• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH80 DSP Monitor Measurements #3

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I had my gain setting tweaked down to give myself more volume headroom on my DAC, as it was far too loud otherwise, so that also ruled that out.

I'm just sensitive to hiss, and I'm not the only one.
What was your listening distance?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Desktop usage, so about 1M or so.
OK.

For 5dB(A) SPL at 1m, as spec'ed by Genelec, for this to reduce to 0dB(A) SPL you need to be listening at least 1.8m away.

Say you have a very low noise floor in your room, which isn't so unlikely at the kHz frequencies of hiss, there's a good chance to hear it if you're only a meter away.

The main "subjective" element here is if you have hearing damage or not.

lc155

OK.

For 5dB(A) SPL at 1m, as spec'ed by Genelec, for this to reduce to 0dB(A) SPL you need to be listening at least 1.8m away.

Say you have a very low noise floor in your room, which isn't so unlikely at the kHz frequencies of hiss, there's a good chance to hear it if you're only a meter away.

The main "subjective" element here is if you have hearing damage or not.

I have jaw issue induced tinnitus (only noticeable in quiet, so I'm more likely to be annoyed by persistent sounds in silence due to this, probably), but other than that I have undamaged young ears.

It kind of bothers me passives can be utterly silent but this is such a bothersome issue on a lot of actives.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just love my KH 80 DSP, one of those purchases I am proud of and enjoy every day I use them.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
It kind of bothers me passives can be utterly silent but this is such a bothersome issue on a lot of actives.
"Can be" is the key here. It depends on the amp and sensitivity of the speaker.

Thankfully all of the attention to actives these days means that speaker companies will likely deal will this issue more seriously.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR exposes them a lot, and now that Amir is also testing for hiss, should put extra awareness on the public and pressure on the manufacturers to get it right.

lc155

Yeah, that would be great.
I just love my KH 80 DSP, one of those purchases I am proud of and enjoy every day I use them.
Good to hear. While interested in the 120s, I am also considering the 80s considering that where I'd put them is now likely on the wall above my monitors. Again, though, annoying I couldn't even play with the DSP stuff.

usern

Did you guys have different gain settings on the back of the speaker?
When I had 8030C, I tried different input gain setting and it didn't help much if at all. KH80 are tolerably quiet at 94 dB and 100 dB output setting. I'm using 94 dB.

lc155

When I had 8030C, I tried different input gain setting and it didn't help much if at all. KH80 are tolerably quiet at 94 dB and 100 dB output setting. I'm using 94 dB.

Yep, matches what I experienced. What did you think of the two speakers, beyond the hiss con?

usern

Yep, matches what I experienced. What did you think of the two speakers, beyond the hiss con?
8030C was a bit sibilant and of course it has more bass due to larger drivers. I use KH 750 DSP sub (it's also acting as DAC) with my KH 80 and have no complaints.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
If Amir measures KH80 again, the universe will implode. :oops:

We have measurements for KH120:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We never got to see distortion measurements for these . I am interested in KH120s though
Nope, only these as far as I know.

radix

Major Contributor
I have my KH80 on my desktop on vesa stands, so tweeter is at ear level. They are 30" from my head (0.76m). I hear no hiss. I use the AES BNC input on the sub, then balanced to the KH80. I have the gain set to 0 on the KH80, but the control is set for network, not local.

Marc

usern

Amir did distortion measurements also, but it's not referenced in this or the first thread OP. @amirm could you edit the first post to also reference the distortion measurements there?

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
Sadly, no iPad to use with the DSP software, though. Load of balls that you have to do that.
I dedicated some time to create an Android app to control this speakers. It’s in a very preliminary state and I didn’t have a lot of spare time this last months, but if somebody wants to try it, drop me a PM (before I give up and abandon it).

(I’m not sure I’m allowed to post something like this here, just delete it if not)

Top Bottom