• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Peachtree GAN400 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 74 28.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 159 60.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 23 8.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 1.9%

• Total voters

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

georgehifi

Hi guys, anyone have a pic of the GaN400 circuit board??

Thanks George

georgehifi

"14 to 15 Bits" ?
Be nice to see the same, but for the newer all digital models from input to the output stage of Peachtree GaN-1 (poweramp) or even better again Peachtree Carina-GaN (integrated) models, that also use no global feedback, I think just a bit of local, yet still retain .004% distortion and quite good damping factor.
BTW; GaN was said to be bought out by the massive Infineon company in the last few days!!!!

Cheers George

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Be nice to see the same, but for the newer all digital from input to the output stage of Peachtree GaN-1 (poweramp) or even better again Peachtree Carina-GaN (integrated) models, that also use no global feedback, just a bit of local yet still retain .004% distortion and quite good damping factor.

Cheers George
Are you trying to bring the "all digital" train wreck from the diyaudio thread here?

georgehifi

Are you trying to bring the "all digital" train wreck from the diyaudio thread here?
(I doubt over 300 post could be called a trainwreck, sure there's some heated debates but a train wreck? naaa.)
Sorry you need to read again, I never said "all digital" and that's all.
I said "all digital models from inputs to the outputs" and this does not include the outputs, funny how one can change a quote by leaving part of it out.
(and strange that your a dealer for the other team as well)

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I said "all digital models from inputs to the outputs" and this does not include the outputs, funny how one can change a quote by leaving part of it out.
To me, "from inputs to the outputs" includes everything except perhaps the output connector.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Who cares of it is "all digital" or not? It's an inferior design based on marketing hype around the GaN fet that doesn't deliver on any of the intrinsic advantages of GaN. There are much better performing class d amps out their with state of the art performance, modern design, and no bs.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Your previous - extremely aggressive - post has been moderated. Don't you think it's time to stop searching for a fight?

Says the guy holding the blaster who just shot Greedo under the table... ;)

NoxPlague

I purchased the Peachtree GaN400 back when it was early in its lifecycle, Peachtree let me trade in my aging iNova for it's original retail price and upgrade to the new preDAC + GaN400 combo. I've been trying to figure out what has been bothering my about my system since the change and now upon finding this analysis I wonder if the amplifier is to blame.

I'm powering a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RX 6 (6 Ohm speakers).

I'd thought maybe it was my old Sonos connect (Circa 2010) recently purchased both a Bluesound Node and the Cambridge Audio MXN10 to test out and noticed an improvement relative to the old Sonos, but couldn't detect any difference from the Node and the MXN10 (which based on the views of this site would be expected). I'm feeding everything into the matching Peachtree preDAC. I also tried the MXN10 analog RCA into the Peachtree GaN400 and really couldn't hear much of a difference from the MXN10 and the preDAC, except I thought volume management was better through the preDAC.

Based on the analysis presented here it seems like trying a different amplifier is in order. I'm trying to figure out a good replacement for the Peachtree. Based on other reviews here both the NAD C298 and the Apollon Hypex NCx500 ST NCOREx seem like reasonable alternatives with lots of power, long shipping & lead time on the Apollon, but about $1000 less even with upgrades. The Soncoz SGP1 doesn't seem easily available here in the US. The Topping LA90s seem to have lots of issues from what I'm seeing in reviews, but they are available via Amazon which makes me think I should buy one to try and return it regardless as a sort of benchmark.

Any other specific high performing amplifier models, easily available to purchase in the US, I should look into?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

C. Cook

I purchased the Peachtree GaN400 back when it was early in its lifecycle, Peachtree let me trade in my aging iNova for it's original retail price and upgrade to the new preDAC + GaN400 combo. I've been trying to figure out what has been bothering my about my system since the change and now upon finding this analysis I wonder if the amplifier is to blame.

I'm powering a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RX 6 (6 Ohm speakers).

I'd thought maybe it was my old Sonos connect (Circa 2010) recently purchased both a Bluesound Node and the Cambridge Audio MXN10 to test out and noticed an improvement relative to the old Sonos, but couldn't detect any difference from the Node and the MXN10 (which based on the views of this site would be expected). I'm feeding everything into the matching Peachtree preDAC. I also tried the MXN10 analog RCA into the Peachtree GaN400 and really couldn't hear much of a difference from the MXN10 and the preDAC, except I thought volume management was better through the preDAC.

Based on the analysis presented here it seems like trying a different amplifier is in order. I'm trying to figure out a good replacement for the Peachtree. Based on other reviews here both the NAD C298 and the Apollon Hypex NCx500 ST NCOREx seem like reasonable alternatives with lots of power, long shipping & lead time on the Apollon, but about $1000 less even with upgrades. The Soncoz SGP1 doesn't seem easily available here in the US. The Topping LA90s seem to have lots of issues from what I'm seeing in reviews, but they are available via Amazon which makes me think I should buy one to try and return it regardless as a sort of benchmark.

Any other specific high performing amplifier models, easily available to purchase in the US, I should look into?
If you're looking for a 'quick 'n dirty' (and cheap) solution, there's always VTV. He's taken some (in some cases) deserved flak on these pages, but IMO has cleaned up his act in terms of build quality. Huge range of options at very competitive prices and ships right away. Also pretty responsive to any questions or warranty issues. Just my $0.02.

NoxPlague

Actually I want to try something different, I just ordered a Schiit Vidar 2. I know it hasn't been ranked here yet, but lots of folks on these forums speak highly of it.

Reactions: EdW

PatriceA

Would it be crazy to hook one WiiM Pro Plus (analog out) to two Vidar 2 (bridged) ? Volume control at WiiM level. I understand that in case of reset, there is a risk (max power).

NoxPlague

I love the Schist Vidar 2. It solved the harsh/bright, I want to turn this off feelings I was having. I've been using it for 48 hours and I've played music non-stop except to sleep. My wife is has complained less about the volume and music choices and I didn't tell her I switched components, so that is a big sign that it sounds better in my book.

I plugged the Cambridge Audio MXN10 directly to the Vidar 2 but I definitely heard more distortion relative to the Peachtree PreDAC. I have a Raspberry Pi on the way and a Wiim Pro Plus so that'll be my next input test, I'm not expecting sound differences as much as feature / experience differences, I'll also try the Wiim Pro Plus directly into the Vidar 2 since that has line in and I could use for the turntable if it supports volume control / preamp capabilities.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love the Schist Vidar 2. It solved the harsh/bright, I want to turn this off feelings I was having. I've been using it for 48 hours and I've played music non-stop except to sleep. My wife is has complained less about the volume and music choices and I didn't tell her I switched components, so that is a big sign that it sounds better in my book.

I plugged the Cambridge Audio MXN10 directly to the Vidar 2 but I definitely heard more distortion relative to the Peachtree PreDAC. I have a Raspberry Pi on the way and a Wiim Pro Plus so that'll be my next input test, I'm not expecting sound differences as much as feature / experience differences, I'll also try the Wiim Pro Plus directly into the Vidar 2 since that has line in and I could use for the turntable if it supports volume control / preamp capabilities.
You seem to be new to the forum. In case you haven’t seen this already, there is this video which explains that there is a very good chance that you are drawing the wrong conclusions from your listening tests.

Thread 'Audio Blind Tests and Listener Training (video)'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...lind-tests-and-listener-training-video.21026/

And

Thread 'Audio Blind Testing - You Are Doing It Wrong! (Video)'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...d-testing-you-are-doing-it-wrong-video.26809/

Last edited:
Top Bottom