• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neutrik NA2M-D2B-Tx balancing transformer adapter review

Rate this adapter

• Poor

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Not terrible

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Fine

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • Excellent

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters

pma

Major Contributor
Neutrik NA2M-D2B-TX miniature transformer balancing adapter review

index.php

I have read the ASR review on the almost same product, with the only difference that it had female XLR and black CINCH, though my adapter has male XLR and red CINCH, otherwise they are same. The review link is:

My opinion how to test transformer adapters was different than the methods used in the review above, so I have bought the adapter and made my own measurements.

Appearance

The product has arrived in a typical blister pack.

NA2M_photo.JPG

NA2M_inside.JPG

It is nicely built, with high quality Neutrik connectors and rugged metal housing, that would withstand severe handling.

Adapter circuit schematics

The adapter consists of input RCA female connector, metal housing, small signal transformer and output XLR male connector. It is intended for SE/balanced signal conversion and circuit separation, in other words a solution of hum in systems with signal ground loops. Its schematics is below
NA2M_adapter__sch3.png

R1 is a primary winding dc resistance (model), L1 is a primary winding inductance, R2 (model) and L2 same meaning at secondary. C1 is a stray capacitance between windings (model). R3 is a real resistor inside the box to flatten HF frequency response.

Specifications

The only available specifications are on the bottom of adapter blister package, saying:

NA2M_specs.jpg

Maximum input level defined at 50Hz and 1% THD is -3dBu (0.548 V). We shall check it.

Measurements

Measured circuit element values are as follows:
R1 = 56.8 ohm
L1 = 1.94 H
R2//R3 = 43.4 ohm
L2 = 1.91 H

Measuring system for frequency response, CMRR and distortion

My measuring system consists of Topping D10s USB DAC, Headamp2 (this is my design of headphone amplifier and is used because of its output impedance Zout = 0.056 ohm and 250 mA drive capability)

and E1DA Cosmos USB ADC switched to 4.5V input with input impedance Zin = 1.66 kohm.

Frequency response
NA2M_freqresponse.png

Frequency response, measured at -3dBu, is flat from 40Hz to 40kHz. At 20Hz, there is a -3dB roll-off.

P.S.: With a quick check, there was not so big difference in frequency response when the adapter was driven from 200 ohm impedance. Posted here.

CMRR – common mode rejection ratio

Most important use of these adapters is to break ground loops to fix hum and buzz issues when several class I components are interconnected. CMRR, which shows attenuation of input common mode voltage from input to output, is measured in a circuit shown below:
linktrafo_CMRR_test.png

and this is the result:
NA2M_CMRR.png

It is excellent, superb, 50Hz common voltage is suppressed of 135dB, 1kHz of 107 dB. This is quite impossible to get similar results with electronic preamplifier balanced input.

This is the example of adapter use – the system with Topping DAC, Headamp2 and Cosmos ADC has ground loop issue (if USB isolator is not used) that results in this horrible buzz spectrum:

Topping D10s - Headamp2 - E1DA Cosmos ADC direct.png

The same, absolutely same system after insertion of Neutrik NA2M adapter behaves like this:
Topping D10s - Headamp2 - E1DA Cosmos ADC NA2M.png

This is the key use of such adapters, we do not use them to break SINAD barriers, but to break ground loops!

Distortion measurements

THD vs. output voltage
NA2M_THDlevel_50-1k.png

THD vs. output voltage was measured at 50Hz and 1kHz. 1% THD at 50Hz was at 0.6 V, which is slightly better than specified.

THD vs. frequency at -3dBu (as per specs)
NA2M_THDfreq_-3dBu.png

THD is acceptable above 100 Hz.

Conclusion

Neutrik NA2M-D2B-T transformer adapter will find its use in the systems with ground loop issues or to separate 2 systems with big voltage differences between 2 grounds. CMRR is excellent and is better than with electronic balanced inputs and the adapter accepts higher CMV voltages. It has to be driven from low impedance, 5 ohm or less at best. When driven from low impedance, it has wide and flat frequency response. It is usable for voltage levels <= 0.5V without audible degradation of the signal. I am voting "not terrible" with respect to higher distortion, changing vote to "fine" with respect to excellent CMRR and built quality.

Comments are welcome and more measurements can be done upon request.

-----------------------

Addendum

Per requests, I have measured the adapter also in the opposite direction, with XLR input and RCA output. I have measured both distortion and frequency response. The results are in both directions almost same, as can be seen from the plots below:

NA2M_THDfreq_-3dBu_2directions.png

NA2M_adapter_FR_2directions.png

Last edited:
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
THD vs. frequency at -3dBu, input distortion (green) vs. adapter output (orange). We can see that even the preamp with Zout = 0.056 ohm is quite affected below 100Hz.

NA2M_THDfreq_-3dBu_I-O.png

Same at lower level - 280mV
NA2M_THDfreq_280mV_I-O.png

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the measurements.
I'm rather a fan of transformer balancing and unbalancing, mostly for the reason you mentioned, that of Common Mode rejection, that's generally far better than can be achieved electronically.

One thing I noticed is that your measuring ADC has an input impedance of only 1.66kohms. That's probably a bit low for a product of this nature, and I think you would get better distortion at LF if the input impedance was a more normal 10k or above.

As problem solvers, these items are invaluable for finding out where a problem lies, and I use mine (DIY using Sowter transformers) fairly regularly.

S.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
While the schematic is kind of correct for simulation it does not represent what is inside.
That would only be the transformer.
Perhaps only post what is inside. People may not read of understand the remarks.

I would assume that the shield of the RCA is isolated from the metal chassis and on the XLR side pin 1 is connected to the shield.
I wonder if the XLR-XLR version has pin 1 connected to shield on both sides ?

Last edited:
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
One thing I noticed is that your measuring ADC has an input impedance of only 1.66kohms. That's probably a bit low for a product of this nature, and I think you would get better distortion at LF if the input impedance was a more normal 10k or above.

As far as I have ever measured, lower load impedance only affects HF -3dB roll off, which has not happened here. And, lower load impedance may/would flatten the frequency response at high frequencies. It only stresses more the generator, which is unimportant here, it works well to anything >= 32 ohm.

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you for the very detailed measurements.
I wonder what will happen when you insert 200/600 ohms at input and 2k/10k ohms at output load, as per manufacturer's specification?

Reactions: pma
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Thank you for the very detailed measurements.
I wonder what will happen when you insert 200/600 ohms at input and 2k/10k ohms at output load, as per manufacturer's specification?

I think I know the answers, however, let me do it later and post some results.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Inside, we have two connectors, a small (miniature) link transformer and a load resistor on XLR pins (to flatten the FR Q peak), that is why measured R2 was lower than R1.

View attachment 293743
So it's RCA in and XLR out. 4k7 load ?

Now the schematics need to be revised again :D

Last edited:
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor

Definitely RCA in XLR out, it has XLR male connector and in all posts here you can see it that way and it was measured that way. Balanced IN - RCA out would make no sense to me.

Yes, the circuit should be revised - who cares? :D
Changes made.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
who cares?

Aside from me ? ... no one I guess... just for posterity
In the attached data sheet the resistor is shown as well.
Both on the XLR-F and XLR-M drawing.
Funny how the output is drawn on the left and input on the right side. Maybe it is drawn by Chinese or Arabic people (writing from R to L) ?
As this is designed to go RCA in and XLR out only (and not the other way around) it also explains why Amir measured an increase in HF from XLR to RCA .
Simply because it was loaded with 100k (too high) while the correct direction (RCA to XLR) has an internal load resistor (I assume 47k)

that is why measured R2 was lower than R1.

That load resistor would not account for the measured DC winding difference though as that would require an 180ohm load resistor.

Last edited:

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Inside, we have two connectors, a small (miniature) link transformer and a load resistor on XLR pins (to flatten the FR Q peak), that is why measured R2 was lower than R1.

View attachment 293743
Ohh, the trafo is really tiny, seems EI 10mm! That's what I would like to avoid using. As I saw today on Taobao, EI 20-25 permalloy trafo is just $5-7.

Gruesome

Forum Donor

If I see the colors correctly in PMA's picture, the resistor is coded yellow violet black - red = 47 kOhm.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Neutrik NA2M-D2B-TX miniature transformer balancing adapter review

index.php

I have read the ASR review on the almost same product, with the only difference that it had female XLR and black CINCH, though my adapter has male XLR and red CINCH, otherwise they are same. The review link is:

My opinion how to test transformer adapters was different than the methods used in the review above, so I have bought the adapter and made my own measurements.

Appearance

The product has arrived in a typical blister pack.

View attachment 293719

View attachment 293742

It is nicely built, with high quality Neutrik connectors and rugged metal housing, that would withstand severe handling.

Adapter circuit schematics

The adapter consists of input RCA female connector, metal housing, small signal transformer and output XLR male connector. It is intended for SE/balanced signal conversion and circuit separation, in other words a solution of hum in systems with signal ground loops. Its schematics is below
View attachment 293747
R1 is a primary winding dc resistance (model), L1 is a primary winding inductance, R2 (model) and L2 same meaning at secondary. C1 is a stray capacitance between windings (model). R3 is a real resistor inside the box to flatten HF frequency response.

Specifications

The only available specifications are on the bottom of adapter blister package, saying:

View attachment 293721

Maximum input level defined at 50Hz and 1% THD is -3dBu (0.548 V). We shall check it.

Measurements

Measured circuit element values are as follows:
R1 = 56.8 ohm
L1 = 1.94 H
R2 = 43.4 ohm
L2 = 1.91 H

Measuring system for frequency response, CMRR and distortion

My measuring system consists of Topping D10s USB DAC, Headamp2 (this is my design of headphone amplifier and is used because of its output impedance Zout = 0.056 ohm and 250 mA drive capability)

and E1DA Cosmos USB ADC switched to 4.5V input with input impedance Zin = 1.66 kohm.

Frequency response
View attachment 293722
Frequency response, measured at -3dBu, is flat from 40Hz to 40kHz. At 20Hz, there is a -3dB roll-off.

CMRR – common mode rejection ratio

Most important use of these adapters is to break ground loops to fix hum and buzz issues when several class I components are interconnected. CMRR, which shows attenuation of input common mode voltage from input to output, is measured in a circuit shown below:
View attachment 293728
and this is the result:
View attachment 293723
It is excellent, superb, 50Hz common voltage is suppressed of 135dB, 1kHz of 107 dB. This is quite impossible to get similar results with electronic preamplifier balanced input.

This is the example of adapter use – the system with Topping DAC, Headamp2 and Cosmos ADC has ground loop issue (if USB isolator is not used) that results in this horrible buzz spectrum:

View attachment 293724

The same, absolutely same system after insertion of Neutrik NA2M adapter behaves like this:
View attachment 293725
This is the key use of such adapters, we do not use them to break SINAD barriers, but to break ground loops!

Distortion measurements

THD vs. output voltage
View attachment 293726
THD vs. output voltage was measured at 50Hz and 1kHz. 1% THD at 50Hz was at 0.6 V, which is slightly better than specified.

THD vs. frequency at -3dBu (as per specs)
View attachment 293727
THD is acceptable above 100 Hz.

Conclusion

Neutrik NA2M-D2B-T transformer adapter will find its use in the systems with ground loop issues or to separate 2 systems with big voltage differences between 2 grounds. CMRR is excellent and is better than with electronic balanced inputs and the adapter accepts higher CMV voltages. It has to be driven from low impedance, 5 ohm or less at best. When driven from low impedance, it has wide and flat frequency response. It is usable for voltage levels <= 0.5V without audible degradation of the signal. I am voting "not terrible" with respect to higher distortion, changing vote to "fine" with respect to excellent CMRR and built quality.

Comments are welcome and more measurements can be done upon request.
Excellent. Thank you, Pavel.

With a capable driver circuit this transformer is fine overall unless you ask for high levels at LF.
But with 40R or even 200R output impedance the LF corner will move up quite a bit (estimate for 200R: ~100Hz)

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
If I see the colors correctly in PMA's picture, the resistor is coded yellow violet black - red = 47 kOhm.
Such high resistor value would make no sense, would make no Q reduction. Much, much less in fact ;). The reason why R3 is used is to kill HF FR peaking.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Great mirror review @pma, thanks!

Some of us may have issues with ground loops in subs, and clearly these kind of products are not usable for that. What kind of transformer may work well in that case for a decent budget?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
yep, see post # 12.... unless the red is actually brown which would make more sense as 4.7k would be a reasonable load. 470ohm would be a bit low.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely RCA in XLR out, it has XLR male connector and in all posts here you can see it that way and it was measured that way. Balanced IN - RCA out would make no sense to me.
There are two types of the adapter where just the XLR sex is different. Why it makes no sense to you to feed XLR in? It’s just connector polarity. Besides, you are confusing us by making a different test to @amirm’s who fed signal to the XLR socket while presenting your test to be the same as his.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review, pma!

Top Bottom