• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neutrik NA2M-D2B-Tx balancing transformer adapter review

Rate this adapter

• Poor

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Not terrible

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Fine

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • Excellent

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters

solderdude

Grand Contributor
And for those that wonder why there is a difference between Amir's and PMA measurements in the 40kHz region, that is because of the difference in load.
PMA has a 1.6k load, Amir had a 100k load which is responsible for the peaking in that part of the FR (somewhere above 50kHz)

Last edited:
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
When you also have the device below you can fit it into the Neutrik enclosure or you would need a really nifty shoehorn.
Yes and let's make it SMD size. I think 0603 package would be an optimum.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Yes and let's make it SMD size. I think 0603 package would be an optimum.
Haha, 0603 is for wussies, 01005 is the target for brave solder soldiers:
Examples-of-0603-0201-and-01005-passive-components.png

Fun aside, it looks like that the bigger and much better Neutrik NTL1 would juuust fit in the original housing, for a significant DIY upgrade...

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor

PeteL

Major Contributor
Now the big question (Highly technical) What's D-Shape about them? I see a rectangular prism with rounded corner.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
It is a NA-housing for D-shape connectors, that’s how they call it. No need to make logical discoveries.

PeteL

Major Contributor
oh, the connectors themselves. That's my Idea of a D-Shape connector:

1687550204882.png

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Will the PinkPanther herd require re-training or re-calibration or some sensitivity-training based on the replies?

MCH

Major Contributor
If it wasn't already evident that voters here just follow the Panther's tamer, whoever that is, this has been the proof... :p

1687634169795.png
1687634043745.png

(and talking very low so that not many people can hear, i have the feeling sinad charts deserve just a tiny bit more credibility :p:p)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Amir measured it at too high levels and sees it from a hifi-stereo application viewpoint thus the measurement results are poor and thus the poll will reflect that.
PMA measured its performance and sees it from the intended use case viewpoint and thus the results are much less poor and thus the poll will reflect that.
What it proves is that the measurements themselves matter as well as the reporting.

Measuring an amplifier under overload conditions only can make the best amp measure poor.
Feeding a DAC a distorted input signal will also result in poor test results.
measuring a DCA stealth driven from a phone will lead to poor results.
Measuring a speaker driven from a flea power tube amp will also lead to poor results.

tree

Hi,
I'm hoping the educated people here can help me to understand, since the second part otf this thread caused me a little panic. I have bought the Neutrik NA2M (partly because of this review) and I'm trying to understand is my equipment in danger. I have a Marantz sr7013 connected to a Anthem STR pre (RCA2XLR) which connects to a Purifi amp (XLR). I had a small hiss ever since I added the Purifi amp (before adding the Anthem STR the marantz was connected RCA to the Purifi). After adding the Anthem STR I also got a small pop when starting up the Marantz (starting the Anthem first doesn't cause an issue). Adding the Neutrik NA2M seem to have solve these issues. Did the introduction of the Neutrik NA2M to the system can cause issues in high volume? What is considered high volume? I rarely go above -20db in the Marantz.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Where did you add the Neutrik ?
Between Marantz and Anthem or between Anthem and Purify ?
Only when plagued by hum/noises caused by ground loops it makes sense to try these devices to see if that is the problem.
These are NOT intended for hifi usage.
When the problem you had was solved using the Neutrik simply buy a better one designed for hifi or try to find out where the problem comes from and solve it in another way.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Where did you add the Neutrik ?
Between Marantz and Anthem or between Anthem and Purify ?
Only when plagued by hum/noises caused by ground loops it makes sense to try these devices to see if that is the problem.
These are NOT intended for hifi usage.
When the problem you had was solved using the Neutrik simply buy a better one designed for hifi or try to find out where the problem comes from and solve it in another way.
But a hiss is not necessaraly caused by ground loop. Interferences can be a real thing too and balanced connections can solve that too.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Attachments

• ru-afc2.pdf
    770 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Hi,
I'm hoping the educated people here can help me to understand, since the second part otf this thread caused me a little panic. I have bought the Neutrik NA2M (partly because of this review) and I'm trying to understand is my equipment in danger. I have a Marantz sr7013 connected to a Anthem STR pre (RCA2XLR) which connects to a Purifi amp (XLR). I had a small hiss ever since I added the Purifi amp (before adding the Anthem STR the marantz was connected RCA to the Purifi). After adding the Anthem STR I also got a small pop when starting up the Marantz (starting the Anthem first doesn't cause an issue). Adding the Neutrik NA2M seem to have solve these issues. Did the introduction of the Neutrik NA2M to the system can cause issues in high volume? What is considered high volume? I rarely go above -20db in the Marantz.
Such system that was created by interconnection of many audio components may have unexpected sources of common voltage interferences with wide interference spectrum and the transformer isolator like NA2M might have helped. It is very difficult to identify the issue at long-distance, without checking it and measuring it in place.
”High volume” would be if you feeded the NA2M from a fixed, unregulated 2V DAC output. If you use the NA2M behind the preamp or DAC with volume control and output of the NA2M goes to a power amplifier and you stay at -20dB from the sound source (I expect sr7013), then I do not think you can get into any audible problems, audible distortions.

P.S.:

I got this info from SR7013 manual
1687763119472.png

As long as you are up to -9dB below maximum, you should have no audible distortions.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Has anyone here ever tested RDL Model RU-AFC2?
Its datasheet can be found here. (We need 24V DC power supply like RDL PS-24-AS, though).
Won't break ground loops. (there is a ground lift option though)
This is where the transformer does its thing, galvanic separation.
It is pretty easy to get top performance using electronics.
A handy option is the gain control but is per channel. This is not so easy to do using transformers.

Last edited:

tree

Such system that was created by interconnection of many audio components may have unexpected sources of common voltage interferences with wide interference spectrum and the transformer isolator like NA2M might have helped. It is very difficult to identify the issue at long-distance, without checking it and measuring it in place.
”High volume” would be if you feeded the NA2M from a fixed, unregulated 2V DAC output. If you use the NA2M behind the preamp or DAC with volume control and output of the NA2M goes to a power amplifier and you stay at -20dB from the sound source (I expect sr7013), then I do not think you can get into any audible problems, audible distortions.

P.S.:

I got this info from SR7013 manual
View attachment 294952

As long as you are up to -9dB below maximum, you should have no audible distortions.
Thanks for your feedback.

SMJ

I think many of you are over thinking the intended use of this product, they are intended to be used as simple 'bodge' devices to get from balanced to unbalanced (or visa versa) without compromising the audio ground path between two audio devices, nothing more.

Scenario - live classical orchestra, 50-60 mics to a sound desk feeding a stereo mix to an 6 circuit ISDN Codec feeding a broadcast centre. VIC (Very Important Conductor) puts head through the mobile door with a domestic portable recorder in hand. "Could you record the broadcast for me?" and then disappears. Recorder has 3.5mm stereo and RCA phono inputs/outputs only. I have a spare balanced DA feed available on the desk so an XLR-F to phono x 2 and a set of phono to XLR-M x 2 back to the desk for a confidence monitor feed is all that's needed without compromising things.

If you want higher grade units than the Neutrik ones then have a look at the offerings from Lundahl Transformers which claim +17dBu 1% @ 50Hz

Lundahl Transformers

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
If you want higher grade units than the Neutrik ones then have a look at the offerings from Lundahl Transformers which claim +17dBu 1% @ 50Hz
Sure, and of course you are at different price level as well, then. This is not microelectronics and things are not changing every 2 years ;).

Top Bottom