• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neutrik NA2M-D2B-Tx balancing transformer adapter review

Rate this adapter

• Poor

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Not terrible

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Fine

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • Excellent

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yep seems totally reversible. Of course as the 47k load is utterly pointless (at least with a 1.6k load) we see no differences in the highs but expect none with a 10k load either.
They just as easily could have left the resistor out.
0.1dB (1%) is what one should expect from 1:1 transformers which why the 2.5dB puzzled me (I did not assume a 'quick' measurement without respect for '0dB' line :))
The 1dB drop from the 200ohm source was though.

The choice for RCA remains a bit weird as one can expect those outputs/inputs to be above -10dBV. For that reason alone it remains a 'weird' device as most people would buy this for consumer gear and RCA is not very common (but is used) in (semi-)pro circumstances.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Yeah, 2.5dB was my mistake due to being to fast. My apologies.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
speed kills...:)

Your measurements do show how it performs when it is used when used as intended and it is not a horrible load and can even be used in a mic and -10dBu level without sacrificing much.
Some vindication for the device when used as intended.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
0.1dB (1%) is what one should expect from 1:1 transformers which why the 2.5dB puzzled me. The 1dB drop from the 200ohm source was though.

Re measured 0.056 ohm vs. 200 ohm source impedance with unchanged input level (please remember that in case of 200R just the 200R resistor is inserted before the adapter without changing generator level, the generator is "steady" as explained several times). It is like a worm inside brain :), that forced me to re-measure source impedance effect.
Measured at -3dBu generator level.

NA2M_0.056R_vs._200R.png

Relative dBr Y axis non-scalled

Comparative plot in this post, this one https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/na2m_fr_0-056r_200r-png.293927/
was wrong as I unintentionally changed generator level between measurements. My apologies. Forget the old plot, please. I cannot edit the older post due to time limit.

NA2M_0.056R_vs._200R_rel.png

Transfer ratio of outputs with 0.056/200 R source imp. Higher source impedance (200R) worsens FR flatness (acc. input impedance plot).
200 ohm vs. 1.66kohm load impedance (Cosmos) makes that 1 dB approx.

Last edited:
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Please let me continue and let me add some technical info that is probably not self-explanatory and not clear at first view.
Please avoid driving this adapter or another link transformer from coupling capacitor, unless it is very big like >1000uF. Please see what the insertion of the capacitor is doing with frequency response. From now on, please also let me to post simulations instead of measurements, they fit with reality very well and preparation of various test setups is highly time consuming.

So, this happens with coupling capacitors of 10uF, 100uF and 1000uF. We can see Q peaking even with the 100uF capacitor. This is for 2kohm transformer load. Rising load to 10kohm considerably worsens the response with much higher peaking - maybe another surprise. In a real world, the coupling capacitor creates highly audible bass booming.

NA2M_coupling capacitor.png

BTW, anyone knows what is this?
trafo_out.jpg

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A proposal to 'fix' them so they can be used directly with hifi gear without being driven in saturation.
NA2-HIFI.png

An owner can modify them as shown above and then you can connect them to 4V XLR-out of a DAC to 0.4V RCA-in of an amp .... or the other version with 2V RCA-out DAC to 0.4V balanced XLR-in of an amp.
1k load to the source (DAC) and it is about 90 (or 200ohm) out (@1kHz) to the amplifier.
Of course you loose quite a few dB but you just turn the volume up a few notches.:)

Last edited:

KSTR

Major Contributor
I have a pair of such trafo, EI 40-50mm not more, BTW, the core seems isn't permalloy, it is slightly rusty.
Volume ratio of core and copper vs. the NTE1 still is approx. 100:1.
They are old-school construction, paper-isolated interleaved standard transformer sheet metal E-I segments and complex interleaving of the windings

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A proposal to 'fix' them so they can be used directly with hifi gear without being driven in saturation.
View attachment 294327
An owner can modify them as shown above and then you can connect them to 4V XLR-out of a DAC to 0.4V RCA-in of an amp .... or the other version with 2V RCA-out DAC to 0.4V balanced XLR-in of an amp.
1k load to the source (DAC) and it is about 90 (or 200ohm) out (@1kHz) to the amplifier.
Of course you loose quite a few dB but you just turn the volume up a few notches.:)
It seems you can buy these transformers separately as well:

They also offer "studio" versions, which appear to have better performance, but the NTL1 for instance isn't exactly cheap at around € 50,- vs € 10,- for the one in the tested adapter.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That one doesn't fit in the enclosure though as it is larger (hence the lower distortion and higher input level) and is encapsulated.
That one can certainly be used with line level conversion and would have measured just fine.
These are not used in any Neutrik converters. Would have driven up the price too much and also its size.

There are plenty that would do the trick as well but not in such a small size.

something like this:

or this for stereo:

when on a budget:

just not the one that was tested :)
I do own the DATI but never really needed it.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That one doesn't fit in the enclosure though as it is larger (hence the lower distortion and higher input level) and is encapsulated.
From what I see, it may actually still fit :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When using a hammer and grinding down the RCA contact on the inside.. maybe.:eek:
Perhaps Pavel is in for such a modification if you send him the NTL1.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or my post here regarding active converter. I hope it would be allowed sharing here again.

If we would be really serious in Balanced-to-Unbalanced and/or Unbalanced-to-Balanced conversions, we need to go into active professional converters, like TASCAM LA-40MkIII.

WS00005666.JPG

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And,,, if we would be "utmost extremely" serious about line level XLR-balanced --> RCA-unbalanced HiFi conversion, and if we would not care about budget, space, weight, power-consumption (operating-cost), we can use HiFi integrated amplifier which has XLR-in plus RCA-pre-out (and/or RCA-rec-out), such as ACCUPHASE E-XXX, E-XXXX series, YAMAHA A-S2XXX, A-S3XXX series (LOL!);)

Some of the higher grade ACCUPHASE E-XXX, E-XXXX seiries have XLR-balanced pre-out, and therefore, can be used for RCA-unbalanced --> XLR-balanced HiFi conversion (LOL!).:)

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Or my post here regarding active converter. I hope it would be allowed sharing here again.

If we would be really serious in Balanced-to-Unbalanced and/or Unbalanced-to-Balanced conversions, we need to go into active professional converters, like TASCAM LA-40MkIII.

Well yes... but expensive, needs power and does not break the ground, would be using only 2 of the 8 present channels, is big (19") (aside from the lift which isn't the same thing) which is the whole point of the tested cheap transformer thingies.

This is a cheaper and smaller active one:
and its even cheaper passive cousin/nephew:

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
That one doesn't fit in the enclosure though as it is larger

I have a competing product here, it is a custom-made transformer for me about 12 years ago. It accepts higher input voltage, but is is of course bigger.

custom_trafo.JPG

I have measured it at +10dBV and -5.1dBV (-3dbu) and these are the results:

Frequency response
Custom_linktrafo_FR.png

Note the difference in LF corner when level is high.

Distortion
Custom_linktrafo_thdfreq.png

+10dBV is the orange line. Lower distortion above 3kHz due to lower system noise floor at higher level.

THD, THD+N at 1kHz/10dBV
customtransformer_1k_10dBV.png

THD, THD+N at 50Hz/10dBV
customtransformer_50_10dBV.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you also have the device below you can fit it into the Neutrik enclosure or you would need a really nifty shoehorn.
D9w8a8EWkAApoWk.jpg

KSTR

Major Contributor

WS00005666.JPG
It does not help to fight ground loop effects on the RCA cable because there is no isolation.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Now, as in the previous post, the frequency response of Neutrik NA2M adapter also at +10dBV and -5.1dBV, and added 0dBV. I hope that now everyone who was hesitating must understand why @amirm has measured so different frequency response than me, when he pushed the adapter above its specified maximum level and measured it at 1V (0dBV).
NA2M_linktrafo_FR3.png

Top Bottom