8A GNDed Opti -3 dBFS IN Short Latency (default) STRAIGHT 0 dB Front L R ...PNG

Optical signal -5 dBFS
Brand New Yamaha RX-A8A GNDed Opti -5 dBFS IN Short Latency (default) STRAIGHT 0 dB Front L R XLR Pre OUT SINAD 22.4k.PNG
Brand New Yamaha RX-A8A GNDed Opti -5 dBFS IN Short Latency (default) STRAIGHT 0 dB Front L R ...PNG

Top Bottom