• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blue Jeans Cable Isolation Transformer Review

Rate this isolation transformer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 193 95.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters

Midwest Blade

Ugh! I have been extremely happy to be using their cables and interconnects for many years and found them to be a great value for a quality product. Not quite ready to throw them under the bus, but this and the Iconoclass thing makes me wonder.
Oh well, what surprises me most about the whole audio business is that we as consumers spend so much on dubious and suspicious products.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I hear what your saying but there has to be a line.
Yes.

You either have a company based on high integrity or not.
Most audio companies out there are profit driven otherwise they would go out of business quickly.
Some make more profit than others, some make quality products, others make crap and/or everything in between.
I think the vast majority of cable selling companies are not based on 'integrity'.
Myself I draw the line at Amazon basic quality cables in price and minimum required build quality.

I have not bought BJC cables and probably never will either.
The tested transformer will cut common mode currents and might not sound poor in some circumstances.
I sure don't think it is a great product at all and is just as bad as the earlier tested Neutrik thingies. Not suited for hifi sound reproduction but can solve certain hum issues in some cases.

Last edited:

Saturn94

I just came across this review and must say it caught me by surprise. It has me a bit confused.

I’ve been using this product since 2018 to eliminate a slight buzz/hum I was getting from my sub, a Power Sound Audio Triax. It successfully eliminated the buzz/hum. I can’t say I noticed any audible difference in sub’s excellent performance. Looking at the distortion measurements in this review it’s hard to believe I wouldn’t notice such high distortion levels. What am I missing here? Am I just deaf?

Perhaps I’ll do some careful listening with and without it to see if I notice anything.

Would some like this be a much better choice, even if only for piece of mind?

I see it was reviewed here in 2021;

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What am I missing here? Am I just deaf?

Try it with test tones of very low frequency.

With music distortion isn't nearly as audible due to the impulse alike nature of it.
Also depends on the input senstivity of the sub and how loud you play.

When you never heard any audible degradation I would just keep using it. Only when you have an OCD for it (now aware about technical performance) I would buy the Jensen.

egellings

Major Contributor
As I said before, actions have consequences.
If you choose to continue to reward them for a change in marketing direction, fine
Not I.

AMEN

Because they were selling crap.
After they were called out on it they started to change their ways.
But personally I still have no use for their products.

A decision made due to the AKM factory in Japan burning down.
Not a change made by choice.
Has that factory been rebuilt, and are the AKM chips being made again?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Has that factory been rebuilt, and are the AKM chips being made again?
Here's more recent interesting news.
"For the engineers and techies reading this – you know who you are – the announcement from the company included some other impressive specs and details. For example, the new AK4499EX sports a signal-to-noise ratio of an amazing 135dB per channel (A-weighted), with a total harmonic distortion (THD) of -124dB. You know, the company is claiming that this is “world-class analog” performance – and I can’t dispute that statement."

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
Here's more interesting news.
"For the engineers and techies reading this – you know who you are – the announcement from the company included some other impressive specs and details. For example, the new AK4499EX sports a signal-to-noise ratio of an amazing 135dB per channel (A-weighted), with a total harmonic distortion (THD) of -124dB. You know, the company is claiming that this is “world-class analog” performance – and I can’t dispute that statement."
It's so good that human hearing will never be able to fully appreciate it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's so good that human hearing will never be able to fully appreciate it.
Very true but it will be interesting when @amirm gets around to measuring any new AVRs using this chip to see how
well it's actually implemented. That 135 db s/n ration can end up a 73 SINAD if not done well. Witness the mess in
the Denon X3500, and there are many much worse. None I believe the fault of the DAC chip itself, simply poor engineering around it.
index.php

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use BJC and have for a long time…not the new “Iconoclast”, however.

It has long been amusing to me that one can spend truly blinding dollars on cable, especially Speaker cable. My latest astonishing dollar amount seen
is $71,000.00 for a pair! I think that Bob Fulton was the originator of the “High-end” cable movement with Fulton Gold speaker cables. At least Bob
Fulton‘s Golds gave the appearance that you were getting something for your money - 2 x 3/4 inch gold colored cables that Nelson Pass said “one could use them
to pull stumps or arc-weld“ with them!

So, Caveat emptor! I believe that BLC legacy products are still perfectly fine, that the Iconoclast line falls under buyer beware and the transformer is
an unfortunate foul-up.

squared80

I use BJC and have for a long time…not the new “Iconoclast”, however.

It has long been amusing to me that one can spend truly blinding dollars on cable, especially Speaker cable. My latest astonishing dollar amount seen
is $71,000.00 for a pair! I think that Bob Fulton was the originator of the “High-end” cable movement with Fulton Gold speaker cables. At least Bob
Fulton‘s Golds gave the appearance that you were getting something for your money - 2 x 3/4 inch gold colored cables that Nelson Pass said “one could use them
to pull stumps or arc-weld“ with them!

So, Caveat emptor! I believe that BLC legacy products are still perfectly fine, that the Iconoclast line falls under buyer beware and the transformer is
an unfortunate foul-up.

If you want to see total willful ignorance, head over to the Audiogon forums. It's like the island of misfit 'audiophiles' where cables and power cords and elevators control sound, spaciousness, clarity, bass, treble, mid-range, reflection points, etc. It's like the Fox News or OAN of the audio world.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to see total willful ignorance, head over to the Audiogon forums. It's like the island of misfit 'audiophiles' where cables and power cords and elevators control sound, spaciousness, clarity, bass, treble, mid-range, reflection points, etc. It's like the Fox News or OAN of the audio world.
They were promised no math.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's like the Fox News or OAN of the audio world.
Actually you got that backwards.
It's like the CNN - NBC liers and fake news peddlers of truthful reporting.

babadono

Transformers.....for sure they are in the group of "you get what you pay for".
No affiliation but JENSEN comes to mind. Got ground loop or CIC issues with your sub? Bite the bullet,get an ISO-MAX. DONE.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If anybody notwithstanding this review wants some of these, please contact me. I am keeping one for my box of odds and ends in case I come across a situation where one would be useful, but I have FOUR spares that I do not need.

Rmar

Several I have talked to know I have been looking into this isolation grounding/transformer business. All my wanderings have turned out to be snake oil so far (thanks to this site and previous reviews and discussions). I may have stumbled on something worthy of sharing with the group for your feedback. It's a Hammand 171G Isolation Transformer. As I understand it, its application includes normal US household voltages and frequencies. 115 50/60Hz. Model G trips at 10amps (lower than your household circuit but higher than my audio load). One big difference between the Trippe Lite and others is the shield between the mains and secondary windings. That shield purports to do exactly what I need, which is to eliminate or reduce the 50/60Hz buzzing hum I have on my house wiring. The buzzing finds its way into my entire system (even when I lifted the ground wire on an old OneAC). It's only purpose is for noise reduction. The shield, according to the specs, does a decent job at it. Has anyone seen this unit and already moved on for good reason? I've attached the spec sheet. If it can do what I think it is supposed to do, I would plug it directly into the outlet I am using for my audio, and on the other end connect my small surge suppresor that gives me a few extra oulets, then plug in my gear. If this lowers the incoming noise, then I may have found just what I need at a somewhat reasonable cost. OK, at the risk of embarrising myself again...here goes. What are folks thoughts?

Attachments

• 2238242.pdf
    80.1 KB · Views: 37
D

Deleted member 48726

Several I have talked to know I have been looking into this isolation grounding/transformer business. All my wanderings have turned out to be snake oil so far (thanks to this site and previous reviews and discussions). I may have stumbled on something worthy of sharing with the group for your feedback. It's a Hammand 171G Isolation Transformer. As I understand it, its application includes normal US household voltages and frequencies. 115 50/60Hz. Model G trips at 10amps (lower than your household circuit but higher than my audio load). One big difference between the Trippe Lite and others is the shield between the mains and secondary windings. That shield purports to do exactly what I need, which is to eliminate or reduce the 50/60Hz buzzing hum I have on my house wiring. The buzzing finds its way into my entire system (even when I lifted the ground wire on an old OneAC). It's only purpose is for noise reduction. The shield, according to the specs, does a decent job at it. Has anyone seen this unit and already moved on for good reason? I've attached the spec sheet. If it can do what I think it is supposed to do, I would plug it directly into the outlet I am using for my audio, and on the other end connect my small surge suppresor that gives me a few extra oulets, then plug in my gear. If this lowers the incoming noise, then I may have found just what I need at a somewhat reasonable cost. OK, at the risk of embarrising myself again...here goes. What are folks thoughts?
Isolation transformers do reduce harmonics and transients that can exist on the grid. They are mostly used in the industry where I have met them thousands of times in cabinets, supplying the control components, isolating the circuit from the main grid.

DonR

Major Contributor
Look for a hospital-grade isolation transformer with a Faraday shield. My Tripp-Lite has one. Paid $50 on ebay for it.

Top Bottom