• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH80 DSP Monitor Measurements #3

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Thanks for responding I hope the kh 120 gets a review then very curious how it will compare.
There's no point in getting the KH80, price difference is small, KH120 got plenty loud in my room so I don't see any benefits in KH 80

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
It costs 48% more that's quite significant.
They're pretty close in price, I'd definitely choose the 8030C over the the KH80
Screenshot_20211015-050200.jpg
Screenshot_20211015-050226.jpg

astcal

Forum Donor
KH80’s are near-field speakers designed to be 1 meter or so from the listener. I am puzzled you feel they are not loud enough. I have mine on my computer desk and they are too loud to my ears!

wisechoice

Just bought a single KH80 as a center to round out my first 5.1 setup in a small (untreated) living room! At first I was a bit disappointed by the sound of the speaker alone when listening to it on my desk for music, but now I'm impressed by the clarity of voices when connected to a Genelec 7050c 5.1 analog subwoofer. The KH80 is in the center cubby hole of an Ikea TV stand, but I'm hoping the front-porting of the speaker and foam (angling it up to the listening position) help at least a little bit with the odd placement.

The much, much more expensive alternatives to the KH80 that I was considering were the Genelec 8331 in horizontal mode (point source coaxial design but rear-ported), or a KH 310 (sealed design, but would necessarily be off-center due to the furniture). I could have also used another KH120 on its side for the centre, but was concerned about the vertical cum horizontal directivity for two people sitting on the couch.

The KH120s are serving as LR, and a pair of Genelec 8010s are the surrounds. All are routed through the 7050c, which in turn is fed by 3 DACs connected to a Digiface USB. The Digiface is connected to a Mac mini, but for Blu-ray & streaming box, I'm using an HDMI splitter to feed both my LG CX 48" and a DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K, the latter of which passes 5.1 audio to the Digiface via OBS Studio. I'm a filmmaker, and so now I have a surround system with studio monitors for both music and video—both for entertainment/research and "reference" viewing.

I was slightly concerned about having mismatched speakers, but the small 8010s are a lot better aesthetically than another pair of KH120s. And they sound great. In retrospect, I could have bought all matching KH80s for not much more cost, but I started out with analog speakers to avoid additional processing to DSD audio after the DACs in the signal chain. In the end, I had to compromise on both the matched speakers, and the "pure" five channel DSD.

We have limited space to work with here, and may not be here for more than another year or so, so buying new furniture wasn't really an option. Also, we're on the third floor of an old triplex that's attached to its neighbours on both sides, and can't play things too loud due to the neighbours beside and below. Especially with that subwoofer! So having the lower SPL of the KH80 in this space isn't really a problem.

Attachments

• IMG_3363.jpg
    IMG_3363.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_3364.jpg
    IMG_3364.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Just bought a single KH80 as a center to round out my first 5.1 setup in a small (untreated) living room! At first I was a bit disappointed by the sound of the speaker alone when listening to it on my desk for music, but now I'm impressed by the clarity of voices when connected to a Genelec 7050c 5.1 analog subwoofer. The KH80 is in the center cubby hole of an Ikea TV stand, but I'm hoping the front-porting of the speaker and foam (angling it up to the listening position) help at least a little bit with the odd placement.

The much, much more expensive alternatives to the KH80 that I was considering were the Genelec 8331 in horizontal mode (point source coaxial design but rear-ported), or a KH 310 (sealed design, but would necessarily be off-center due to the furniture). I could have also used another KH120 on its side for the centre, but was concerned about the vertical cum horizontal directivity for two people sitting on the couch.

The KH120s are serving as LR, and a pair of Genelec 8010s are the surrounds. All are routed through the 7050c, which in turn is fed by 3 DACs connected to a Digiface USB. The Digiface is connected to Mac mini, and I'm using an HDMI splitter to feed both my LG CX 48" and a DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K, the latter of which passes 5.1 audio to the Digiface via OBS Studio. I'm a filmmaker, and so now I have a surround system with studio monitors for both music and video—both for entertainment/research and "reference" viewing.

I was slightly concerned about having mismatched speakers, but the small 8010s are a lot better aesthetically than another pair of KH120s. And they sound great. In retrospect, I could have bought all matching KH80s for not much more cost, but I started out with analog speakers to avoid additional processing to DSD audio after the DACs in the signal chain. In the end, I had to compromise on both the matched speakers, and the "pure" five channel DSD.

We have limited space to work with here, and may not be here for more than another year or so, so buying new furniture wasn't really an option. Also, we're on the third floor of an old triplex that's attached to its neighbours on both sides, and can't play things too loud due to the neighbours beside and below. Especially with that subwoofer! So having the lower SPL of the KH80 in this space isn't really a problem.

I like how you were able to make the most out of the small space. Though I’d probably like to test listening to just the center speaker in solo with/out the coffee table which looks to be in the direct path of the center.

wisechoice

I like how you were able to make the most out of the small space. Though I’d probably like to test listening to just the center speaker in solo with/out the coffee table which looks to be in the direct path of the center.
Thanks! And good point. I often move the coffee table to the window. Though even this way, we have a clear view to the speaker from the couch. Hard to say if there's much of a difference or not.

Last edited:

lc155

I had both 8030C and KH 80 DSP, both sound and look good, but I returned 8030C because of much more noticeable hiss.

Same experience with the 8030C. It sounded nice, but the hiss killed me. I'm interested to hear how much the KH80 can really punch out despite being smaller than the KH120.

Sadly, no iPad to use with the DSP software, though. Load of balls that you have to do that.

YSC

Major Contributor
Same experience with the 8030C. It sounded nice, but the hiss killed me. I'm interested to hear how much the KH80 can really punch out despite being smaller than the KH120.

Sadly, no iPad to use with the DSP software, though. Load of balls that you have to do that.
I somehow just wonders was that the power supply or something causing this as I am using 8030C in HK with 220V mains which is pretty stable, and not me or any visitor ever can hear any hiss even putting our ears next to the tweeter.

lc155

I somehow just wonders was that the power supply or something causing this as I am using 8030C in HK with 220V mains which is pretty stable, and not me or any visitor ever can hear any hiss even putting our ears next to the tweeter.

Definitely not. I spoke with a Genelec tech before I returned them, and he outright said that 'dirty power' just wouldn't do anything to the hiss, because the power supplies in the units do power conditioning already. I'm also on that voltage, being in the UK.

YSC

Major Contributor
Definitely not. I spoke with a Genelec tech before I returned them, and he outright said that 'dirty power' just wouldn't do anything to the hiss, because the power supplies in the units do power conditioning already. I'm also on that voltage, being in the UK.
Then I just have no idea, and somehow my ears aren’t bad and can hear the mosquito repeller in the living room when I was like 10m away.. yet no hiss ever heard

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Then I just have no idea, and somehow my ears aren’t bad and can hear the mosquito repeller in the living room when I was like 10m away.. yet no hiss ever heard

I had both 8030C and KH 80 DSP, both sound and look good, but I returned 8030C because of much more noticeable hiss.
Did you guys have different gain settings on the back of the speaker?

1634907465132.png

This is the measured spec for Genelec:
1634907563451.png

This spec is likely accurate for some particular setting and matches what's been tested. I've recorded results here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hiss-list-s-r.18050/

I have KH80s and they hiss audibly if I increase the sensitivity.

lc155

Did you guys have different gain settings on the back of the speaker?

View attachment 160691

This is the measured spec for Genelec:
View attachment 160696
This spec is likely accurate for some particular setting and matches what's been tested. I've recorded results here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hiss-list-s-r.18050/

I have KH80s and they hiss audibly if I increase the sensitivity.

I had my gain setting tweaked down to give myself more volume headroom on my DAC, as it was far too loud otherwise, so that also ruled that out.

I'm just sensitive to hiss, and I'm not the only one.

EDIT: It seems, based on your list, the observations that many make that Neumann > Genelec in the hiss department do indeed hold.

Top Bottom