• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Midgard Balanced Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 49 22.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 159 72.9%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review, listening tests and detailed measurements of the Schiit Midgard balanced headphone amplifier and preamp. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $219.
Schiit Midgard Balanced Headphone Amplifier Preamplifier XLR HP Review.jpg

While I am not a fan of the symbols Schiit uses instead of proper labels, there are only two to learn which is no big deal (input and gain). Both XLR and 1/4 are provided by power output remains the same. Company says the XLR output is superior due to inclusion of the load in the feedback loop. The design is discrete.

Back panel has what you expect:
Schiit Midgard Balanced Headphone Amplifier Preamplifier XLR HP back panel Review.jpg

Power switch forever seems to stay in the back on Schiit products despite lower usability.

Schiit Midgard Headphone Amp Measurements
For testing I focused on XLR input but did test both 1/4 and XLR outputs. Here they are:
Schiit Midgard Balanced Headphone Amplifier Preamplifier 1-4 HP Out Measurement.png

Schiit Midgard Balanced Headphone Amplifier Preamplifier XLR HP Out Measurement.png

As noted, there is no measurable difference between the two. I stayed with XLR output for the rest of the test just in case. As is, performance is near state of the art as the company transparently states:
Best balanced headphone amplifier review.png

EDIT: it was requested that I test RCA Input:
Schiit Midgard Balanced Headphone Amplifier Preamplifier XLR HP Out RCA In Measurement.png

Overall performance remains the same but distortion actually goes down relative to XLR!

Distortion is below threshold of hearing as is noise at full 4 volt output:
Schiit Midgard Balanced Headphone Amplifier Preamplifier XLR HP Out SNR Measurement.png

On the right though, we are short of that transparency. Getting there requires negative gain which the amp does not have:
most quiet headphone amp reviewed.png

Still, this is above average performance.

Multitone shows extremely low level of distortion:
Schiit Midgard Balanced Headphone Amplifier Preamplifier XLR HP Out Multitone Measurement.png

As does wideband THD+N vs frequency:
Schiit Midgard Balanced Headphone Amplifier Preamplifier XLR HP Out THD vs frequency Measurement.png

Frequency response is as flat and as wide as you would ever want it to be:
Schiit Midgard Balanced Headphone Amplifier Preamplifier XLR HP Out frequency response Measure...png

Channel balance is surprisingly good for an analog pot:
Schiit Midgard Balanced Headphone Amplifier Preamplifier XLR HP Out channel balance Measurement.png

Most important test here is power and the Midgard has plenty of it:
Schiit Midgard Balanced Headphone Amplifier Preamplifier XLR HP Out Power 300 ohm Measurement.png

Schiit Midgard Balanced Headphone Amplifier Preamplifier XLR HP Out Power 32 ohm Measurement.png

The amp does get unhappier at lower impedances though:
Schiit Midgard Balanced Headphone Amplifier Preamplifier XLR HP Out Power vs impedance vs dist...png

Protection circuit kicks in before the amp even clips at lower impedances! Seems like it could have been a bit more relaxed than it is. Still, worst case distortion before any clipping is extremely low so I don't expect any audible issue at any impedance before the limit sets in.

EDIT: ran an acoustic distortion measurement using Sennheiser HD-650 headphone, comparing the output using XLR and 1/4 jacks:
Schiit Midgard Balanced Headphone Amplifier Preamplifier Halo Distortion Measurement.png

There is really no reliable difference.

Schiit Midgard Headphone Amp Listening Test
As usual I start with my everyday Dan Clark Stealth headphone which is a low impedance and difficult to drive unit. Testing in high gain I was able to push them to point of ear lobe resonance (!) at 3:00pm on the volume control (high gain). Anything higher than that would cause severe distortion but you wouldn't want to go there anyway. Below that level the sound was superb with nothing to complain about.

Switching to Sennheiser HD650 which is 300 ohm and much more sensitive resulted in same sensation of resonance and immense power at just 12:00 o'clock. Such high-power amps really bring out the bass out of this headphone and result in melt in your chair performance. Shame there is a risk of hearing damage! :)

With both headphones I tried to compare 1/4 to XLR. With Dan Clark I thought 1/4 was a bit better. With HD650, the XLR. Both differences were subtle enough to easily blame on sighted bias. Indeed, I stayed with 1/4 with HD650 and found the experience superb so there wasn't more to be wanted anyway.

Conclusions
I continue to be impressed by Schiit's ability to keep up with far east manufacturers on both performance and pricing. It seems that it shouldn't be possible but they keep doing it. Yes, measured noise and distortion is a bit below state of the art, but certainly good enough for transparency. Add to that ton of power and you have the makings of a enjoyable and capable headphone amplifier. The look of the unit is nice as well as are controls.

I am going to add Schiit Midgard to my recommended list.

EDIT: video review just posted as well:

Manufacturer Specifications:

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, +/-0.01dB

Output Power

Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 5.5W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 4.8W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 3.2W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 750mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 375mW RMS per channel

THD+N

Low Gain: Less than 0.0001% (-118dB) at 4V RMS into 300 ohms
High Gain: Less than 0.0003% (-108dB) at 4V RMS into 300 ohms

IMD

Low Gain: Less than -112dB at 4V RMS into 300 ohms, CCIF
High Gain: Less than -110dB at 4V RMS into 300 ohms, CCIF

SNR

Low Gain: Greater than 128dB, referenced to 4V RMS
High Gain: Greater than 118dB, referenced to 4V RMS

Crosstalk

Less than -80dB, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 300 ohm load

Output Impedance

SE ¼” TRS output: less than 0.1 ohms
Neutrik 4-pin XLR output: approximately 2 ohms
Preamp output: 75 ohms

Input Impedance: 50k ohms

Gain: 1 (0db) or 5 (14db)

Topology: Fully discrete, DC coupled, highly linear open-loop with low loop feedback, Halo™ topology mixed-mode feedback for Neutrik 4-pin output

Protection: Failsafe DC power input and muting relay, overcurrent sensing and output lift

Power Supply: “Wall wart” style 14-16VAC transformer, stacked rails of +/-20V and +/-30V regulated voltage rails, 10,000uF total capacitance

Power Consumption: 3W idle, 16W max

Size: 9 x 6 x 1.5”

Weight: 2 lb

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review. If only I needed another HP amp... Are they sending you their new phone preamp? Looks interesting as well.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Could you test some headphone distortion in the TRS and 4 pin outputs?
I have done that in the past. It is a can of warms due to back EMF from the headphone. I will see if I can find the time to repeat....

Banzai

Couple questions about the preamp:
1. How do you put it in preamp mode? Since I don't see a button for it, I'm assuming it automatically switches over when both headphone outs are unplugged?
2. Can it take a balanced signal in, and output on the unbalanced pre outs? (and vice versa?)

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are the XLR and RCA outs at the back always on and at full range?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Great performance while not using opamps !!
Impressive for a SE discrete design with so few parts.

Frequency response may be impedance dependent a bit, could be tested by loading the amp with a headphone with varying impedance in XLR output.
Would be great if that were tested.

The amp is not balanced though and is single-ended.
So no extra power in XLR but it might differ in sound from SE out with headphones that have a varying impedance.

Are the XLR and RCA outs at the back always on and at full range?
from the Schiit FAQ:

How do the preamp outputs work? Do they mute when you plug headphones in?
Nope. They're on all the time.

Couple questions about the preamp:
1. How do you put it in preamp mode? Since I don't see a button for it, I'm assuming it automatically switches over when both headphone outs are unplugged?
2. Can it take a balanced signal in, and output on the unbalanced pre outs? (and vice versa?)

see the FAQ section here

Last edited:

Banzai

from the Schiit FAQ:

see the FAQ section here
Bummer, this kills it for me. I wouldn't want the preamp sending signal to my speakers when I'm listening to headphones, and I wouldn't want my headphone powered when they're sitting on the hook and I'm listening to speakers. This seems like a very odd design choice.

Palladium

from the Schiit FAQ:

Ugh that is also what I hated about the Topping DX1. I thought it would be obvious to any manufacturer by now that 99.99% of users who want to use headphones on a desktop HPA also wouldn't want a line-out signal going to their speakers at the same time.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
For a headphone amplifier? I don't think they make any headphone amplifiers with a stepped attenuator other than the Ragnarok 2, which has 60 watts of speaker love and possibly the headamp in Kara?

The chapter from Jason on this is around here somewhere.
Yes for a headphone amplifier. Why not?
Especially when it has preamp section.....

I have long cable for my Exapanse I like to lay in a comfy chair and be able to change volume and not getting up every time. It's called convenience. Not everything has to be cheap and made just to look good on graphs.

dzerig

Bummer, this kills it for me. I wouldn't want the preamp sending signal to my speakers when I'm listening to headphones, and I wouldn't want my headphone powered when they're sitting on the hook and I'm listening to speakers. This seems like a very odd design choice.
Most of their headphone amplifiers don't do this, Jotenheim has a switch on the front for example, Asgard 2 shuts off preouts automatically as does Magni+ ...

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
Yup usability of their products is something that they need to improve on.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes for a headphone amplifier. Why not?
Especially when it has preamp section.....

I have long cable for my Exapanse I like to lay in a comfy chair and be able to change volume and not getting up every time. It's called convenience. Not everything has to be cheap and made just to look good on graphs.
Precisely why I have 10+ meters of wireless (ancient) Sennheiser Headphones that I bought new many, many years ago.
Although 90+ % of my listening is done at louder than my vacuum cleaner levels on my speakers. That provides me with inside the house & outside in the front or back yard music, no headphones needed (unless I am mowing the yard).

Toroid

@amirm will you be reviewing the new Schiit Skoll phono pre amp soon? Im extremely interested in how well their higher end phono performs.

Top Bottom