• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Peachtree GAN400 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 74 28.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 159 60.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 23 8.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 1.9%

• Total voters

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s not my money, but my vote is to keep the Powercube. I personally have had two better than -100 dB SINAD 1 kHz amps where running a speaker load (Studio 530) and measuring things electrically showed one amp to have worse distortion that correlated with a tough part of your impedance curve.

Mojo Warrior

I see a trend in this product brand. They consistently over-promise and under-deliver. Not to mention over-priced.

Sad

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is an eval unit. Have to decide if I am purchasing it. Will probably do a stand-alone review for it.

An unexpected but happy surprise. FWIW, Peter Aczel had one. For reasons I never found out (I never asked him) it evidently went south on him. I don't know if he ever got it fixed, or what he did with it, but shortly thereafter he stopped reviewing. I think due to health reasons.

I know it is a very expensive instrument and would certainly make a positive addition to ASR investigations. However I'd be looking at warranty and service before making any major cash outlays. As with anything.

Multicore

Major Contributor
You understand, but maybe partially. One power amplifier (or second channel of the DUT) sends current to the DUT output. I think it should be easy to understand. Sine sweep is sent from driving channel and response measured at the output of the DUT (forced) channel. At DUT, 1V = 1ohm, because 1A x 1ohm = 1V.

View attachment 271622
Now that's the ingenious part of the word engineering. Thanks for explaining. The "a) A sinusoidal current source" is provided by another audio power amp, perhaps similar tot he DUT, and "of internal impedance at least 10 times the expected value of the output source impedance is connected ... to the output terminals of the amplifier" 10 ohm should be plenty.

Presumably this has been standard practice since forever but, as I've never been involved in amp engineering, it's new to me.

It's a good day to be reading ASR. Thanks @pma

RandomEar

Funny thing is that the same company offers a better or similar specd and also powerful one at 1000$ less!
What would be the discriminator for someone to choose this over the cheaper one?
Obviously, this one says "GaN" on the front plate and the cheaper ones don't! ;)

peniku8

Forum Donor
Frequency response is disappointing as it shows load dependency:
View attachment 271534
@amirm Would it be a hassle to align this type of graph's 1khz level to 0dBr? I think that would improve its readability a bit. I checked the 8R graph's 20khz level and saw it at +1dB, but actually it's +0.5dB because the regular passband is at some +0.6dB.

As for the amp, that's a 1.5dB difference at 20khz between 4R and 8R, that's... not ideal...

Gadgety

Very, very pleased to see the power cube. This is great knowledge in making amplifier selection. Amir, you need to retest a lot of amplifiers!

Gadgety

Yeh, it is pretty bad. Alas, it was written by AP and it has no other choices whatsoever. I can export the data though and plot in Excel. Will do in the future.

That power stress test is super useful information, a lot of speakers have minimum impedance in the 3-4 Ohm range, but enough phase angle to become problematic. Would love to see some AV receivers subjected to it.

The 3D graph doesn't seem intuitive though. Is there an option for 2D plots, with the different impedance loads being different coloured traces, phase on X axis, and voltage on Y axis?
I find the 3D diagram extremely useful and easy to read. What is the trouble with reading the diagram, and why do 2D?

A bit strangely, at 2 ohm it would not run with 0 load angle but did produce half the output at other angles (hard to see in the 3-D graph). Since minimum impedance is 2.5 oh, we can't fault it for this. FYI I tested a couple of amps at my disposal and the both got quite unhappy with varying phase angles, shutting down and such.
Perhaps this is the problem both of you referred to. It can be seen but it does take some effort to see the shading and shape of the curve. Perhaps do both the 3D and a 2D in cases like this?

A separate comment, I wouldn't mind if the diagram and test covered even wider phase angles, although many amplifiers probably would. I assume the power cube isn't set up for it, and would be feedback to the Powercube developer, rather than directed to this excellent site.

Last edited:

Dirk_67

I think I understand this Power-Cube diagram so far ...
but how long has this power to be delivered from the Amp ?
continuous / 20ms burst / some seconds?
and at what distortion-values (1% / 10% / clip) ?

DSJR

Major Contributor
I like that idea in principle, but how do we decide what that simulated load should be? A worst case of available speakers, an average, or what?
No time to trawl reviews, but the average two way passive crossovers I've seen do appear on the face of it to have broadly similar characteristics (accepting that you may well find exceptions to this broad-brush statement). I'd suggest that three way models could be even worse, so I suppose for a product like this, a typical two way 'average impedance curve' could be useful.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I see a trend in this product brand. They consistently over-promise and under-deliver. Not to mention over-priced.

Sad
The key to buying Peachtree products is to watch eBay for blems. The blem is usually a flaw in the cabinet that you can't see in normal use. My two Nova 300s were $1400 each shipped, which I do not consider bad for the feature set, country of assembly, cosmetics, and amount of power available. (One of my 300s was reviewed on this site.)

As for the GAN version, the G must be for Gimmick, and I see no reason for it to exist with the 500 available using IcePower modules.

Last edited:

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The key to buying Peachtree products is to watch eBay for blems. The blem is usually a flaw in the cabinet that you can't see in normal use.

As for the GAN version, the G must be for Gimmick, and I see no reason for it to exist with the 500 available using IcePower modules.
These Peachtree GaN amps seem to all have a blem and it's more than cosmetic- it's their lack of post filter feedback and the resultant load dependent frequency response.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I understand this Power-Cube diagram so far ...
but how long has this power to be delivered from the Amp ?
continuous / 20ms burst / some seconds?
and at what distortion-values (1% / 10% / clip) ?
The only time I encountered the device in print was in a review of amplifiers the Boston Audio Society conducted (written up in their Speaker publication). I'd have to do some digging to see the BAS protocol.

For his part, Aczel explained:

The Power Cube, a software driven automated instrument with a PC front end, measures the maximum voltage the amplifier can deliver to the load at 1% distortion for a duration of 20ms at 1kHz. The loads have impedance magnitudes of 8, 4, 2, 1 ohm, and phase angles of -60, -30, 0, +30 and +60. The graphic output of the instrument shows the 20 data points connected to form a more or less cubelike polyhedron, which illustrates at a glance the true dynamic performance of the amplifier.

The test only takes a few minutes per channel. Under ideal conditions the voltage sourced by the amplifier should be a constant. A real amplifier, even a very good one is going to exhibit some tilt in the cube... The extent of the tilt depends principally on the primary capacitor reservoir size, the losses across the output devices, and the action of the current limiter if it is present.

I have no idea if the device measurement protocol is configurable, but I guess Amir will discuss that shortly.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tracked down the BAS tests, reported in their Speaker publication (Fall 2017). The material is of course copyrighted so I won't quote much. However for anyone interested, and for anyone with access to the publication, it is worthwhile.

A problem for manufacturers producing for the real world is cost to the consumer v intended application. Looking at a 'graph' printout has to be interpreted carefully, whether it's power, or distortion. In the BAS article, two designers (Bob Carver--then at Sunfire, and Tom Holman, audio engineering director at Apple, designer of the Apt electronics) discussed their opinions and reservations about consumers using something like the Power Cube for purchasing valuations.

Editor Alvin Foster wrote the following:

Not everyone is in agreement with AudioGraph CEO Lars Ohlen about the universality of all amplifiers outputting a perfect cube with the loads specified in the IHF-A-202 standard. Some well-known amplifier designers believe that test selection and performance required depend on how the amplifier will be used, especially where music is the ultimate signal. They believe that an amp need not pass all AudioGraph tests to be more than adequate for music playback. Passing all of the tests might be more appropriate for amps in certain industrial applications.

If ASR is going to provide AudioGraph measurements (which I hope will be the case), a discussion of its practical (to the consumer) use ought to follow. In any case, because it's an old design, I am attaching the Phase Linear 700 AudioGraph. Phase Linear was one of the first, to the consumer, high powered amplifiers. FYI

power.jpg

pma

Major Contributor
This link is quite new and hope that it is accessible even without login:

- with graph examples and explanations.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Pretty disappointing performance for that kind of... (ahem)... moolah.
:(

badspeakerdesigner

You can see the load dependency already starting at 3k giving a slope or a rise in very wide band depending of speaker impedance this is potentially audible ? This is leads to unpredictable performance with your speakers and you should not have to do home auditions for amps ? And then you change speakers ? This also means that two people’s listening impressions of this amp even if done in a controlled ABX way can’t be compared unless they have the same speakers.

In my experience not only audible but easily measurable. I have some load dependent cheap class D amps and a few of them exhibited rising HF response with a particular pair of speakers I own. Lots of testing was done, even sending the speaker to the company to be analyzed. Turns out it was my amps. Only until I was able to get a hold of an amp that didn't have the load dependency was I figure it out. Since then I've been looking around trying to find an amplifier that won't do this but also won't break the bank.

A07 (class D in green)vs. Audiosource Amp100 (class A/B in orange), I had to do this quickly at a friends house and forgot my mic stand so I did my best to hold the mic in the same spot. Speakers are Parts-express Cnotes.

0GABdMf.png

Here's another measurement that I took that shows how bad it can get.

UvuuQSU.png

I thought this was super interesting because it kinda took a big poop on my long held belief that amplifiers generally don't sound different. It looks like they absolutely can. I was also surprised that no one really seemed to think anything of this when I shared my info.

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
I also have numerous threads and posts on this issue here at ASR, but in the huge number of other threads they have quickly faded away.

Ajax

Forum Donor
Hi Amir,

Thanks for the review, which reinforces the need to measure everything that we possibly can. I appreciate few here need convincing of this.

Peachtree was as hot a brand as there ever was, revered on Audiophile sites for many years. Subjective reviewers lauded their amps and DACs, however, they have a history of under achieving SOTA by a significant margin. IMO the best way to describe the company is a well marketed brand that produces average performance with a premium price tag.

Here are another couple of examples:

Compare these prices with say a Topping E50 or second hand Benchmark DAC 2 combined with a Hypex 502 amp. I appreciate many will feel comparing new with second hand is not fair, however, the build quality of Benchmark gear is exceptional. I've had three over a 12 year period that never missed a beat.

Amir, pls keep up the good work, your efforts really are essential and appreciated by those of us needing help to sort the wheat from the chaff.

lewdish

Looks like not all GaN amps are built the same, and much more difficult to design for over Purifi/Ice/HypeX modules

Top Bottom